i get codes

21: Coolant Temperature Sensor or Circuit
31: Throttle Position Sensor or Circuit
56: EGR System
23: Air Flow Meter or Circuit

the car has a 5 pseed covertion in it
an engine with about 70k from another car in it
and a cone air filter instead of the air box

the symptoms i get with theses codes are that it will run great sometimes but most of the time it feels like there is some thing not letting enough air into the engine but then it will switch in an instant to running fine. it feels like i gave the engine a shot of nitrous when it starts to run right. other times it feels like it is missing. like a plug isint firing. and when i start it it always idles at 2500 rpms untill it warms up and then it will idle at anbout 650-750 unless it gets completely cold again. but when the idle does come down the engine surges up and down in rpms like it cant controll the idle air bypass. so i dont know where to even start with these codes.
i recenly cleaned the maf and repaired a hose that had a hole in it leading to the intake right before the throttle body. after doing that it ran a little better. about six months ago i replaced the plugs and thats about when the problem seamed to arise, shortly after that, about a month or so.
i put two cans of sea foam through a vac hose on the throttle body before i changed the plugs. i wonder if my alternator is giving out some ac voltage and causeing everything to go wacko?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: help with my engine

In would replace the MAF with a known good one, clear the codes and then see if any codes return.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I'd start with a new coolant temp sensor, it's an easy fix. It's on the right side of the engine behind the intake manifold. Do a search. Then try a TPS adjustment, hopefully it doesn't need to be replaced. You can find instructions on the site. The EGR shouldn't cause any symptoms but I may be wrong. The MAF error should have cleared up if you cleaned it. Did you reset your ECU after checking for codes?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
I'd start with a new coolant temp sensor, it's an easy fix. It's on the right side of the engine behind the intake manifold. Do a search. Then try a TPS adjustment, hopefully it doesn't need to be replaced. You can find instructions on the site. The EGR shouldn't cause any symptoms but I may be wrong. The MAF error should have cleared up if you cleaned it. Did you reset your ECU after checking for codes?
I agree. Start with the coolant temp sensor. The codes are set up so that the lower number code should be done first as it may cause the ECU to read errors with the parts that are higher up on the list. So clean the maf and change the CTS, then disconnect the battery overnight to reset all codes, drive it awhile to see if the SEL pops back on and then re-read the codes to see what its showing.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 PM

Cool Re: help with my engine

Yes replaced my temperature sensor & my worries went away - cheap NZ$30 fix.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 AM

Registered SVX

+1 on CTS. I have had some similar symptoms and I started throwing money at the car there first. It's about $20 and easy to replace. Then I would suspect the MAF as well, mine was bad causing surging and random stalling. Replacing my MAF relieved the surging and stalling.

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
1993 968 Coupe 6-speed, 80,xxx miles black, H&R springs