Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Report button

It seems to be a feature of these forums that when a post is made that is close to or over the borderline, we get plenty of people to stir up the situation, and nobody seems to use the "Report this post to a moderator" button.

Why is this?

Until Cruisen_15 or any other member hits the official report button, we usually allow debate to continue on the basis that you are all adults, and should know the limits of propriety. At that point what we are dealing with is hot air.

When the hot air changes to flames, a rule is broken and we will deal with any who start, or fan the flames.

We want to keep this forum clean and light hearted, so a certain amount of tolerance is required.

Just the same, keep it clean and non personal, we are all trying to be friends here, and trying to help those new to the SVX.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Joe,

Why the obtuse whitewash, unfortunately from one who has assumed a position as a moderator?

Sincerely, Trevor.
Just so we have the facts straight...

Joe is actually an Administrator.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:59 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
where is this report to moderator button you speak of for future reference? Is that the exclamation icon in the corner? Or are you just basically saying to PM the moderator(s)?

Thank you for removing the unappropriate picture of female genitalia.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Trevor, I take exception to this interpretation of my post.

You opened this thread to complain about the closing of the original thread.

Implication: Over strict moderation.

WE mods follow a policy of hands off where possible, and in that spirit I mentioned that I tolerate jokes and jibes "up to a point". I then go on to make the case that a joke that is not appreciated by the target can be an insult and you then castigate me for treating the matter lightly?

Implication: Not strict enough moderation.

Exactly which way do you want it?

Respectfully

Joe
Joe, please do not read between my lines.

I did not complain about the closing of the original thread. I simply used the only option open, towards helping someone who I was confident had been hurt. In this you will note that I am not alone.

The situation did not call for banning or whatever, but I have noted words of warning have been inserted in much less acute circumstances. Your post was one of appeasement, when a spade required calling a spade. With this I did not agree.

Sincerely, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95 View Post
where is this report to moderator button you speak of for future reference? Is that the exclamation icon in the corner? Or are you just basically saying to PM the moderator(s)?

Thank you for removing the unappropriate picture of female genitalia.
Yes, exactly, the exclamation mark in a triangle.

You are welcome.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Also, yes, a PM to a moderator will always receive a reply and a response as deemed appropriate.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

I did not complain about the closing of the original thread. I simply used the only option open, towards helping someone who I was confident had been hurt. In this you will note that I am not alone.

The situation did not call for banning or whatever, but I have noted words of warning have been inserted in much less acute circumstances. Your post was one of appeasement, when a spade required calling a spade. With this I did not agree.

Sincerely, Trevor.
Thanks Trevor,

I now understand how you see the matter.

My post was intended as one of leading by example, not as one of appeasement.

Interesting how we all view the world through different coloured glasses, isn't it?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
It seems to be a feature of these forums that when a post is made that is close to or over the borderline, we get plenty of people to stir up the situation, and nobody seems to use the "Report this post to a moderator" button.

Why is this?

Until Cruisen_15 or any other member hits the official report button, we usually allow debate to continue on the basis that you are all adults, and should know the limits of propriety. At that point what we are dealing with is hot air.

When the hot air changes to flames, a rule is broken and we will deal with any who start, or fan the flames.

We want to keep this forum clean and light hearted, so a certain amount of tolerance is required.

Just the same, keep it clean and non personal, we are all trying to be friends here, and trying to help those new to the SVX.

Joe
Joe, I answer your question.

As one of those you accuse of stirring up a situation, I can not understand how you could expect an outcome whereby “Cruisen_15 or any other member would hit the official report button, within such as these current circumstances.

-------“When the hot air changes to flames, a rule is broken and we will deal with any who start, or fan the flames.”

Covertly you imply that you will deal with me, the electric fan?

-------“ We want to keep this forum clean and light hearted, so a certain amount of tolerance is required.”

You now make clear the level of tolerance which is acceptable to you as an administrator. I doubt that all will agree with your judgement.

---------“ Just the same, keep it clean and non personal, we are all trying to be friends here, and trying to help those new to the SVX.”

I have no alternative but to address you personally and I do so as a friend of quite long standing. Agreed, it is important that help is given to new members, the very reason for this thread.

The object of stifling all objections from the floor in order to maintain an exact equilibrium is laudable but impractical and non democratic. If I had pushed the moderator button this would not have produced the required result, i.e. that a new member could feel he had the support of the majority. Members must retain the right to object and offer support in the event that another is insulted.

N.B. It is interesting that at this point Brian has in affect been officially vindicated.

What is more there has been no retraction and I/we can only hope and trust that “Cruisen 15” is well aware that he is welcome here. I make no apology in respect of initiating a debate in order to achieve same. The situation has in fact been “stirred up”, as a result of untimely appeasement.

Sincerely, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Joe,

Why the obtuse whitewash, unfortunately from one who has assumed a position as a moderator?

