Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-23-2004, 12:00 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
Weird Braking...

When I pull out of my driveway (foot on the brake, just rolling) and cut the wheel (either left or right) the brake pedal seems to get hung up as it's released. It only does this in reverse and when the wheels are turned. Immedeatly after this happens the pedal goes soft and has a lot of travel. Then it comes back to normal after a few seconds. Weird. Also when in traffic (occasionally) the pedal will suddenly have a lot of travel. Does this mean the brakes need a bleed? My front pads are new and the calipers looked good. Any thoughts? Thanks.

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
When was the last time the brakes were bled? Fluid change? If you're over a year for either I'd change the fluid and bleed the system.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
Quote:
When was the last time the brakes were bled?

Thanks.Seeing as I haven't done it, and only had the car a few months, I'd say it might as well be the original fluid. Whats the life span of brake fluid anyhow? And how do you bleed them? Haha, funny how one question always leads to more.

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 09-23-2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoru465
Thanks.Seeing as I haven't done it, and only had the car a few months, I'd say it might as well be the original fluid. Whats the life span of brake fluid anyhow? And how do you bleed them? Haha, funny how one question always leads to more.
I think the recommended brake fluid change interval is 30,000 miles. (It's in the owner's manual and/or warranty service booklet, if you have 'em.) Bleeding the lines is easiest with two people: One to pump the brake pedal while another opens the bleeder valve at each wheel until the air is purged from the lines. If you've never done this, you probably should recruit a helper who has, or take the car to a mechanic.

dcb
Old 09-23-2004, 12:51 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Whoru465
Many people recommended that the fluid be changed every year, but lifespan may vary based on many different factors. To bleed them and change the fluid you need to first siphon the fluid out of the master cylinder, then pour in new fluid. You then attach a hose with a collection container to the bleeder valve. The hose should be placed into some fluid in the canister, so that air can not be sucked in. One person pumps the brakes 3 times, then holds on the 3rd, another person loosens the valve for a couple of seconds while the pedal is being held, tightens the valve, and then the other person releases the petal. Repeat until you see new fluid and no air bubbles. While doing this, you need to make sure that the fluid stays above the low line, or else you will be sucking air back into the system. The correct order for bleeding the brakes is FR, RL, FL, RR. If you do a search for brake bleeding you may find more detailed instructions.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300