How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
Thanks Harvey for offering your time to call you, After reading your last post i am 90% convinsed to do the stock rebuild!

I am currently waiting on an email regarding the length of the 4.44 box along with some advice from some Japanese suby nuts.

A question out of the lefter over 10% for the 4.44? how hard is it to swap out the tcu?

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 01-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Well I can get my hands on a USDM driveshaft and I have an extra USDM TCU of that would help. Is the wiring the same??

Tom
Old 01-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Endangered Species

Thanks tom, let me see what happens first!

Also here are some underside shots of my svx, (exuse the writing i used them in a differnt thread and for some emails)

Center baring

Rear Diff

G'Box meats Driveshaft

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 01-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Unless the JDM 4.4 box has the epicyclic 40/60, AWD and is the same length as the Aus. SVX box, which I doubt, It won't plug n play, the tail shaft will have to be lengthened. The Difference AWD makes the Aus. box about 3" longer than, either the US SVX or the Liberty/Legacy/JDM.

If you replace it with any other box, the TCU has to be changed, as the different AWD is operated differently by the TCUs.

Harvey.
Harvey,
Can the rear tail section of the Aus SVX be fitted to the US 4EAT tranny?
I would think all the main Transmission case and internals are the same....

Just a thought...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
I am currently working on getting those two SVX's I saw here, the damaged burgundy and the mint silver one. If I do I will send you that driveshaft from the burgundy Tom.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
Harvey,
Can the rear tail section of the Aus SVX be fitted to the US 4EAT tranny?
I would think all the main Transmission case and internals are the same....

Just a thought...
Hi, Huck I reckon the main shaft would be different. In the Euro it passes through the transfer gear, to drive the front sun gear, in the epicyclic set. Whereas the Transfer model ends at the gear, I think. There are some scans in my locker from the manual, that show the internals.

Do you know if the Double offset joint can be disassembled?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack Subaru
Just buy a conversion kit and slap in a steelcase supra 5 speed, (great for wheelspin!!!)
Too many questions, none of which seem specific to me, sorry JJ.
Although I do not believe that a 4.44 'diff conversion', (if that's what you're thinking of doing?), would 'plug and play', there are calibrations in the TCU for speed semsors etc which control gear changes etc, I don't 'think' it would work 'that easy'
Sorry
Sixpack
Yes Sixpack, that is another point. The US/Liberty/Legacy No.2 speed sensor, that runs the speedo and supplies the road speed for the gear changes, runs off the RHS front wheel shaft. So the diff ratio change, doesn't affect the speedo or the shift points, in that type of transmission.

Our No.2 speed sensor is run off the parking pawl gear, on the transmission side of the final gears. So the speedo will read faster, and the changes will occur at a lower road speed.

Harvey.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Hi, Huck I reckon the main shaft would be different. In the Euro it passes through the transfer gear, to drive the front sun gear, in the epicyclic set. Whereas the Transfer model ends at the gear, I think. There are some scans in my locker from the manual, that show the internals.

Do you know if the Double offset joint can be disassembled?

Harvey.

I took one apart......but......it wasn't rebuildable...at least no way I could deduce, with what tools I have available to me...

I'll take a look at those scans in your locker....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I am currently working on getting those two SVX's I saw here, the damaged burgundy and the mint silver one. If I do I will send you that driveshaft from the burgundy Tom.
Why??

Tom
Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Endangered Species

ok to keep up my dwindeling hopes of an esey 4.44 swap, a friend (the guy with the 4.44 for me) tells me that from the pics i have sent him a wrx 4.44 lsd should bolt straight up drive safts and all, how wrong is he?????

also no one comented on how hard it was to swap out our stock tcu for a liberties???

Also... Silverspear may be selling a box, would a middle easten box fit into my SVX Harvey???

