How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Graphic Artist

Somthing wicked this way comes.

Just bought this car... looking for some advise.

The front-right suspension components are issuing a strange - clunky rattly not very well put toghether sound whilst going over abrupt bumps (such as center line reflectors) This condition does not exist at the other corners of the car...

This car also seems to incite a lot of road noise - It almost sounds like riding a skateboard (although a few octaves down) from inside the car at highway speeds; you have to raise your voice almost to speak clearly - is this indicative of rear bearings gone south?

How much does subaru charge to replace these?

Thanks in advance.
Patrick.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:32 AM
BoondockSVX

Swaybar bushings in front. Wheel bearings in back.

- Jim
Old 09-20-2004, 06:35 AM

If the noise is a roar that builds as the car picks-up speed, and it's clearly coming from the rear, then yes, it's probably the wheel bearings. Can't say what a dealership would charge; you can probably get a pretty good idea of what folks have paid by doing a search.

Don't know about that front end, but I'd have it checked promptly.

Good luck,
dcb
Old 09-20-2004, 06:36 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Sounds like your rear wheel bearings are busted. Ive never gotten a bearing changed before on my car but many many many people have gotten them changed here so someone will help ya out with a price .

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Front could also be ball-joints if not the swaybar bushings. The bushings tend to deteriorate from all the oil leaking on 'em.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Check the front upper strut mount. I had a broken one years ago which caused a sound like that.

I thought my wheel bearings were going but after changing my tires, which had begun to scallop(but that's another story), the noise went away.

A Rear latteral bar (sway bar) will also transmit a lot of road noise if the rubber bushing is shot.

It's about 4 hours to change a bearing, plus parts. If the rear bushings are shot it's better to do them at the same time since the job is half done when you take everything apart to do the bearing. It's also just as cheap to buy new bars with the bushings in place as it is to have new bushings pressed into the old bars. But you may want to upgrade to poly from rubber.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Peach

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX_MY_BABY
Check the front upper strut mount. I had a broken one years ago which caused a sound like that.

I thought my wheel bearings were going but after changing my tires, which had begun to scallop(but that's another story), the noise went away.

A Rear latteral bar (sway bar) will also transmit a lot of road noise if the rubber bushing is shot.

It's about 4 hours to change a bearing, plus parts. If the rear bushings are shot it's better to do them at the same time since the job is half done when you take everything apart to do the bearing. It's also just as cheap to buy new bars with the bushings in place as it is to have new bushings pressed into the old bars. But you may want to upgrade to poly from rubber.
I agree with every thing you have said, it's nice to see it from another source.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I agree on the rear bearings but make sure it's not tires. (The sound shouldn't change when the road surface does)

As for the front I also agree with checking:
- strut mount
- ball joints

I will add the swaybar links to this list.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to mudfoot76
I replaced another wheel bearing just a few months ago. Parts and labor was between $300-$400 when all was finished.
2005 Mini Cooper S
Sold: 1994 LS-L Laguna Blue [to sxewhodey]
Old 09-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Front noise could be as simple as a loose top nut on your strut. There is a plastic cap on the strut tower that will pull off, and under that there are 3 nuts and a small plastic dust cap in the center of them. Pull that dust cap out and make sure that all the now exposed nuts are tight.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

First I'd like to agree with peach, and second my new fronts do exhibit much more road noise especially on concrette.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver