Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
My New Sound System: Part 2 Speakers

Ok so since I'd like my wiring to be in place so I know what I'm working with and how to finish the box and where the wires will come through I've decided to start wiring.. but in the process I need to change up these speakers with the new ones I've got.

I'm about to bust out my SVX wiring diagrams and such to see what kind of corners I can cut by just soldering new speaker wire together with the stock and save my self the trouble of running so much wire.

Only thing I found weird was that after coming through the door the speaker wires split into two different wires from the original two after passing through a plug that's located just behind the fuse box in the drivers foot space. Checking this out now in the diagrams and will update later.

As for now I've decided where I am going to mount both amps and for the most part how the wiring is going to run. more later.

-Johny
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 AM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: My New Sound System: Part 2 Speakers

Running all new wires is much easier, cleaner, and more reliable (fewer connections) than trying to splice into the factory wiring. Plus, you retain the option of easily going back to a stock configuration later if you decide to ditch the amps and run off of deck power again (if you sell the car and want to pull the amps out, for instance). The only moderately hard part is running the wires into the doors, and even that isn't bad.

If you're going to do it, do it right the first time rather than cutting corners by jerry-rigging it with spliced factory wiring all over the place and butchering the harness. This will just cause headaches down the road.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

so are you saying to just leave the factory wiring in place and add additional wires instead??? do I need to disconnect the wires in the wiring harness to the deck that are for the speakers??? do I leave just the front ones for the mini speakers/tweeters that are up on the dash???
Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

I don't know what you're smoking... getting the wires through that tunnel thing isn't easy at all I can get it to the top part where it hits almost a 90 and shoots into the door and I can't turn it or spin it or even try and squeese the tube thing to bend the hanger and get that beast through.... this is freakin impossible! I've been trying for like half an hr....
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 AM

When I did it, I left all factory wiring there, and just ran all new wiring to my speakers. Reusing the factory wiring for me would have been a huge hassle anyways, because I did components all around, with separate crossovers and the factory wires did not provide for this.

I can't remember exactly what method I used to get the wires through the door conduit right now, as I have recently done this on the SVX and also on my 8 series, and I'm getting the different setups a bit jumbled up in my head. I know that on both cars, I disconnected the rubber thing from the doors in order to get the wire through it with a coat hanger. I believe with the SVX, I disconnected both sides of the conduit, so that I could scrunch it up as much as possible and pass the wire through. It takes a bit of patience, but it is a far better option than splicing with factory wiring, and you'll be glad you did it later.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I don't know what you're smoking... getting the wires through that tunnel thing isn't easy at all I can get it to the top part where it hits almost a 90 and shoots into the door and I can't turn it or spin it or even try and squeese the tube thing to bend the hanger and get that beast through.... this is freakin impossible! I've been trying for like half an hr....
So... let me get this straight.

You tried for a whole HALF HOUR, failed, and called it impossible.

I don't see how you will last long in the Armed Forces with that level of drive.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

no i tried half an hr, posted then tried another 2 hrs and gave up and worked on something else. I tried scrunching it, I tried twisting the hanger I tried pushing some of it up there then attaching it to the coat hanger and trying, I really was getting frustrated with it because it kept slipping from the coat hanger and I could get the hanger a little bit further but couldn't get the wire any further. Anyone have any tips???

I got most the wiring for the speakers run, I got everything connected to the deck that needed to be connected, and I got the speaker wire from the amp to the door for my front left, started working on the power and ground, I need a few more wires, the ones in my double amp wiring kit weren't long enough for me to run all that I needed so I've gotta pick up a few more today.

ummm lets see... oh neither amp is mounted yet because I need to run the wires first. one speaker has the bracket on it so it will bolt into place but is not wired up yet.

I was up till like 7am, started at about 10pm

Last edited by Johnybeas; 08-04-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: computer decided to post before I was done typing
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

When I did it, I securely taped the wire to the coat hanger and fed it through. I put the wire end about 1" back from the tip of the hanger, and wound electrical tape around it starting at the tip of the hanger and neatly wrapping it back so that it formed a tapered point when it wound around the wire.

I concentrated on making the whole thing as thin as possible, and wound the tape around the first 3 - 4 inches of hanger. It might slip off if you don't use enough. You have to tape it up neatly, or else it will be harder to feed through and bumpy / bunched up areas of tape can get caught on things. Detach both sides of the wire conduit so that you can get in there better and have more space to maneuver the wire through (you may have to rotate / wiggle it some to push it through).

Be sure to use an older "stiff" coat hanger. Some of the newer wire coat hangers you buy are a cheap thin gauge flimsy wire with a plastic / rubber coating that is kind of mushy and doesn't work very well for this.

Can't think of anything else that might help right now. Good luck...
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Lube it up
Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
Lube it up
Actually excellent advice! Anyone who has fished wire through conduit or floor duct knows some wire pulling lubricant is critical, to ease the way, as well as prevent burn damage to any existing wiring as the new is pulled through. Just a dab'l do ya!!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Great advice and insight guys I'm gonna take another hack at it either tonight or tomorrow. It was so frustrating because one side came out of the body just fine but the other seemed to have an extra inner sleeve and some electrical tape too I. Was scratchin up my hands reachin in there tryin to loosen it
Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Heres what I just did in mine. It takes about 5 min a side.

Pull the conduit from out of both the car frame and the door, then gently but firmly pull on the wires coming from the car and there will be 2 connectors(both on pass and dr side, just the dr side has 2 larger ones, while the pass side has 1 large and a small 2 wire connector). Disconnect the connectors and pully the conduit down so that only those connectors are visible and a small amount of wire. This gives plenty of slack in the wires to bunch up the conduit, slide a hanger through the conduit, stick the hanger in between the individual wires about an inch from where the speaker wire has been split(or the end if its new wire), fold the hanger over itself and pull it back through. then run the wires, push the conduit back up to its originaly position relative to the wires running through it, reconnect the plastic connections and then finally push the conduit back into place in the frame and door. This may sound confusing but hopefully you get the gist of it.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

I'm gonna read it when I'm more awake, but I think I get it...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I'm gonna read it when I'm more awake, but I think I get it...
Once you get in there it should make more sense. I probably could've and maybe should've taken pics for people's reference in the future
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Ya I was doing really well takin pictures before and will continue but just didn't take any the other night, but don't worry it's still torn up I'll take pictures if i can figure that garbage out lol. tryin to finish my calc class so haven't had a chance to do any work but plan to soon.