SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
Ditto about your iPhone sentiments. HOWEVER, I do think they are on to something. I do think it is revolutionary, and does push the envelope of what people 'expect' a phone to be like. Is it perfect? Can it do everything? No. It's also very expensive at the moment. Hence why I'm not getting one.

However, almost EVERY ARGUMENT I've seen against was pretty much said years ago, when Apple released the iPod. The naysayers would claim their players were better because it could do feature X,Y, and Z, but what they don't GET is that apple does stuff WELL, or doesn't do it at all.

In a few years, I'm pretty sure millions of people will have some derivative of apple's iphone, just like MANY "iPod naysayers" of only a few years ago now own an iPod nano or iPod video.
When Apple releases a product that I think is worth it, I'll buy it. Unfortunately, I have not seen such a product yet.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Hater

Quote:
However, almost EVERY ARGUMENT I've seen against was pretty much said years ago, when Apple released the iPod. The naysayers would claim their players were better because it could do feature X,Y, and Z, but what they don't GET is that apple does stuff WELL, or doesn't do it at all.
the only nice things about the iPod are 1.) available accessories 2.) interface (although i'm sure there are others that are easy to use as well now).

if a Creative Labs/Sandisk/Zune worked as well in a car with accessory support, i would buy one of those instead, because the batteries are replaceable, and they have more features and better displays.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned

Almost any MP3 player will work with an auxilary input just fine. I don't get why you have one.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Hater

Quote:
Almost any MP3 player will work with an auxilary input just fine. I don't get why you have one.

with the Drive+Play, i can keep the iPod stashed in my center console, have the display on the dash, and the remote joystick right at my fingertips next to the shifter.

the Alpine "full iPod screen" head unit is another nice option.

give me similar accessories to control/display-info from another brand MP3 player, and i'd buy it over the iPod. until then ....

Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
with the Drive+Play, i can keep the iPod stashed in my center console, have the display on the dash, and the remote joystick right at my fingertips next to the shifter.

the Alpine "full iPod screen" head unit is another nice option.

give me similar accessories to control/display-info from another brand MP3 player, and i'd buy it over the iPod. until then ....
You are failing to see why you have such options.

iPod played mp3s and aacs, and did so WELL. It didn't have the features of other players, and at times, it didn't have the capacity either. What made it a success was HOW it did it. Easily. Simply. And intuitively. Because of these qualities, it made it a huge success, which is why other companies strive to produce things like it... but they don't understand the ideas, concepts, and thought behind it.

Same goes for most of apple's products. Sony would have a shot at competing with Apple if they weren't hindered with MS's operating systems, and Sony's own paranoid record labels with all their copy protection mumbo jumbo.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Dead wrong.

Windows Mobile phones can be unlocked to run any version software. Law requires that after you have been a customer for 90 days, the provider must give you the unlock code once requested. Once you unlock your phone, you can install any software you want.

There are three main parts to a WM Phone. The Bootloader ROM, the Phone ROM, and the GUI OS. You can run a Verizon ROM on a Cingular phone once unlocked. Generally the Japanese/Australian ROMS are the most feature-packed and usually the most stable.

The iPhone cant even be unlocked to use the faster 3G data network, You are stuck with the slower GPRS network until Apple decides to SELL you an upgraded phone

So Doug, how to upgrade to Windows Mobile 6 on a 6700?

PS: have my 6700 more than a year WM 5

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Hater

Quote:
You are failing to see why you have such options.

no, it became popular first (Sony dropped the ball with the Walkman MP3 player), and now companies make a bunch of accessories for it.

Apple does things so "easy and intuitively" that they make it so you don't even have to adjust an EQ - it has a bunch of crappy presets and isn't tweakable. way to go, retards! another intuitive feature is the craptastic finish that scratches if you breathe on it. truly innovative!

Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Phil & Belha

http://www.willitblend.com/videos.as...e&video=iphone
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 07-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Ditto about your iPhone sentiments. HOWEVER, I do think they are on to something. I do think it is revolutionary, and does push the envelope of what people 'expect' a phone to be like. Is it perfect? Can it do everything? No. It's also very expensive at the moment. Hence why I'm not getting one. (I snipped the rest... this was the bit that was relevant to my reply)
Nah mate... it's EVOLUTIONARY; it was inevitable. The iPod was also evolutionary, not revolutionary. They took a device that already had a pre-existing (though in the case of the iPod, small) market and found ways to make it simpler. In a sense, that's what they did with the iPhone, too. However, it's not a revolutionary device. Just about every device out there today except the lowest end stuff does precisely what the iPhone does, the iPhone just does it using a slick interface. That's the ONLY thing Apple brings to the table, here.