Last edited by -JJ-; 01-09-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
ok to keep up my dwindeling hopes of an esey 4.44 swap, a friend (the guy with the 4.44 for me) tells me that from the pics i have sent him a wrx 4.44 lsd should bolt straight up drive safts and all, how wrong is he?????

also no one comented on how hard it was to swap out our stock tcu for a liberties???

Also... Silverspear may be selling a box, would a middle easten box fit into my SVX Harvey???

Forgot Jake, the Liberty TCU swap is just, plug it in, no difference in the fitting, just the operation. The Libo box is probably the same as ours, but it may not be as good as your rebuilt one.

Harvey.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Endangered Species

I have had further conversations with a friend with contacts in japan and i can get a jdm 3.7 4eat over for $1250 with 40000kms aprox... i thought this was perdy good!

my transmission code is TZ102YP1BA

the code of the gearbox he quoted ends in AA
am i better off getting mine rebuilt?

He is also looking into a transmission the same but with a code of CA at the end, would this box be a later version and come with the improved high clutch and friction surfaces that occured after 1992??

It is in my friends opinion that if i strength my box it will break something else later on? so there for a nearly new stock box would be better..

what are your opionions?

Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
I have had further conversations with a friend with contacts in japan and i can get a jdm 3.7 4eat over for $1250 with 40000kms aprox... i thought this was perdy good!

my transmission code is TZ102YP1BA

the code of the gearbox he quoted ends in AA
am i better off getting mine rebuilt?

He is also looking into a transmission the same but with a code of CA at the end, would this box be a later version and come with the improved high clutch and friction surfaces that occured after 1992??

It is in my friends opinion that if i strength my box it will break something else later on? so there for a nearly new stock box would be better..

what are your opionions?
My 95 has a code of TZ102YP1CA. Phil or Joe may have more on the JDM box models. Some are different to ours, with the speed sensor in the front diff.

It is a gamble either way with the JDMs, if it gives trouble, you have no recourse, get yours rebuilt here and you have the repairers close handy, in case of trouble.

I would think when the box is rebuilt, the latter parts would be used. The one they built for the Easy Street car, seemed strong enought.

Harvey.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Endangered Species

easy street car? never heard of it??

I have spoken to the builders again

1) Metro Mechanical in sydney want $1950 for a replacement box with a complete set of brand new internals gear set.... everything new with twelve months warranty, plus $200 for taking the old out and putting the new in. Very knolegeable about the svx new diff ratios etc... also did reaserch for me regarding the 4.44 swap.... sounds trustworthy

2) Wollongong Automatics want between $1500 and $1800 (depending on wheather the gear set needs replacing) to do a rebuild of my box, replacing everything else... includes labour, they will possibly use used parts ??? i dont know for sure they mentioned using parts from spare boxes they have... sounds a bit doddgy im not sure, very nice people to deal with even if they didnt quite remember me at first.

3) Get JDM box from Japan

what would you do?

I think i am swaying to 1) and not goin cheap but i have very little money (20yr old student) so there ya go... advice please?

Old 01-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
easy street car? never heard of it??

I have spoken to the builders again

1) Metro Mechanical in sydney want $1950 for a replacement box with a complete set of brand new internals gear set.... everything new with twelve months warranty, plus $200 for taking the old out and putting the new in. Very knolegeable about the svx new diff ratios etc... also did reaserch for me regarding the 4.44 swap.... sounds trustworthy

2) Wollongong Automatics want between $1500 and $1800 (depending on wheather the gear set needs replacing) to do a rebuild of my box, replacing everything else... includes labour, they will possibly use used parts ??? i dont know for sure they mentioned using parts from spare boxes they have... sounds a bit doddgy im not sure, very nice people to deal with even if they didnt quite remember me at first.

3) Get JDM box from Japan

what would you do?

I think i am swaying to 1) and not goin cheap but i have very little money (20yr old student) so there ya go... advice please?
Sorry meant the Rigoli car.

Option 1. Sounds like a good deal. I'd go with the ones that have the experience.

Harvey.