Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 PM

Trans or rear diff

I'm having a problem with the transmission or rear differential in my SVX. It runs and drives fine but I get a popping or binding noise when I make a tight turn. It's worse when backing up. Driving straight and normal turns, no problem, but if I turn sharply when I take off or backup it sort of pops or grinds. It seems turning to the left is worse than the right. I'm pretty sure it's not the CV joints. I never hear the telltale CV rattle and I never have any noise when driving down the road. I am assuming it is probably in the rear diff but I was hoping someone may know how to tell if its the diff or in the tranny. Can anyone help?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:12 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sounds like the center diff (the transfer clutches) are binding....could be the solinoid that activates the clutches....
Either can be done with the tranny in the car, by removing the rear housing on the tranny....

some people have had good results by adding "LSD additive" to the tranny fluid (yes the stuff for the rear diff).....

Also, make sure all your tires are the same size, brand, and worn the same....

Miss matched tires on an AWD is a big No-NO
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks. I have a couple of old transmissions laying around. I'll try the rear clutch assembly from one of those. I hated to remove the rear diff from one of my other cars just to see if that was the problem. I have been having trouble finding one to purchase. That would have been a lot of work.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Sconnie

Send a message via MSN to paulmeisterpk
I am having the exact same problem, and I just resealed my trans and put new frictions/steels in. I didn't replace the selenoids. Thats aboult all I didn't do. Any idea which selenoid I might need to replace?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmeisterpk View Post
Any idea which selenoid I might need to replace?

Duty C solenoid. I dunno exactly which on it is in the tranny, but I'd guess it's the only one in the tailshaft housing.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Duty C solenoid. I dunno exactly which on it is in the tranny, but I'd guess it's the only one in the tailshaft housing.

Exactly what Paul said...it's located in the tail housing on the tranny...the only one in there...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM

Registered SVX
it is solieniod c as i just had a blinking power light and it turned out to be that paticular item. at startup does your power light blink ? not come on them go off but blink repeatidly like 16 times
Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Torque bind is usually a result of Solenoid C failing or the clutches binding up in the housing. Either way requires major transmission work.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Sconnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarufamily View Post
it is solieniod c as i just had a blinking power light and it turned out to be that paticular item. at startup does your power light blink ? not come on them go off but blink repeatidly like 16 times
No, I don't think my power light comes on at startup. I have never noticed it at all. I was trying to look for it coming on last time i drove it and didn't see it.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Sconnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Torque bind is usually a result of Solenoid C failing or the clutches binding up in the housing. Either way requires major transmission work.
I am not scared of tranny work, as I have done all the work by myself for it already. I just need to figure out what is the the root cause. I installed new clutch steels and frictions in the transfer case when I did the rest of the transmission.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmeisterpk View Post
I am not scared of tranny work, as I have done all the work by myself for it already. I just need to figure out what is the the root cause. I installed new clutch steels and frictions in the transfer case when I did the rest of the transmission.
Solenoid C activates a transfer control valve via a pilot valve and all are in the same area. These valves must also be considered as suspect. As I understand it, the usual procedure is to replace the complete assembly.

That said, it should be possible to ascertain the exact cause of the problem and act accordingly, rather than simply throw parts at it. Look for worn/damaged valve seats and dirt or debris preventing proper closure. Be sure you have more brains than the wrench monkey paid only to replace anything/everything suspect, so as to add to the bottom line on the charge sheet.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Sconnie

Do you think that I may have the new transfer clutch frictions a bit too tight and they just need to wear in a touch? I've also read that putting LSD additive in the ATF helps. If so, how much and which kind should I put in?
Thanks for your help guys.