How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

Lightbulb you desreve better than ebay

it costs $700 for half a page in R&T with a good picture. i would advetise it as "Restored" SVX by Giugiaro of ItalDesign with some quotes from Automobile Magazine comparing it to lexus and porsche without all the details on ebay. I would also go all the way with a manual conversion ($2,400 6sp or 1,500 5sp) plus $2,000 for complete conversion. then you will find a well healed buyer who understands what you're offering for $16k. people like that know they get what they pay for and you should too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnmaniac View Post
You can use this SVX on EBAY as a price guide:

Item number: 250183982972

http://tinyurl.com/2vd87s
Old 11-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050 View Post
i dont see much of a demand if you price it much over 15k....and at that price you might not make much not to mention the time you guys invest into doing this.
Even though I am a bit late on this one... I agree with that statement. Even if we allude the low demand bit, you are still putting in a lot of time, and it is not just one person but a couple of you that the marginal profit will be small and rare, now if you increase the price the demand is just going to \_____ (hit the floor)

Just my .05 Rubles.

-Sov
Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
If you wanted to do this Dan, it would probably be about 20k for most of it but with the ECUtune designed motor, it might be a little more expensive. The sway bars... I gotta see about making them. Not sure on the cooling temps etc...

Tom
Tom,
just let me know what size bars you want to offer
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I'm in agreement with some others with "build to order".
I assume you are still keeping your normal services with maintenance and fixing/upgrading others' cars who choose to drive to your new facility correct?

What would be cool, but obviously one step at a time is to possibly open a garage near the midwest for example.....right now you are probably 7-8 hours away..... Have you thought about franchising??
Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
My $'s worth.

Outside of a few members who would be interested in the built-to-order restoration, at this time I see a very limited (if any) market for such a vehicle.

From a consumer's perspective, your target price of $15k is too high considering they could buy an SVX with under 25k miles for the same price or less (assuming they can find one). The vehicle history would accurately reflect the low mileage of the vehicle and the car could be insured for its full value and the whole car would only have 25k. Your rebuilt SVX would essentially still have 100+k miles, and wouldn't be worth much on paper. Since the SVX isn't a collector's car (at least not yet), the paper value is all that really matters.

From a business perspective, your target price is too low. Assuming a cost of at least $4000 to obtain a quality starting platform, plus the cost of all the other materials, I doubt you'd be making more than $4-5k on each car. Plus I imagine most people are going to want some sort of a warranty. With the amount of labor involved and the time it takes to sell them I think you'd be lucky to net $15/hr...before dividing it up.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
We did the math, parts alone without the purchase price would be 11k+. We could start from any car as we will do a frame up(subframe up) restoration. This is not for everyone and believe me there will be several hundreds of man hours into making it perfect. This is not for someone to buy and sell it for profit, this is for someone who truely wants a new SVX and can insure it for whatever price they see fit. There are policies you can get to make sure your car is insured for what WE say the value is. Like I said, this is not for your run of the mill SVX owner, this is for true enthusiasts that want a NEW car. Its an idea, and anyone interested is more than welcome to ask questions and get a quote.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo View Post
My $'s worth.

Outside of a few members who would be interested in the built-to-order restoration, at this time I see a very limited (if any) market for such a vehicle.

From a consumer's perspective, your target price of $15k is too high considering they could buy an SVX with under 25k miles for the same price or less (assuming they can find one). The vehicle history would accurately reflect the low mileage of the vehicle and the car could be insured for its full value and the whole car would only have 25k. Your rebuilt SVX would essentially still have 100+k miles, and wouldn't be worth much on paper. Since the SVX isn't a collector's car (at least not yet), the paper value is all that really matters.

From a business perspective, your target price is too low. Assuming a cost of at least $4000 to obtain a quality starting platform, plus the cost of all the other materials, I doubt you'd be making more than $4-5k on each car. Plus I imagine most people are going to want some sort of a warranty. With the amount of labor involved and the time it takes to sell them I think you'd be lucky to net $15/hr...before dividing it up.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:42 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Like I said, this is not for your run of the mill SVX owner, this is for true enthusiasts that want a NEW car.
Tom
Can we read this as Earl?

Given the funds I'd be interested, but I can't afford a $15k car...even on a 7yr note
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Old Guy

Tom, you are correct that such a car would command a much higher price than a simple "restoration" to an existing car. Nissan, when they rebuilt the Datsun 240Z in 1998, sold their "new" 240Zs for $24,000.00. Best I can tell, they sold the entire lot for this (or near this) price. My bet is that even with the $24K they didn't make any money. The car you propose would have to sell for $30-$35, maybe more, in order for you to make a minimal profit. Folks would have to ask, what else can I buy for that price and how will it compare to a "new" SVX? I again encourage you to use current technology in your rebuild process. Think of it this way - you will not be rebuilding a classic Rolls-Royce, something folks would buy to put in a show or museum. You will be producing a car meant to drive and enjoy, so it only needs to be true to the "spirit" of the original. I still think you have a good idea, but building them to customer spec is probably the way to go. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Maniac modifier

Thats just the thing. I will fix every nack that the SVX has except for the wheel bearing failure, Which I never had re-occur personally. Basically the car will be re-made to show car quality with no detail overlooked. The car would cost $25k or in this price range. Its not comparable to any other car when it comes to a true enthusiast. You or others may ask themselves, "what else could I get for the money" While an enthusiast would ask.... "What more could I ask for?" Basically it is as simple as that.

Tom
Old 11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Graphic Artist

Sign me up for the twin turbo kit sir.

Stat.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-12-2007, 05:03 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides View Post
Tom, you are correct that such a car would command a much higher price than a simple "restoration" to an existing car. Nissan, when they rebuilt the Datsun 240Z in 1998, sold their "new" 240Zs for $24,000.00. Best I can tell, they sold the entire lot for this (or near this) price. My bet is that even with the $24K they didn't make any money. The car you propose would have to sell for $30-$35, maybe more, in order for you to make a minimal profit. Folks would have to ask, what else can I buy for that price and how will it compare to a "new" SVX? I again encourage you to use current technology in your rebuild process. Think of it this way - you will not be rebuilding a classic Rolls-Royce, something folks would buy to put in a show or museum. You will be producing a car meant to drive and enjoy, so it only needs to be true to the "spirit" of the original. I still think you have a good idea, but building them to customer spec is probably the way to go. Best wishes.
Preston
Of course at the time Nissan was doing this to regenerate interest for it's upcoming 350-Z. They considered it advertising expense. Something Tom & crew cannot afford to do.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post
Sign me up for the twin turbo kit sir.

Stat.

-Patrick
If I build a twin turbo, it will be a mid-engine SVX. I will be making 2 different versions of a single turbo kit as long as our business is prosperous.

Tom
Old 11-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

As I said before, I am really interested and barring a major collapse in the economy, would be in a position to commit September or October of next year.

I think the SVXi is a great car. I marvel at how responsive the car is, engine, suspension, etc. This level of performance, not necessarily brute horsepower and speed, but refinement, handling and reponsiveness, should be in a beautiful, squeaky clean, pristine car. Put that all together, and despite its lack of a whoopy-doo British, German or Italian heritage, it's a true classic. Don't care about resale value, just my own appreciation of it.

Believe it or not, I prefer it to the 911 I drove for 11 years. Its a much better car. Just needs a major cosmetic, and internal detailing makeover.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Maniac modifier

Sounds good Dan

Tom
Old 11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Banned

Question mid-engine?

how much to do it right now?
Quote:
If I build a twin turbo, it will be a mid-engine SVX. I will be making 2 different versions of a single turbo kit as long as our business is prosperous.

Tom