Mac OS X was revolutionary for Mac users and Windows users alike. It took a commercial-grade operating system (UNIX / BSD) and made it useful for the average joe. Early versions sucked, but it's become a truly world-class platform. It was also way ahead of its time, and Microsoft is still years behind with Vista. The Newton was revolutionary; it was the first real PDA... hell, even the term PDA was coined by Apple. The Apple II was revolutionary.

HOWEVER, just because Apple has a track record of producing revolutionary products, it does not follow that every product they produce is revolutionary, or even successful (RE: Newton).

I don't see the iPhone as revolutionary at all. It adds some interface tweaks to existing functionality, that's all. It doesn't change anything from my perspective because the functionality is already there in other products, and this is a well established market. Yes, Apple will sell a ton of them... but in global terms it's going to be a tiny piece of the overall market for phones. It's too expensive for the low-end market, and it's too limited for the smartphone market. It squeezes in between the two because it has some smartphone functionality, but is much more limited than other devices. It is more capable than most phones, but is also more expensive (though not drastically so; the average unlocked, unsubsidized phone costs around $300 at the low end).

What would it take for me to buy an iPhone? Try this list;

1. Open up the API's and open the platform to developers
2. Lower the price
3. Give me more flexibility; allow me to put in a SIM from another provider
4. Make me feel like I own the device, not Apple
5. Allow greater customization of my experience; I want to do it my way, not Steve Jobs way

These may seem like whines, but they're all important to me. Especially number 3. I am going to England in October for two weeks... while I'm there I intend to pick up a "pay as you go" SIM card from a provider (probably Virgin Mobile... had good experience with them last time). This is far cheaper, and far more reliable than AT&T Roaming. I don't want to use "foreign" SIMs because I hate AT&T; I am with them now and am reasonably happy with them. However, I do want some flexibility. Recent reports say that without a special SIM that's coded to the device you can't use it... that tells me you're completely locked to AT&T with this first gen device.

Number 2... well... that's a whine

I'm not convinced it's everything that some people think it is. It's a nice device, and a compelling "halo" device. But it's a fashion thing... and people will probably lose interest as more capable, cheaper and more open platforms appear. Yes, it adds more competition to the market but brings nothing other than "yet another cellphone" to the table.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_svx
Nah mate... it's EVOLUTIONARY; it was inevitable. .....Yes, it adds more competition to the market but brings nothing other than "yet another cellphone" to the table.
^^^ +eleventybillion agreed.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:31 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I just picked up a LG VX9900 (enV) for $99 w/ a 2yr agreement from Verizon. It does everything the iPhone can except..uhh...have a touch screen (afaik). It can also do things the iPhone can't (read: surf the internet fast). It also isn't plagued by AT&T's horrible service.

It can go everywhere I can and I don't have to be worried about dropping it and it shattering into a billion pieces. I also could replace it without having to sell a kidney....

iPhone: Too expensive, too buggy (every apple 1gen is), too stuck to AT&T.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
I just picked up a LG VX9900 (enV) for $99 w/ a 2yr agreement from Verizon. It does everything the iPhone can except..uhh...have a touch screen (afaik).
...but the LG phone has a revolutionary "tactile input interface". with this technology, you can actually feel the keys as you press them, and don't even have to look at the thing while you're typing.

touchscreens suck sometimes. phones with touchscreens suck, and remote controls with touchscreens suck.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
and remote controls with touchscreens suck.
That I agree with 269%.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Yeah, that thing about the touch screen sits wrong with me, too. My phone has a touch screen (HTC TyTN) and a real QWERTY keyboard. If I'm typing a quick URL into Opera or something, then yeah I'll use the touch-screen keypad. However, if I'm doing any REAL typing (SMS or Email) then it's the keypad every time. I much prefer tactile, and I don't like my hand blocking part of the display every time I hit a letter. I'd rather have the display up top, my hands holding the device and my thumbs dancing across the keypad.

I can be quite productive with it. I even take notes in meetings on the thing.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Network Design Administrator

More haha...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...iphone-battery
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.