How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-28-2004, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Non SVX, but still tech. Legacy 95 starting prob

Posted here anyways... got a friend with a legacy thats got some problems, considering how you always help me out with MY problems...thought Id try again.....

hoooookay. Now, sometimes, when attempting to start, it will crank and thats it. It will do it when its been running all day and ya stop for gas, or when its been sitting in the garage all night. when it happens, you end up having to sit there for 15-20 minutes or so, try again, and it will start.

The car seems to have a few electrical issues as well. Locks randomly go down sometimes, and the abs had to be disconnected because of somtehing in the ecu ( I am told).

Thoughts guys? its late and im tired, so I probobly forgot info....ask for what else ya want to know to help diagnose... or direct me to a legacy forum that isnt about h00k1n uP raw furry dawg sckoops
Old 08-29-2004, 03:54 PM

pffftt

no replys? whats with you guys! your all pathetic! dumb! useless! uh....pathetic!

Just trying to give a little encouragement to get replys...

I bet you guys cant even figure it out can u....(reverse phych dont fail on me now)

just razzin for answers...dont get mad...hahaha omg dont get mad, what the heck would I do if I didnt have this forum to stare at all day? seriously, im going to end up coming out of my shell here eventually and posting constantly...considering how much time I spend just reading stuff.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
No legacy experience but does the check engine light ever come on? If the SVX cranks but doesn't start it usually trips a code...something like crank/cam sensor.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sounds like out Outback sport did when the Crank position sensor was going out...cost about $20 from the dealer...they had problems with those in 95-96...worth replaceing....it and the Cam position sensor (Same part i think, just in a different location...)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-31-2004, 05:06 AM

COOL IT dude,some people have jobs or school,do the car click like its a bad starter or it just won't turn at all I may have a simple fix.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Non SVX, but still tech. Legacy 95 starting prob

Quote:
Originally posted by zavikan
Posted here anyways... got a friend with a legacy thats got some problems, considering how you always help me out with MY problems...thought Id try again.....

hoooookay. Now, sometimes, when attempting to start, it will crank and thats it. It will do it when its been running all day and ya stop for gas, or when its been sitting in the garage all night. when it happens, you end up having to sit there for 15-20 minutes or so, try again, and it will start.

The car seems to have a few electrical issues as well. Locks randomly go down sometimes, and the abs had to be disconnected because of somtehing in the ecu ( I am told).

Thoughts guys? its late and im tired, so I probobly forgot info....ask for what else ya want to know to help diagnose... or direct me to a legacy forum that isnt about h00k1n uP raw furry dawg sckoops
Does your check engine light come on at all? This sounds a lot like the water temp sensor, which is a very common failure. I think I paid about $25 for the sensor and it takes all of ten minutes to replace.

As Huck said, it could also be the crank angle sensor, which is another common failure.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-01-2004, 02:47 PM

ok ok ok

nothing abnormal except for the fact that the engine turns over but does not start. the Crank sensor have been replaced already. I haven't tried the water temp sensor....I shall though, any other ideas though while we are at it?
Old 09-01-2004, 03:35 PM

Reminds me of all those K cars that take like 10 mins to start because of the fuel pump. I never really have head of these going out on a sube but it seems like it would be possible.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: ok ok ok

Quote:
Originally posted by zavikan
nothing abnormal except for the fact that the engine turns over but does not start. the Crank sensor have been replaced already. I haven't tried the water temp sensor....I shall though, any other ideas though while we are at it?
Nope. But mention 'hard starting' to a Subaru dealer mechanic and the first thing out of their mouth will be 'water temp sensor.' It's that common.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE