IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Powerless windows

Hey guys, need a little insight from some people who know more than I do:
My power windows and sunroof no longer work. There seems to be no power at the switches...you can try any switch for any window and none of them do anything. There's no motor sounds, mechanical movement..anything.
In the few days prior to this happening, the window switches seemed to be making poor contact...You'd have to press them a few times for the windows to go down. The same applies to the sunroof. Once they did move though, they worked fine.

It should also be noted, the dumbasses who rebuilt...rather.. attempted to rebuild the car after it's accident prior to my ownership) decided the drivers side of the windshield doesnt need urethane As a result, it leaks during heavy rainfall....water seems to run down the pillar and leak near the kick panel

Now here's where you guys come in. What should I check out? Could this be as simple as a fuse? (if so, what one) Are there any relay behind the dash that could be corroding, making bad contact, and preventing this from working? Any other suggestions?

-Eric
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
bump
Need to be able to go through a toll booth...any sugestions? I already tried looking at all the fuses, I swiched the driver's main switch cluster, and started pulling apart the dash to look for anything obviously broke, but I dont know what exactly Im looking for
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 09-05-2007, 09:39 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
The wires running through the loom from the car to the door may have been pinched. Happened on my mom's Jeep and now the pass. side window won't go down with the driver's side switches.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM
.... what a sweet ride !!

Registered SVX
Eric - I found this on another thread and saved it for a "Power Windowless Day" that for me, hasn't come - yet.

I don't remember what thread it was, but maybe it will help you.......

Fuse 15 feeds the actuator side of the Power window relay, with the real power to drive the windows etc., feeding straight off the Fusible link through the contact side of the PW relay.

Both fuse 15 and the fusible link are hooked in series with the sunroof switch, and both come directly before them. Fuse 15 through the small filament/relay actuator side, and the fusible link feeding through both the PW circuit breaker, then the high amp side of relay, then on to the sunroof switch.

That means it has to be either in the PW relay or PW circuit breaker since both systems are out on your car. The PW relay is underneath the driver's seat on a bracket along with the PW circuit breaker.

Along with the above text I also saved the URL for this thread that may also help you. http://tinyurl.com/35qyya

Good Luck!

'02 Outback - Wife's car
'96 Legacy Wagon - Son's car
'95 Legacy Sedan - #5 Daughter's car
'93 Impreza Sedan - #4 Daughter's car
'92 Claret LS-L - My car ____________
TOTAL = 595,000 Subi miles
Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Already looked into pinched wires while I had the kick panel and lower portion of the dash apart....No go

Jim...the info you gave is EXACTLY what I needed. Ill check out the fuse and relay you mentioned (srs, meter, lamp...windows? Lol, so vaugely labeled)
I have a hunch though, that Ill find some badly corroded contacts under the drivers seat. The floor DOES get wet because of the window leak, so it makes sence that the culprit would be either behind the dash or on the floor...Ill be checking it out tomorrow. Ill post results as they develop

Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
OOC for a while

My windows are doing this again Eric. Just today, the driver's window decided it would go down about 2 inches, but not up. I tried cleaning the contacts again, didn't work. The relay is good cuz I tested it. I was just going to hot wire 12v into the motor to get the window back up for now, but couldn't find the right wires going into it, also couldn't get a 12v power source close enough to the wires. I need help quick because we're getting a bad ice/snow sometime soon and I only have a tarp covering the window right now.

There's no power to the switch assembly at all. There is however power to the plug for the door light(when the door is open).

I checked the fuse(?) where the two yellow wires connect to and that's good.

My window won't go up, time to part the car

Last edited by 94SubieSVX; 12-12-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Check the connector under the driver's seat, and I mean under, under the driver's seat as there is a flap of carpet you'll have to lift so you can reach down into the space the connector is in. It's infinitely easier if you pull the seat out first. You'll probably find that the connector is corroded to the point where the wires going into it aren't even making contact anymore. Jump the wires around the connector and enjoy being able to open the sunroof and windows again.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Provide a good ground to it then retry. I'll bet its got a suspect ground.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Check the connector under the driver's seat, and I mean under, under the driver's seat as there is a flap of carpet you'll have to lift so you can reach down into the space the connector is in. It's infinitely easier if you pull the seat out first. You'll probably find that the connector is corroded to the point where the wires going into it aren't even making contact anymore. Jump the wires around the connector and enjoy being able to open the sunroof and windows again.
-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Provide a good ground to it then retry. I'll bet its got a suspect ground.

Already did both of them. Though I'm gonna try cleaning out the plug again. There's still a little bit of white grease(???) in it. But the relay(under the seat) contacts and the fuse on the other side of the relay are clean, no corrosion.

I just hot wired 12v to the window motor to close it for now.

I'm thinking it might be my master switch assembly because it's been being funny recently. I took it apart and totally fubared the lock/unlock button so I think a new one is coming in the future.