How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Backyard mechanic

I have some engine work to do on a few cars and I don’t have a garage. I have a gravel driveway and a backyard that is all lawn. I was thinking about putting a metal plate down in the yard and was wondering if anyone else has tried this before? I do not how thick the plate has to be so that the wheels on a floor jack or engine hoist will roll.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

backyard mechanic

If its as cold there as it is here just put it on that frozen lawn you should do fine. I've used a piece of plywood before with success but if you're gonna have it up on stands for a while you may want to put a piece of steel down ontop of the plywood. If its just engine work and you can use ramps get some of those plastic Rhino ramps. They work great and are structured in a way that you won't scratch the bottom of the car (just be careful coming down so you don't bounce the front struts) you'll have a good inch of clearance.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:33 AM

What about a few pieces of 3/4 or 1" plywood if the lawn is relatively flat. Lot's lighter and probably cheaper? Also, that metal plate will be REALLY slippery - wheather it's wet, dry, or oily!Another option would be marine grade plywood- I think it's more rigid and you wouldn't have to worry about the elements but probably much more expensive.

Or 4 thinner sheets- 2 turned 1 way and the next layer turned 90 degrees for an 8' x 8' work space...
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 03-03-2003, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I think I am leaning toward plywood and a piece of steel that I can move around to put under the stand or jack. You know the old truth "Don't throw anything away."? Well I cut up a rather thick and hard piece of aluminum I had laying around for years and put in the trash two months ago. It was a 4x4 foot sheet and I could not bend it for anything.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:06 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Backyard mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Thanks for the ideas. I think I am leaning toward plywood and a piece of steel that I can move around to put under the stand or jack. You know the old truth "Don't throw anything away."? Well I cut up a rather thick and hard piece of aluminum I had laying around for years and put in the trash two months ago. It was a 4x4 foot sheet and I could not bend it for anything.
Heck I hope you recycled it! Sounds like you could've used it to fill up your tank! I would think a good 2x2 piece of steel would work fine. Just small enough that it mobile but also big enough you don't have to keep moving it. I'm quite thankful I'm no longer doing mantainence on gravel though!
Old 03-04-2003, 06:21 AM

A garage would be really nice but I like to work outside too.