Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2002, 10:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Save my elephant!

Save my horse!

Save my Justy!

No? No Ren and Stimpy fans? Argh...

Okay, so the Justy ran perfectly in the cold weather. I was suprised how well it started and ran in even very deep snow.

Now it has problems with the heat. The warmer it is, the worse the car idles. It has even stalled on me a few times.

'Check this out - I bet the car stalls just as I park in that spot.'

pdrpdrpdrpdr...puh-dur-puh-dur-puh-duhhrrrrrrrr...

Oh, and the water temp gauge doesn't work. Okay, well, it works maybe once a month - this morning for about thirty seconds included.

Anybody? Anybody? Beav?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
As many people as I've seen having similar problems with just about every kind of car, I'm beginning to think that the gas is a problem. I need to check my fuel pressure soon, but then again I'm due for a tank of gas so maybe I'll try a different supplier (the hard part will be figuring out who buys their gas from where...)
Old 04-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Now it has problems with the heat. The warmer it is, the worse the car idles. It has even stalled on me a few times.
Could be a vacuum problem. Check all the hoses to make sure they are connected at both ends as well as check them for cracks. My Justy had a couple bad hoses which affected the idle.

Perhaps it may also have something to do with high-idle. My 88 Justy being non fuel injected there was adjustments for high-idle and low-idle. Not sure if that applies to newer models.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:19 PM

Registered SVX
Well, I'm 99% sure it's not a vacuum problem. I know that the vast majority of idle problems are caused by vacuum leaks, which is why I checked that first, but all of the hoses seem to be in good condition. My Justy is fuel-injected, so it has far fewer vacuum hoses than a carbureted one.

The fuel is from the same place I usually buy it from and, again, the car runs as strong as ever under throttle. It's just at idle that it stumbles and stalls.

I won't rule out the fuel, though. We'll see after I fill up again in the next couple of days.

Lou at Ann Arbor Subaru did say that some Justys had a problem with the 'ignition module' under high heat. But I would suspect that if this was the case I would have problems even at speed.

Hrmm...poor Justy...don't worry - I'll make you all better... :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Now that I think about it a bit I think I know someone who had this problem with his Justy. I'll have to ask him what he had done to fix it.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:43 PM

Registered SVX
Well, now that it's colder, the Justy is still stumbling at idle. So there goes the air temperature theory.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-24-2002, 11:25 AM
m3s2ksvx

forgive my ignorance on the topic, but if its stumbling on idle ten its either not getting enough fuel or air....not enough fuel could be a fuel pump or fuel filter issue. A pressure check will answer that one.

not enough air could be a number of things:
dont some cars have an idle screw that is set on the throttle body so that it forces the plate slightly open even when "fully closed" for idling? perhaps that's loose or needs to be adjusted?

also, does this car have an idle control valve? perhaps its stuck and needs to be cleaned?

a vaccum leak as mentioned before. i guess you checked the lines.. but it could be something as goofy as a loose oil cap.

agian, i dont know this car, just speaking from whatever info i gethered over the years. sorry if its not much help

bassem
Old 04-26-2002, 10:14 PM
Hater

try throwing a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner in when the tank is near empty, drive to the gas station, and put in about a 1/4 tank of gas. then repeat when tank is near empty again. people on the Porsche list say this stuff works miracles (and it is the only additive recommended by Porsche.) i usually use it a couple times a year. even if this isn't the problem, it sure can't hurt.
Alan
Old 04-28-2002, 07:34 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Is that safe to run a high concentration of that stuff? The bottle recommends a full gas tank. Is this gonna chew through any gaskets or seals?
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:34 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am guessing that I might have had a bad tank of fuel, or possibly a winter blend in unexpectedly warm weather. Since I last refueled, the Justy has been idling perfectly. But then, the temperatures have been 10-40 degrees colder, too.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE