Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-10-2005, 07:04 PM

Squeaky belt, dash lights, burning smell

I've got a bit of a problem. Last night (coming home) I turned down the radio and heard a loud hissing sound. I pulled over, got out and smelt burning rubber. After pondering the situation, decided to drive off and try and make it back home. I made it, but a belt was intermittently squeaking on and off the entire way back. The problem got worse and worse on my trip home. While I was stopped at a traffic light close to my place, I noticed all the dash lights started flickering on and off rapidly. While pulling into my parking lot upon arriving, the power steering wasn't functioning properly as it was very hard to turn the wheel. A couple of mornings ago, I heard a belt lightly squeaking, but didn't think much of it. But now, I'm thinking the serpentine belt may need tightening up. How would I go about doing this? Also, could it be something else like a bad water pump? The engine was running at normal operating temperature the entire time. I'm going to try and tackle this tomorrow in the daylight. The weather here had been very cold lately, so perhaps that's got somethign to do with it. Any help would be appreciated as I rely heavily on my car. Thanks..

Last edited by DavieGravy; 12-10-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The SVX has 2 accessory belts and one timing belt. You should start by inspecting the 2 accessory belts first and seeing if either shows damage. From your description, it sounds like the alternator/power steering belt may be seizing up. If it is, then you shouldn't drive it anymore as you could cause more expensive damage. If it's the AC compressor belt, then you can just yank it out and fix it when you can. If it's the timing belt, then you've got bigger troubles.

KuoH
Old 12-10-2005, 08:29 PM
<<<Alcyone

I'd have to agree that KuoH is pointing you in the right direction.

Take the alternator/power steering belt off and try turning the alternator and power steering pulleys by hand.

Good luck,

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Check the rubber dampener in the crank pulley. The symptoms match it failing.
With the car running, watch the crank pulley for movement forward/backward as you rev the engine. It shouldn't move - if it does the rubber dampener has separated.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
I'd have to agree that KuoH is pointing you in the right direction.

Take the alternator/power steering belt off and try turning the alternator and power steering pulleys by hand.

Good luck,
Also turn the idler pulley and make sure that it spins freely.

I would also put a new belt rather than replace the old one.

Last edited by Hocrest; 12-11-2005 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the help. I've been serveying the situation and it appears to be the power steering pump. Does anyone know if the pump is specific to the SVX or will Legacies fit?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:00 PM
<<<Alcyone

Depending on the model of SVX, we have either engine speed variable or road speed variable systems. I don't know if the two systems use different pumps or just different computer programming.

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 12-12-2005, 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the help. I ended up having to replace the ps pump, idler pulley, belt and mount. The pully on the ps pump had siezed and damaged these other components. I believe the bad pump was also the cause of the intermitent steering problems I've been having lately (wobbling at low speeds, pulling to one side on the highway, etc).