Just why is it OK to slag of any member within these forums in any shape or form, much less with the aid of inappropriate images? N.B. Your assessment of what is an acceptable joke is not confirmed by others within this thread.

The point is that the post DID COME ACROSS AS “A RUDE INSULT”. What is more the recipient of the insult had only recently joined our ranks.

Read this, Brian’s post again; note the included sarcasm, and how directly it is addressed :-

“You don't get out much do you?

Seems you guys can't even remotely bust someone's balls around here for being a ricer or asking very stupid questions without someone (mostly sensitivity boy trevor) making a thread like this crying about it. I know it's a family oriented G-rated warm fuzzy site but damn, I mean it's just the internet.. relax.

Be very sure this “boy trevor” is no prude. The sarcastic personal insult directed at me is witless to the extent that it is of no concern. However the remainder of the tirade was hurtful to the another member. This fact, is well confirmed, as of grave concern.

There are those who value a “family oriented G-rated warm fuzzy site”, and I am confident that it is they who have contributed the most to its success. Decline is a slippery slope. Resistance requires fortitude.

Joe, we have lady members here. They will not object to, and may even contribute with the odd bawdy joke, but have you no sense of propriety?

Sincerely, Trevor.
Quote:
Trevor, I take exception to this interpretation of my post.

You opened this thread to complain about the closing of the original thread.

Implication: Over strict moderation.

WE mods follow a policy of hands off where possible, and in that spirit I mentioned that I tolerate jokes and jibes "up to a point". I then go on to make the case that a joke that is not appreciated by the target can be an insult and you then castigate me for treating the matter lightly?

Implication: Not strict enough moderation.

Exactly which way do you want it?

Respectfully

Joe
Quote:

Why is this?

Joe
Quote:

Sincerely, Trevor.
Posts like the ones above are exactly why I don't spend as much time here as I used to...

So everyone is overly sensitive and then wants to argue about sarcasm and feelings that were projected through a post... First off, that is the bad thing about the internet YOU CAN'T ACCURATELY PROJECT FEELINGS AND SARCASM OVER THE INTERNET... When someone asks a question, they are going to get an answer. That answer might have some hints of sarcasm or other things (like many of my responses), but that is only because either the person didn't search for it first, their grammar and typing withing the post would suggest a moron, or the question was just a stupid one that could have been answered with some common knowledge on how basic machines work. Contrary to what our school teachers and parents have probably told us, there ARE such things as stupid questions... Because of this, you are always going to have some people that respond to questions with a certian "specialness" in their answer. Some call it sarcasm, some call it verbal abuse. I call it answering a question on the level that the question was asked, while adding alittle hint to the asker that they need to think about stuff before they ask a group of people. When you ask a group of people you are always going to get a wide verity of answers. Hell, our forums are made up of Computer Science guys, Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, accountants, business people, and Environmental Engineering (like me)... The answers are always going to be different and not taken the same way by everyone...

The thing that pisses me off is that MOST of you that argue back with someone spend countless hours reading and writing responses to pointless arguments on the internet. It sounds like a bunch of old *****y guys with nothing better to do but talk about who hurt who's feelings and why they should make it better... It gets old QUICK... That is one of the main reasons I haven't been around much over the last 3 years... Yes, as a former "post *****" I have had my fair share of posting inappropriate things, comments, and complaints. But jesus people.... If what someone says offends you, PM them about it and keep it out of the public view. That or PM a mod and have them handle it... It really looks like **** to see pages of arguments going on on the forums... It's boring, old and makes me feel like there are Waaaay better things that I could be doing with my life. Like my Environmental Law homework, or Organic Chemistry homework, or going to the bar and drinking and meeting girls and having fun with my life... Maybe some of you should do that. When you start to get offended by something that someone says, go to the bar and grab a drink, throw some darts, play pool... STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!!!

THAT is why I requested that the origional "NA INtercooler" thread be locked... I answered the question in my own little way, which was followed by other responses to the question which IMHO, answered the question... There wasn't any need for the thread to go any further than answering the origional question... But when the posts started "changing direction" (I know you know what I'm talking about...) then I could see that nothing productive was going to come out of it... See, makes sense to lock it now doesn't it?... Lock it so the information can still be read and people can still search for it and "learn" something. But also by locking it we stopped what could have been an argument and a pointless intern3t battle that would just waste bandwidth and everyone's time...

Feel free to respond to my post. But if you want to justify your thinking to me, explain how I hurt your feelings, or tell me I'm wrong then PM it to me... Of corse, you can also PM a mod and have them lock this thread too. Because just like the original, this thread has answered the question that was asked in the first post. Only pointless answers and emotional discussion can come from what is left...

So I would like to appeal to one of the Mods or Admins, Care to lock this thread too, please? Lets just move on and talk about something else...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
As requested, this thread is now closed.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Closed Thread