Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Looking for Opinions on Audio Options.

I am in the process of choosing a replacement for my stock headunit in my Pearl. Although I am very happy with the OEM look of my WRX 6CD in my Claret, I have aftermarket Clarion and Alpine speakers in this particular car, and am looking for a unit with a bit more power.

That being said, I am on a budget, as someone is making the purchase of it for my 22nd birthday, which is this upcoming weekend. I am looking for something stylish, modern, and simple. I am not a fan of chrome buttons or dials, as I want to attempt to have the unit blend somewhat with the interior.

The unit must have MP3 capability and have either green or black/white illumination.

So far, I have done some shopping on Crutchfield to get an idea of what is available, as I am not an aftermarket stereo guru. (This system will not be amplified and I will not be adding anything additional; subs, etc)

The Kenwood KDC-MP538U @ $159
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/KDC-MP538U

So far I have not found anything else really appealing in the range under $225, but I am still looking. Again, I want something simple and clean looking that does not clash too much with the SVX interior.

Opinions and input are welcome and appreciated.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Now down to only ONE!

Re: Looking for Opinions on Audio Options.

Hi Mike-
Dibs if I can afford the 6disk with cage if it is for sale. I can send you my cage and /or stock radio-CD if that helps. Please PM me with price and availability.
Thank you, Christian
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Did you look at the mp3 player that has over 700 colors? It has no knobs, it's sleak, and you could match the OEM colors inside the car. Can't remember what model or price though but it's on crutchfield.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

check out pioneer they make some nice units in your price range
Old 06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

+1 pioneer

also JVC (even though I never liked them have some nice units... these days)
Old 06-18-2008, 05:16 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I had considered Pioneer, but all of their units come with this large chrome dial and I find that largely unattractive.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:21 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Has anyone here had experience with Blaupunkt?

Im looking into the "Key West" model.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=17247
Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 AM
Banned

Registered SVX

i wouldn't call that chrome
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Keep your own radio cage & door

Crutchfield's measurements (to determine what they think will fit the SVX) are sometimes a little too strict. See my SVX Audio Install guide for dimensions of the radio cage and more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbsvx View Post
Hi Mike-
Dibs if I can afford the 6disk with cage if it is for sale. I can send you my cage and /or stock radio-CD if that helps.
Christian, if your own cage is good, why are you offering to trade it?

Mike's 6-disc WRX radio is in a different SVX, and I don't think he's getting rid of that radio.

You should keep your own cage. There are a few different styles of cover doors that match the particular SVX's interior. You just remove your old radio and install a new one (either Subaru or aftermarket) in your own cage.

If your cage is bad, look for a spare one (or repair parts) — either new or from a parts car that matches yours.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Keep your own radio cage & door

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Crutchfield's measurements (to determine what they think will fit the SVX) are sometimes a little too strict. See my SVX Audio Install guide for dimensions of the radio cage and more info.

Christian, if your own cage is good, why are you offering to trade it?

Mike's 6-disc WRX radio is in a different SVX, and I don't think he's getting rid of that radio.

You should keep your own cage. There are a few different styles of cover doors that match the particular SVX's interior. You just remove your old radio and install a new one (either Subaru or aftermarket) in your own cage.

If your cage is bad, look for a spare one (or repair parts) — either new or from a parts car that matches yours.
David,

Thank you for clarifying. I think what Christian was refering to has to do with the trimming that is required on teh rear of the radio cage when installing the WRX 6 CD in order to ensure full closure of the radio door.

Christian,

I do have a source for more of these particular type of head unit. However, you may be able to find one on ebay or NASIOC for a low price as well.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Now down to only ONE!

Yes, Mike, I was refering to grinding the cage. It sounds like I could trim my own cage if you can tell me what to remove so the door closes; but first I will read David's Radio How To completely.

Thank you for the help, David. I will now read your extensive information for my bedtime unwind.

I also need to replace my front lower speakers so I guess it's research time for the sound system.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roo Send a message via Yahoo to Roo

My option:

It fits with the door closing normally.

Alpine iDA-X200 iPod deck (no CD player)

iPod Touch attached and controlled by the head unit.

iPod Touch hiding in the compartment below the deck, still attached.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Roo, that's a slick looking system!

Whenever I decide to work on my audio system I want to go with a Pioneer AVIC-D3 double DINN touchscreen. I don't like the unused space of a single DINN unit. I'll always look at it and wish I'd done something with it. I never use CD's anyway (I've bought one in my life, burned maybe 5 music ones).

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Pretend Innovator

Registered SVX

By MP3 do you mean an AUX hookup to connect Ipod's and such? If so, my recommendation would be this.

1. Get the factory Ipod hookup to go with your WRX 6cd.
2. Buy an amplifier
3. Purchase a high/low range converter which allows you to hook regular speakers up to an amp and connect an amp to a factory style deck.

Benefits - You keep the stock style deck, you get your mp3 compatability, you get more power, it can be done on a budget (e.g. pawn shops or craigslist for amp)

Just my .02
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Again,

I have a STOCK headunit in the white SVX. I hated my iPod, nothing but problems, and sold it after 2 batteries and 2 hard drives . I was referring to MP3-loaded CDs. I do not like using aux hookup with MP3 players, only use it with my laptop when I am out on the road on rare occasions.

Again, I do NOT want to deal with buying an amp, etc. The point has been missed entirely. The headunit is going to be a gift from someone and they asked me what brand/ model I wanted.

I posted this thread with the intent of collecting ideas of some specific successful setups (basic head units) that people are running in their SVX, so that I might have some ideas on other models to look into.

Last edited by Mike621; 06-19-2008 at 02:40 PM.