Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Sixpack Subaru

One important factor has been unmentioned. When you put the FWD fuse in, (or fit a switch to one side of the fuese supply line and leave the fuse in all the time with a switch 'on-dash' permanantly), the TCM DOES not continue to give the same outputs as the AWD control map. It effectively disables the rear end. I can understand how people crapped out the tranny in no time if the rear shaft is removed. But other than mechanical failure through abuse, if the fuse is fitted, that's about all you'll do to the auto. I have fitted HEAPS of these 2WD switches on das-saved BIG$$$ on fuel too!!!
NEVER had an auto spit. I guess unless the auto is different over there, I would use the 2WD sparingly, unless it's dry, and you're on the freeway, then I would leave it on till it started raining or I arrived in a town....(as has been done before by just about every customer I have ever had tell me they are going away and want to save fuel!!)
Cheers
PHEW!
Sixpack
Old 12-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yes you can use the FWD like we mentioned, it is not for daily use, it is mostly for trouble shooting or if you have a flat. It has also been proven that it has next to n effect on gas mileage...

Tom
Old 12-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Did u prove it yourself? I did. Perhaps the auto's are different?
If you were a little more mechanically minded you wouldn't disagree with me.....but oh well There is always someone
Cheers Pal
Sixpack
Old 12-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Donate to the mod fund

Send a message via AIM to BigBlueSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Ok... just my 2 cents...

Since all Subaru Front wheel drive differentials have the same gear ratio... 3.70 I feel that maybe Subaru treated these gear a little more to make them more resistant to wear so they could handle 100% of the power put out. WHile Harvey is correct about the TCU... there is no doubt in my mind that a FWD SVX can spin tires all day if it wanted to. SO... THe 3.54 gears in the AWD auto SHOULD be able to handle 100% power that is put out but I would not recommend this over extended periods of time in fear of destroying gears. I have also found that with every front diff I have rebuilt in an SVX auto the pinion bearing has crapped out. I feel it's lack of exposure to gear lub. is the cause. So in closing... Make sure your AWD works and you have a much better chance at keeping your gears and bearing is one piece... also keep up on your front diff fluid to make sure it is still good and the level is where it wants to be

Tom
yeah that is very true about the FWD, if you want them to spin, they will spin no matter what the TCU/ECU does (and I didn't know that it tried to limit wheel spin until now, because it isn't noticeable). My front diff did go out, but that was after a head on collision with a telephone pole, don't know if it would have gone out otherwise.

and sixpack, of all people on this site I think Tom knows what he is talking about, and this subject has been discussed many times on this site. I don't know about foreign cars, but for US cars it is risky to run it in FWD, and there is no effect on gas mileage.

Now part of the DSM crowd: 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Old 12-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack Subaru
Did u prove it yourself? I did. Perhaps the auto's are different?
If you were a little more mechanically minded you wouldn't disagree with me.....but oh well There is always someone
Cheers Pal
Sixpack
Do you want to expand on this a bit, and explain how, Useing the FWD fuse saves gas.?
Hope you never did this to an Australian SVX.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Whoa nelly... wasn't making an attack there relax. Just think logically there would be minmal gain by using FWD over AWD because there is going to be dead weight of the AWD parts. Yes, there will be a little less loss because the power is not traveling through the rear but you are still dragging those parts along for the ride so the gain would maybe 1mpg if you were lucky.

Tom
Old 12-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Talking

I have only ever done it to one SVX here, the guy was really happy and said he was getting around 150kms extra to a tank.
I follow the theory that dragging the parts behind you may expend the same energy as pushing them, but hey, what can you do? He wasn't lying was he?
Maybe he was? He said that as a rule he would get aroun 150kms extra to a tank when he was travelling interstate, (he did alot of that), than he did without the fuse fitted. I am not saying remove it and do burnouts/get wheelspin, but if you're on the freeway-HE swears by it!!LOL!
Not arguing, just my 0.2c
Cheers ppl

Sixpack
Old 12-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Sixpack Subaru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Whoa nelly... wasn't making an attack there relax. Just think logically there would be minmal gain by using FWD over AWD because there is going to be dead weight of the AWD parts. Yes, there will be a little less loss because the power is not traveling through the rear but you are still dragging those parts along for the ride so the gain would maybe 1mpg if you were lucky.

Tom
Just jokin' Tommo!!!
Sorry, I prolly should wait a bit longer before I try to be funny!!LOL!
sorry,
Sixpack