Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have a 91 Legacy and much to my surprise it has a tranny filter. I was looking down by the battery one day and there it was. Looks just like the dealer supplied one I installed on the SVX. It is a 91 Legacy not a 92 SVX that had the filter. Why? Why? Why? Didn't they put that filter on the SVX is what I would like to know. Then they started to put it on the later SVX's and also to retro fit with the filter kit. Maybe the fate and reliablity of the SVX would have been much different if it had the filter from the start.

I have a question??? Is that Subaru supplied tranny filter a screen or a paper element?
Old 06-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Kamaleon

subaru filter kit??

Is there a kit from subaru for our SVX?

I had a subaru dealer install the tranny cooler and asked them to install also the filter kit and they said that they wouldnt be able to do that job because they would not be able to give warranty on that job, but they did on the cooler installation work..

sounds wierd that if there is a subaru kit why would they refuse to install it ?!?
Old 06-04-2002, 02:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The SVX kit is only available for the 92-93 models with a qualifying VIN and cannot be claimed twice. So if your SVX already has the filter, you'd normally have to purchase the replacement filter at regular price. That's why you should get the legacy kit, which has the same filter and new hoses and hardware to boot. The only thing that doesn't fit correctly is the mounting plate, but you should already have one on your SVX.

KuoH
Old 06-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Kamaleon

My SVX is a 92. Are you saying that subaru should install a tranny filter kit on 92-93 models? I called subaru and gave my vin number and said that there was no recalls and the dealer wouldnt install a tranny filter either..

Luis.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Kamaleon

Unhappy confused.....

update: I called again and gave my bin number.. terer were 2 recalls that were completed 1. Alarm module 2. Cooling hose.

They never mentioned anything about the filter kit, but i asked them about and they said they didnt see anythign under warranty or recalls to fit any tranny filter...

The info i get in here is diferent frm what i get from subaru.. What to do?!

any hints are welcome.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:57 AM
Hater

i have the PermaCool external filter kit. the filter is HUGE (Ford oil filter, i believe.) it doesn't seem like it would give any flow problems, and if i remember right, its good for 50,000 miles. i will probably replace at 40,000, just to be safe . it just seemed to be a better alternative to the factory kit - easier to remove and cheaper to replace the filter - any parts store should have them. it was $32 from Summit, or you could get the Summit brand for $28 (it looks to be the exact same stuff as the PermaCool, probably even manufactured by PC for Summit). includes a hole for a temp sender, and a plug if you don't want to install a gauge. hope that helps,

Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-03-2002, 12:01 PM
Kamaleon

Its good to know our options. If the permacool is in any better than the 'factory' ill use that. How ever im intrigued on the issue of the factory filter kit. If there is is such a thing why would a subaru dealer refuse to install it!?
Old 08-03-2002, 03:42 PM

Registered SVX
ATF external filter

my 92 had a Subaru add-on external filter mounted under the battery. I replaced it with a Perma-Cool spin-on mount. The Perma-Cool mount has a spot for a temp sensor sending unit. Since it is mounted about a foot from where the ATF exits the tranny it's a good temp reading. I use a Fram "X2" spin on filter, good for 7000 miles, I have no problems with line pressure, I have an ATF pressure guage mounted between the spin-on filter & the ATF cooler. The tranny shop that installed
synthetic ATF for me agreed that the X2 filter changed every 7000 miles is a good thing, "stay'n alive, stay'n alive"...

David
Old 08-03-2002, 04:29 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i have the PermaCool external filter kit. the filter is HUGE (Ford oil filter, i believe.) it doesn't seem like it would give any flow problems, and if i remember right, its good for 50,000 miles. i will probably replace at 40,000, just to be safe . it just seemed to be a better alternative to the factory kit - easier to remove and cheaper to replace the filter - any parts store should have them. it was $32 from Summit, or you could get the Summit brand for $28 (it looks to be the exact same stuff as the PermaCool, probably even manufactured by PC for Summit). includes a hole for a temp sender, and a plug if you don't want to install a gauge. hope that helps,

Alan
Alan, what interval would you change ATF? To go
40 or 50,000 on an oil filter is asking for trouble. The Fram "X2" series oil filters are among the best, rated for 7000 miles.
David
Old 08-03-2002, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX
Subaru add-on ATF filter

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I have a 91 Legacy and much to my surprise it has a tranny filter. I was looking down by the battery one day and there it was. Looks just like the dealer supplied one I installed on the SVX. It is a 91 Legacy not a 92 SVX that had the filter. Why? Why? Why? Didn't they put that filter on the SVX is what I would like to know. Then they started to put it on the later SVX's and also to retro fit with the filter kit. Maybe the fate and reliablity of the SVX would have been much different if it had the filter from the start.

I have a question??? Is that Subaru supplied tranny filter a screen or a paper element?
John, someone here took one apart. I think it was cdigerlando.
David
Old 08-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Kamaleon

filetrs and millage.

Does amsoil have ATF filters?? i think they rate their oil filter for 10k to 15k as well as their motor oil..

We know that fram are one of the worse motor oil filter. Why would it be any diff for ATF filters?
Old 08-03-2002, 07:01 PM

Registered SVX
Re: filetrs and millage.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamaleon
Does amsoil have ATF filters?? i think they rate their oil filter for 10k to 15k as well as their motor oil..

We know that fram are one of the worse motor oil filter. Why would it be any diff for ATF filters?
What is it that makes Fram a "worse motor oil filter"?

David
Old 08-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Kamaleon

Exclamation

This an example for Motor Vehicle:
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

I had an other link for motorcycle oil filters and pretty much the same info (About frams).

By no means this si scientific prooff but at least is something to start.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:26 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Kamaleon
This an example for Motor Vehicle:
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

I had an other link for motorcycle oil filters and pretty much the same info (About frams).

By no means this si scientific prooff but at least is something to start.
This link had nothing but a bunch of Hondas in a line up....
Old 08-04-2002, 12:20 AM
Kamaleon

Lightbulb

Yes, its oil filters for hondas from diff companies; Fram, Mobil1, Bosh, STP.. Filters are dissasambled and compared.

disregard the fact that are for hondas since the only diff is the size from one car to an other..