Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM

Post White knuckle wobble

Newbie here.

Read lots of posts related to the infamous brake wobble woes most of us are familiar with. Mine was only an issue above 120mph, but a very dangerous pace to have the wheel shake free of your hands, so needless to say I resolved it.
I've been a professional wrench for years and I ALWAYS turn original rotors. New rotors are often inferior material and no matter how straight your rotors may or may not be, the surface is glazed and needs to be cut. I found that all my rotors had some level of 'warpage' for lack of a better term. The pad deposits I've read about here may be a contributing issue when rotors are already scored/warped, sorta like how a washboard affect occurs on a dirt road. But the deposits are minimal compaired to rotors that are not straight.

Cut the smallest amount of material you can off both sides of your rotors equally to get them straight and use a slow last-cut. Don't forget to use your cookie to leave a non-directional finish, then install the top of the line Raybestos pads. (I couldn't find any better). It took a couple hundred miles to break in the new pads, but now I can stop on a dime from 140 with total control of the wheel.

Great site!