How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2004, 06:36 AM
godspeed94

noise from wheels when turning

Please help me with a problem. Just bought a 94 svx. It has two different set of tires for front and back. They are on the correct direction and sides. When I turn it sound like the tires rubbing or grinding on pavement. Shoud I replace the tires with a matching pair or could it be the bearings front and rear. I don't have any repair history on this car!
Old 05-06-2004, 06:49 AM

I think you can rule out bearings. Bad bearings make a roaring sound that gets louder with speed, whether or not the car is turning.

Some of the more knowledgeable folks here will want to know: Is your car FWD or AWD?

dcb
Old 05-06-2004, 09:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Regardless of what other symptoms your car has, the very first step should be replacing the tires with a matching set. After you do that, rotate the tires front to back often.

That's assuming your car is AWD. If it's FWD, matching tires isn't as important.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-06-2004, 09:55 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

i also have a noise when i turn my steeringwheel......the noise sounds like a bad stomach growl and its kinda loud...only can be heard from the inside of the car.......it was like that when i bought it....mind you i have 4 brand new tires on the car too...i think it might be a belt problem....when im at a full stop and have my foot on the brake if i turn the wheel the steering wheel shakes and it sounds like the tires are rubbing on something
Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
soobiesvx93, your's sounds like a bad axle joint.

godspeed94, your's sounds like tires, and maybe center diff/trnasfer clutches,(due to the mismatched tires)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-06-2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
i also have a noise when i turn my steeringwheel......the noise sounds like a bad stomach growl and its kinda loud...only can be heard from the inside of the car.......it was like that when i bought it....mind you i have 4 brand new tires on the car too...i think it might be a belt problem....when im at a full stop and have my foot on the brake if i turn the wheel the steering wheel shakes and it sounds like the tires are rubbing on something
Strikes me as a power steering problem (only I can't imagine why you'd only hear it inside the car). Checked the PS pump fluid level? Belt tension?

dcb
Old 05-06-2004, 03:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Strikes me as a power steering problem (only I can't imagine why you'd only hear it inside the car). Checked the PS pump fluid level? Belt tension?

dcb
and the o'ring

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-06-2004, 06:55 PM
godspeed94

It feels like the car is being bumped when I quickly accelerate and when turning. I'll be taking it into a subaru dealer for repair.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:23 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

i am having the exact same problem that you are having....when i turn the wheel all the way to one side and then turn it feels like the car is being bumped and feels like the car is losing power...when you take your car to the dealership please tell me what they say because i am curious to know what the problem is.
Quote:
Originally posted by godspeed94
It feels like the car is being bumped when I quickly accelerate and when turning. I'll be taking it into a subaru dealer for repair.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:14 AM
TonyShaleUK

These last 2 description sound like the problem I have just had. On lock, at parking speeds up to about 15mph, a thumping felt thro' the car. When looked at from the outside, the road wheel appeared to 'jump'. New transmission (Duty c?) solenoid sorted that out. Don't know if it is the same with yours
Old 05-08-2004, 06:37 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
I think you can rule out bearings. Bad bearings make a roaring sound that gets louder with speed, whether or not the car is turning.

dcb
Not always with the front bearings and hub assembly. The starting issues with bad bearings in the front usually involves growning/growling when turning esp when cold. A good place to check this is a parallel parking situation or some tight turns at slow speeds. Front bearings though on most cars are usually good til the hub wears out so what you may be hearing is a bad hub up there. Its loose and when you turn the bearing actually must move with it seperately causing the growl.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:22 PM
godspeed94

they took a look at the tranny and changed the fluid. It was a little over filled. They told me the tranny was bad, but funny thing is that the problem is no longer there. wrong fluid in tranny?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:24 PM

I had a shaking steering wheel when i was stopped, and a little growl in turns at speed, it turned out to be the belt (alt, p-s, $15 from napa), and overfilled p-s fluid. Changed the blet and fluid, problem is gone.
Just a thought.
-Ryan

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!