IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Half-Life 2 and CS:Source

I've always liked HL.
Installed Valve's very official sequel couple nights ago and I am quite impressed of the detail put into the world NPCs and physics engine.

This is a 'must play' IMO, and I am even running somewhere around the minimum system requirements.

I find myself spending time stacking up objects like crates and pallets and blowing them up, throwing them at people or into water.

CS = CounterStrike
Infamous MOFPS (multiplayer online first person shooter).

I never liked the original, with all it's dedicated nerd fans, but Source is fun and it's namesake physics/graphical engine is nothing short of a counter terrorism training program, provided your teammates aren't morons, throwing friendly flashbangs at you.

Very enthralling gameplay and I play at Seattle HUN, one of the better servers.
Name: _Z_Ryuken

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm trying to quit Countercrack lol
Old 01-01-2005, 06:23 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
i play all time time. give me a hollar at aim: awdrifting we can play sometime
phil

name: (-hpc-) phast
Old 01-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Alright I'll look you up sometime.

I just got this I6 hovercraft in HL.

SAWEEEEEEEET.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-01-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
HL2 came out just in time. I had just finished my stuff on the currnt project, and we had like 40+ HL2 licenses we got 'free' with new video cards, so I did a little 'research.'

I was a little disappointed in the length - HL2 only took me two days at work to run through. But other than that, I'll just say it was phenomenal. Fantastic polish, amazing attention to detail. Dog is one of the coolest robots in a game, ever.

And Nik, you're right - the characters in the game, like those in the first, raise the bar again. One of my favorite moments is when one of the femal characters (can't remember which one) is walking backwards and then does a very lifelike transition to walking forwards. That's awesome. It's the little things, you know? Of course, when you've got the kind of memory that's available on PCs these days, you can store unique, one-off animations like that.

I played with the deathmatch add-on that was released a couple weeks after HL2, but only once. A coworker and I just threw stuff at eachother, playing with different combinations.

'Okay, I'm going to throw this heat register at you, and you throw the toilet at it ...'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-02-2005, 05:19 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
HL2 came out just in time. I had just finished my stuff on the currnt project, and we had like 40+ HL2 licenses we got 'free' with new video cards, so I did a little 'research.'

I was a little disappointed in the length - HL2 only took me two days at work to run through. But other than that, I'll just say it was phenomenal. Fantastic polish, amazing attention to detail. Dog is one of the coolest robots in a game, ever.

And Nik, you're right - the characters in the game, like those in the first, raise the bar again. One of my favorite moments is when one of the femal characters (can't remember which one) is walking backwards and then does a very lifelike transition to walking forwards. That's awesome. It's the little things, you know? Of course, when you've got the kind of memory that's available on PCs these days, you can store unique, one-off animations like that.

I played with the deathmatch add-on that was released a couple weeks after HL2, but only once. A coworker and I just threw stuff at eachother, playing with different combinations.

'Okay, I'm going to throw this heat register at you, and you throw the toilet at it ...'
Being a huge counter-strike junkie i found HL2 to be incredibly easy(waaay too short 2 days for me as well) and innacurate as far as controls go, but sweet in the efects department. HL deathmatch got my attention for all of 5 minutes :\
phil
Old 01-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Network Design Administrator

I will 'pwn' you all, LOL
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Only 2 days? I spent 6 hours just cruising around on the hover craft/swamp buggy, and a few more on the dune buggy.
The buggy kicks the proverbial major booty.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I am currently going through HL2 in single player mode. I LOVE the physics in this game. Un-be-freakin-leavable! When you toss an empty plastic milk jug it feels like one. When you toss a cinderblock it feels like one. Truly cool stuff. The ragdoll effect when you kill an enemy is amazing also. I popped a guard and his head got stuck in some wires and his body just dangled and swung there. just amazed me how realistic it all is. And the game play rocks. Doom3 has nothing on this game.

Hardware requirements are not bad either. My FX5200 plays it perfectly and smooth. No trouble at all!

Johnny (votes HL2 as best game yet)

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.

Last edited by CigarJohnny; 01-04-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
I'm using a Radeon 9000. xP

The one thing I think needs a major overhaul is the flashlight. Way sucky.

I'm at this part where I just climbed a cliff, and I have the huge insects at my disposal, but there is a gunship flying around and I autosaved with only 13 health and I have no rockets.

I don't know what to do. :/

I'm going to try and make the bugs attack the gunship.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:00 AM
SVX Appeal

I've been playing through it very slowly. (Hardest skill level, and I take time to thoroughly explore the levels.) It lives up to my expectations. I'm running at 1Ghz with a GeForce2 and 1.5GB RAM. I'm a little below the minimum requirements, at least in processor speed, but I have everything except the resolution cranked all the way up and it runs quite smoothly. Load times are slow, but I don't think it's just me. Every level reminds me that it's worth the wait.

I thought the flashlight was actually pretty decent - until I turned it off at least. Unfortunately, because of a bug with the hardware Direct X version of my video card (DX7,) I'm unable to use any zoom or flashlight features of the suit. I had to console hack early on just so I could find my way through some of the darker places. (mat_fullbright, and fov) ...but that led to some other fun discoveries:

Want to have more fun with the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator, AKA, the Physcannon? Firsts you must set cheats 1, then bump up all the physcannon values, such as physcannon_maxforce, physcannon_pullforce, physcannon_tracelength, etc. At minimum, add another digit to the end of each value. Throw that airboat all the way across the level.

Also, npc_create npc_pigeon is cute. Spawn a whole flock of birds and then just go crazy with the shotgun. It works with seagulls and crows too. This is truly important, need-to-know information. You never know when you might need to spawn Dog thirty-seven times in a very small space.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
You never know when you might need to spawn Dog thirty-seven times in a very small space.
LMAO

Here's what I want to know...
In all the preview movies they show the psycannon picking things up at a distance and holding them there. Now that I have the game when I pick something up I can only hold it right against the gun or throw it explosively. I also noticed that you can only grab inanimate objects and not people. In the previews you could grab someone by the ankle, hold them 30 feet out from you, and swing them like a dead cat to take out other enemies. What gives? Did they change the code for the final release version or am I missing some trick?

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:50 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
In the previews you could grab someone by the ankle, hold them 30 feet out from you, and swing them like a dead cat to take out other enemies. What gives? Did they change the code for the final release version or am I missing some trick?

Johnny
Wait for it....
Old 01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Waiting.

I'm not into cheats, though. I'll try that after defeating the game 3 times, once for each skill level.
I use easy to explore and look at the prettythings, then hard to just run and gun.

Have you seen the pigeonand the raven that doesn't fly? The ones that just sit there. I thought maybe they were some kind of trick or something.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:23 AM

i play cs source.....i use x fire since the friends network sucks, my name is Phoenix3737 on x fire

i play under the name #team_rage | Phoenix

you could prolly see me using the alias #team_rage sucks | Phoenix (sarcastically making fun of my own team haha)

i also use the name William hung everyonce in a while or ill use no name and just have the blank alt+0160 character but almost 99% percent of the time i use #team_rage | Phoenix

you could proll see me around in house of scouts (24/7 scoutsknives)

that one 24/7 assualt server, the hk| servers and those are pretty much some of the ones im always in even though i usually play in whatever server the rest of the clan is in

***sold***

"was" The Only Subaru Svx Owner in Laredo Tx., or maybe atleast only owner registered here....

http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix_3737

Last edited by Phoenix_3737; 01-13-2005 at 10:28 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: