How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-26-2006, 07:01 PM
building more AK47's

Angry Electrical questions

My Svx left my wife stranded today and she calls to tell me it wont start. I get there hop in and it starts right up. She says all the dash lights came on then it died. I had the alternator rebuilt 3 yrs ago but the car has sat for most of that time, there is probably less than 3k miles on rebuild. I had the alternator mod but have since removed it due to advice posted here. What is going on?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsvx
My Svx left my wife stranded today and she calls to tell me it wont start. I get there hop in and it starts right up. She says all the dash lights came on then it died. I had the alternator rebuilt 3 yrs ago but the car has sat for most of that time, there is probably less than 3k miles on rebuild. I had the alternator mod but have since removed it due to advice posted here. What is going on?
What a bummer Problem is there is little to go on. Why exactly was your wife stranded? Starter did not operate? Did the dash trouble lights simply come in test mode? It is hard to relate a failure to start with an alternator fault.

Intermittent faults are the worst and you have one. The ignition switch has been shown to be a gremlin in this area.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:57 AM

Happens to me during winter, I tried cleaning my terminals and tighten the bolts on it (battery). Later i removed the starter alarm relay. it was sticking....

When it would happen to me I just took the key back out, opened the door. closed it. start again. DO not know why but it seemed to start.

SVX ghost?

Try this: have your car running, remove both connections to battery. if it dies. it might indicate to alternator isues. Please do not touch both terminals or hold them uninsulated. 12dc is a lot

Last edited by dmnknightomega6; 07-27-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:13 AM

I have heard/read things saying never to run a car without the battery, ie: don't disconnect battery while car is running. Supposed to be bad for the charging system or something to that effect. Anybody else heard of that ?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalach
I have heard/read things saying never to run a car without the battery, ie: don't disconnect battery while car is running. Supposed to be bad for the charging system or something to that effect. Anybody else heard of that ?
yeah I have heard that too.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:58 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalach
I've heard that as well. However, the method he described is a pretty "dirty" but efficient way of telling if you alternator is putting out enough juice to run the car. If you remove the battery and the car dies, you know that it was getting power from the battery, which isn't a good thing if the car is at like 1500 RPM (at low RPM, the alt doesn't turn enough to do the full charging of the system so it draws on the battery a little bit).
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 07-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
found a reference
http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_...ct_battery.htm
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
She says all the dash lights came on then it died.
Did the dash lights come on before or after the engine cut out? If "before" then it could be the usual alternator problem. If "after" then it is just the normal bulb test because the key is in the run position but the engine is not running. Sometimes it's difficult to tell which happens first.

Any "check engine" codes stored?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 07-27-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I had one alternator that did the dash lightup when it went bad in my wife's car. I swapped it into my car (which had the wiring mod) and it worked fine. Put it back in her car and no go (hers did not have the wiring mod)
Strange.

I'd take the car to a local auto place and have them do a thorough alternator test. They will do it for free.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 AM
building more AK47's

Im believing its a bad ground or connection somewhere because the car sat for 3 yrs. Im going to clean and check today. It has a new battery and Ive driven it about 700 miles since the trans swap. Like I said its here and there with the lights about every 4-5 days usually when its hot outside.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:16 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
What a bummer Problem is there is little to go on. Why exactly was your wife stranded? Starter did not operate? Did the dash trouble lights simply come in test mode? It is hard to relate a failure to start with an alternator fault.

Intermittent faults are the worst and you have one. The ignition switch has been shown to be a gremlin in this area.
An explicit answer could enable logical analysis, within what has become complete confusion.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:32 PM

Mine did the exact same thing about 4 months ago. The battery and alternator had been replaced about 6 months prior to that. I had completed a trip of about 75 miles, and the car was still warm after only sitting for about 15 minutes. I got back on the road, drove about 2 miles, had to come to a stop at a light, and as soon as I stopped, the engine lights came on, and then the car died. However, I removed the key, put the shifter back in park, and started it again with no problems. The problem did not come back again, however, I did have my alternator die only 2 weeks ago. However, seeing as how the incident was seperated by almost 4 full months, I think they are probably unrelated.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Im believing its a bad ground or connection somewhere because the car sat for 3 yrs. Im going to clean and check today. It has a new battery and Ive driven it about 700 miles since the trans swap. Like I said its here and there with the lights about every 4-5 days usually when its hot outside.
Mine acted up a couple of months ago. The idiot lights would come on as the engine revved above idle speed. It turned out to be a corroded ground connection from the negative side of battery to the spot where it is connected to the chassis right at the base of the battery. As the current needs increased, the corroded terminal could not handle it.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:53 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
1) After driving, Use a volt meter on the battery while the car is off. Take note of the reading, after an hour check it again. If the voltage droped, then something is draining the battery.
2) If all is o.k, check the battery voltage before and after starting to see if the alt is working. (around 12V off, 14V on)
3) If the volt regulator isn't working properly, the alt thinks the battery is at full charge and won't continue to charge.
4) Also if the battery has a dead cell, it won't charge completly. Have the alt and battery checked in the car.