How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2003, 11:07 AM
erock404513

Headlight Resurfacing....

So whats this deal with headlight resurfacing? I have seen a couple of pictures after the process is completed, but what is the process? They look awfully pretty....
Old 03-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Go to Seraph's (Lwin's) website: http://www.stars-gazer.com/~lwin/

at bottom of page, click on "car" link. Then click on the "see more of my SVX" link, then the "DIY SVX" link, then finally the "Clean dirty headlights" link.

You used to be able to get to it through the SVX World Network page by entering the site and clicking on the How-to and FAQ link, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Lwin, can you fix this?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-21-2003, 02:11 PM
JLittell

I have a way of doing this without taking the darn things apart. I I have and extra pair of lights that I did the process to. I will be selling in the near future to someone who is willing to send me their old pair of lights.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Xcess, I'm gald you found that. I looked for it eariler but to no avail. It's a classic.

"J" can UV protectant be painted over the cleaned lense? I am thinking maybe a polyurethane with UV block?
Old 03-21-2003, 08:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
"J" can UV protectant be painted over the cleaned lense? I am thinking maybe a polyurethane with UV block?
I'm sure it can be done. I just don't know how well it will stand up to rocks and anything else flying from other vehicles.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:07 PM
JLittell

I would not recommend painting over the lenses with a UV protectant. I would think that the protectant might harm the plastic over time or soften as the lamps are around heat. Earthworm brought up a good point about the covering taking a beating from rocks. If you get your lenses the way you want them I would suggest babying and buffing them occasionally with a plastic compound and or cleaner.

I can get all the pits out by wet sanding the lenses until they are smooth. I also go through different grades of fine sand paper and spend a quite a bit of time buffing them out. It's a lot of elbow grease but its well worth it.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You could also see if you can find the plastic headlight protectors as well. They also protect the corners as well. I know Ralph Gibbs here has them. He hasn't posted since last year though.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Grits

What grits do you use to do the wet sanding? Hell, guess it will be a lot of elbow grease to sand 4 pairs.

Lee

SVXx4
Old 03-22-2003, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Are you talking about the lense protectors subaruparts.com sells? I put them on my lights after having them buffed out and they now look brand new. The lense protectors should hold up better against rock chips, but if they get dull, you'll have to get new lights as the protectors aren't removeable.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
You could also see if you can find the plastic headlight protectors as well. They also protect the corners as well. I know Ralph Gibbs here has them. He hasn't posted since last year though.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Meow!

The ones Ralph has are removable.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:09 PM

Then it must not be the same kind of impact protector subaruparts.com sells. It has a very strong adheasive and once cured, is extremely difficult to remove, if removal is even possible. However, my lights should stay clear much longer, since the lense is no longer exposed to the air and elements. If I can get another 3 or 4 years of maintenance free use out of the headlights, then it was worth the $30 for the protectors.

KuoH
Old 03-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Meow!

No that's different. That stuff is the same as what's on the lower panel right in front of the rear tire.

The one I'm talking about is like the "black-out" headlight covers without the tint.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:38 PM

It's not quite the same as the rear stone guard. The impact protector is quite a bit harder on the surface. As long as heat and UV doesn't cause the lense to go yellow under the adheasive, it should stay clear for quite awhile.

The black out stuff I've seen usually attaches with some velcro, but still leaves an air gap doesn't it? I'm not as concerned with actual impact as I am with the yellowing and hazing caused by UV and the heat.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
No that's different. That stuff is the same as what's on the lower panel right in front of the rear tire.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Meow!

I wish Ralph would read this. He could share his comments first hand.