Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-04-2002, 10:28 AM

wheel wisdom needed

I have a ’94 Lsi, bought at a Seattle dealer March 2001. The car was purchased wholesale in Pittsburgh and brought to Seattle by the dealer. It is in wonderful condition but does not have the original wheels. A set of “Modern” type 157 16 x 7 aftermarket wheels have been installed. No idea why or who did it. The tires looked new when I bought, so I have always suspected the wheels were changed between the time it left it’s original owner in PA and sold to me in WA. The only information I have been able to find on these “Modern” wheels is on the Les Schwab website (http://www.lesschwab.com/w3lsnet/bus...WheelsMain.asp) which is just a picture. I cannot find the website of this manufacturer.

On his website, Jamsvx has this: “Due to the unusual offset of the SVX, there are not many aftermarket wheels available that will easily fit the SVX. Although some wheels, using an incorrect offset will fit, beware that this can lead to added strain on the bearings - which, in addition to the transmission, is a common SVX problem.” I have read this elsewhere, his is just the only reference I could remember right now.

Here’s my questions:

- What are the complete specs of the SVX wheel, particularly the offset?
- How do I find out if the wheels on my car are truly compatible?
- If they are not, how does one determine which wheels are and are not compatible?
- What experience do any of you have with wheel change-outs?
- Does anyone have any experience getting the original SVX wheels chromed? (my most favored alternative to what I have now)

Thx in advance for any experience, data or advice.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:38 AM

Smile A little help......

Quote:
- What are the complete specs of the SVX wheel, particularly the offset?
Bolt pattern: 5x114.3mm (4.5")
Centerbore: 56mm
Offset: 55mm+

B.C.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:44 AM
squiggy

Post info rqsted

ok now--
Bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3 mm (4.5")
Centerbore is 56mm
Offset is 55mm

Now there are different opinions on using different offset settings.
SVX's are notorious for bearing problems--
--One train of thought is to only use stock offset since that is what the car was designed for
--Another train of thought is if you use a different offset the bearings would either not go bad or bad as quickly
--Another is that if the bearings going to go bad anyway use whatever offset out there that is on the wheels you like...
for my $.02 (two cents) I stuck with the stock rims just because I'm too cheap to go through the trouble...
Old 07-04-2002, 10:48 AM
Boone

A little picture

Here's a picture I found somewhere...
Attached Images
File Type: gif wheelspec.gif (15.7 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-04-2002, 10:49 AM
squiggy

Post more info

some people when upgrading to 17"--18" tires have used offsets as low as 38 without problems--so to each their own--
BTW the rims you do have who makes them??
I went to your link and it just led me to the home page of the site..
good luck with everything--Squiggy
Old 07-04-2002, 05:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
I have been told, although yet to confirm, that the Australia AU Series Falcon (www.ford.com.au) uses the same offset - if this is the case, then there should be a number of wheels down under that should be able to fit - I will look into this further.

James

PS: thanks for looking at my site!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 07-04-2002, 06:47 PM

Registered SVX
Wheel Offset

There is a lot more to the wheel offset problem than has been talked about and it would appear that the small variations mentioned in various posts should not create any significant problems from a practical point of view.

A wider than original wheel should have reduced offset as it is the centre of the tyre which determines the point of load as well as effects in relation to steering geometry which receives little mention. Further more cantilever effect must be taken into account and therefore added offset does not add as much load to the outer bearing as it may first appear. A detailed drawing of the complete load points would be required to make an exact assessment.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-05-2002, 05:33 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Cneter Bore

I have noticed that the stock SVX wheels fit tight, or with just a very small clearance to the wheel hub. This keeps the wheel ceneterd on the hub. The lug bolts also help to center the tire.

Do the replacement wheels use new lugs or the old ones? What is the tolerance on the center bore?
Old 07-05-2002, 11:06 AM

Re: Cneter Bore / more info

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Do the replacement wheels use new lugs or the old ones? Who makes them? What is the tolerance on the center bore?
No answer for any of these, since I did not select them, have not yet located the manufacturer and and have not had cause to demount them. Thx for all the replies, tho.