How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-23-2002, 07:54 PM
Gary

Question Radiator fans

I recently purchased a 94 SVX had the tranny fluid changed as well as the anti freeze. During the latest heat wave I ran the air parked the car shut off the ignition and the fans shut down immediately. My question is do the fans run after the ignition is shut off ? Or should they run until the car cools down ? If they should continue running then I need some advise as to what should be replaced. Any advise would be appreciated.

Gary
Old 05-23-2002, 09:23 PM
EverclearAtMSU

mine have always shut off right when I turn off the car. If it is something your really worried about, you can buy a special relay w/ a heat sensor in it, or one that runs off a timer. Either way it will keep the fans running while it's hot, or for a period after you shut down your car.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
They shut down with the ignition, nothing to be concerned about - it's not a Honda.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:27 PM

rambling

I always thought it was odd that if the car was hot and you turn it off that the fans would turn off also. I still must be used to the fan in my Saab 9000 turbo staying on when the car was turned off.

B.C.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hey Beav,

I want a switch in my car to keep the fans on after I shut off the ignition. Is there a way to do that?
Old 05-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Hey Beav,

I want a switch in my car to keep the fans on after I shut off the ignition. Is there a way to do that?
Sure, like anything else it's only a matter of money. I'm assuming you want to use a timer so the fans don't run until the battery's drained and you find yourself locked out. (I'm a s**t, ain't I?)

Probably the cheapest and easiest way would be to go to Radio Shack and find a countdown timer and relay. Or if you're really good you could rig up a kitchen timer like they do in made-for-tv movies....

Before you start though, you have to answer one question - why? Inquiring (and prying) minds want to know.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:22 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

To cool the engine.

I want to leave the fan on manually between runs down the drag strip with teh engine off. I don't want a timer.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:45 PM

Registered SVX
In order to provide manual operation of the fans as you suggest simply run a lead with a switch in it to the positive side of the feed connection to the fans and connected to a fused accessory supply positive, or if direct to the battery include an inline fuse close to the battery.

I do not have a wiring diagram but would assume there is nothing else connected in parallel with the fans. If there is this item would also become energised ie switched on. I am also assuming that the fans are simply controlled by a thermostat and not via the ECU which they could well be. On second thoughts I think it would be advisable to consult a diagram before rushig into things and someone I am sure will help out in this regard.

A wiring diagram may disclose convenient connection points at the fuse and distribution box meaning that you would not have to hack into your wiring loom. It may even be possible to achieve what you require with a temporary lead with clips but there are not many exposed terminals to assist in this regard.

I started out thinking this would take only a couple of lines but in depth thought has disclosed complications.

Beav posted the address of a great site a few days ago which will give you some worthwhile electrical information.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-26-2002 at 10:06 PM.