How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-12-2003, 03:11 PM
dEaD

Lightbulb hmm 5sp Vs auto

I am thinking about converting to a 5 speed since my trans needs a rebuild but I though wuts the grear ratio on 5 speed Vs auto
auto is the SVX trans I chose 2000 impreza sedan 2.5 RS for the 5 speed trans

Gear auto 5 speed
1st 2.79 3.54
2nd 1.55 2.11
3rd 1.00 1.44
4th 0.64 1.08
5th none 0.78

it seems to me that the 5 speed will beat the auto trans on low speed and faster acceleration because it has higher gear ratio
but the auto trans will beat the 5 speed on higher speed and lower RPM
any 1 nows ho much of a deffrance u feel for the auto trans
Rpm @ 60 mph in 4th: 2050
aut is the rpm for a 5 speed
also I am a rough driver will the 5speed hold or is it gona die on me in few months
Old 06-12-2003, 04:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
No offsense, and sorry to hijack the thread, but if you're hard on the car maybe you picked the wrong one. The SVX does not take kindly to being beat. You're going to incur frequent and costly repairs. This is true with any car, but the consequences with the SVX are just that much more severe.

Anyway, from what I've heard you'll lose some of that nice freeway efficiency that you mentioned. There's always a trade-off. The solution there is to find a suitable 6-speed for a really tall high gear.

As for reliability, there's some question concerning the 5-speeds. Those transmissions were built for lighter cars with much less power. While they're certainly sufficient for everyday driving, they probably won't stand up to daily thrashing. Somebody who actually has a 5-speed in their car might be better able to answer that.

Welcome to the Network.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
No offsense, and sorry to hijack the thread, but if you're hard on the car maybe you picked the wrong one. The SVX does not take kindly to being beat. You're going to incur frequent and costly repairs. This is true with any car, but the consequences with the SVX are just that much more severe.
I second that. Please PLEASE dont beat on your SVX. You'll end up breaking something costly, then dumping the car. It happens all too often. If you're going to be hard on the car, make sure you have some serious money set aside, or you'll be in big big trouble.

Mike
Old 06-12-2003, 08:15 PM
dEaD

well thanx for your thoghts about that The SVX does not take kindly to being beat I have this car for almost 5 years I bought it with 67k on it and now its 139k
I only changed the rear bearings about 2 years ago but wut I ment by hard drive is that I like to acclerate fast and I drive fast last year I had it on 155 for 20 mins almost and I usually drive around 90-100 lol

the original trans just got bad about 10 days ago if u read my previouse post I was thinking about converting to a 5 spd but not any more
I am gona rebuilt the trans on my own in the next few weeks I already got everything out of the way the catys the drive shaft but it freakin started to rain again and that pissed me off like hell
I love this car and thats why I never took it to any mechanics I always do all the repairs on my own lol
BTW I found that Z-max stuff really good for this car
Old 06-13-2003, 07:12 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

You want to know if the Tranny's will hold up??? Well there about 10 SVX's that proove that on this site... However if you do do that conversion and ever want to try some rediculas 4 wheel spinning launch you'll be replacing the tranny again... The WRX tranny in the 2003 is the one that I have... They have a 3.90 final drive so they are a bit better on the highway for the SVX... I can tell ya that the trannys are good ad long as you are good to them... When shifting fast don't just wack in the clutch and slam it into 2nd then dump the clutch... That is the fastest way to replace it... If ya use proper shifting techniques for AWD cars then you can make it last alot longer than an auto tranny and be a hell of alot more fun!!! I've heard that with proper shifting and some modifications to intake and Exhaust it can take as much as 1.5 sec off of the 0-60 time!!!! That is awesome.. and the 2.5RS Tranny came with a 4.11 final... so even better acceleratin!!! But crappier cruising speed..... Trade offs

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...