Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-08-2004, 08:49 PM

Suggestions, comments and observations

After putting a few hundred miles on the OD I have a few questions to pose.

1. The passenger side key does not lock/unlock the doors. Is this normal?

2. When first started up, and for about 5 min or so, a noise that seems like a power steering whine can be heard. Again, is this normal?

3. Again, only when first started, and for a few min after. A short buzzing can be heard when easy acceleration from a standing start. I suspect its the one of the heat shields or perhaps a resonator.
Normal?

4. I have posted a number of pictures in my locker. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

After only 300 miles I have found the car to be all I had hoped it would be. Well behaved in the twists, sedate and smooth on the straights (if a bit long legged, I am gonna have to get used to using the cruise control to prevent tickets I think) and all the creature comforts of home.

Ya its addiction city, gonna be tough to keep in the garage.
1993 Subaru SVX (#006 01/93) 104k - To travel in style and grace.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Suggestions, comments and observations

Quote:
Originally posted by drxman
2. When first started up, and for about 5 min or so, a noise that seems like a power steering whine can be heard. Again, is this normal?Ya its addiction city, gonna be tough to keep in the garage.
I can help you with this one. Svxfiles told me about this fix over the weekend...

The power steering whine isn't normal, but is easily fixed. It's basically an indication that your P/S fluid needs to be changed. Best part, you can do it for $2.50!

On the P/S reservoir cap, it'll say that Dextron 3 fluid should be added which is the same thing as the ATF we use in our cars. Buy a $1.50 quart of ATF along with a $0.99 Turkey baster from a dollar store.

Pull up and out the little filter at the top of the P/S reservoir and use the turkey baster to empty the reservoir. Refill to the proper mark with new ATF fluid and drive around for 1 day. The next day, repeat the process. The noise will go away.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-09-2004, 06:58 AM

Re: Re: Suggestions, comments and observations

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
Refill to the proper mark...
I'd like to emphasize that point: Go by the markings on the dipstick. Don't just eyeball it the way I did (after replacing the return hose), because if there's even just a bit too much fluid in the reservoir, it will force its way out around the cap while you're driving.

dcb
Old 09-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Suggestions, comments and observations

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
I'd like to emphasize that point: Go by the markings on the dipstick. Don't just eyeball it the way I did (after replacing the return hose), because if there's even just a bit too much fluid in the reservoir, it will force its way out around the cap while you're driving.
Very good point. Svxfiles stressed that point as well. Always re-fill to the required level on the dipstick...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Certified Porschephile

I had the heat shield clatter on my 94. It goes away once it warms up as heated metal expands a little bit over cold. I think it's an easy fix. I just got used to it. (and kept it hot)
Old 09-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Suggestions, comments and observations

Quote:
Originally posted by drxman
After putting a few hundred miles on the OD I have a few questions to pose.

1. The passenger side key does not lock/unlock the doors. Is this normal?
That's correct. The passenger door lock will follow the driver lock but not the other way around.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info

The PS fluid is right at the top of the hot level when hot, does appear a bit brown tho. The eyedropper on steroids idea sounds perfect. I like the price too. Will try it this weekend.

I like the idea about just keeping the heat shield hot as well, its not very distracting and does not happen after about 2 min driving. I have not driven any of my other cars since getting the SVX btw. Gotta get a handle on that soon or the miles will rise too quickly... But not too soon :P

The door lock issue is a bit unusual as the passenger side door does not open but stays locked when you turn the key on the passengers side. I just assumed that the passenger side would only open the passenger side door, not the drivers as well. The drivers side door lock does open both however, as well as locking both doors. Its as tho the passenger side outer keylock is not working. It turns fine both directions, but does not lock or unlock the passengers side door. Need to get a Hanes or Chiltons manual yet for the SVX of course.

Thanks for the input from you all. I will always put a good idea to the test and post a result.

John
Old 09-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

And the definative answer is.....
(you made me go try it out).
The passenger door CAN be locked & unlocked with the key.
Anyone's car unable to perform this function is obviously ready for the scrap yard.

Ron (buying scrap SVXes).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:47 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Bloomington,MN, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Ellicott,MD, So, what for you city boys lock yer cars anyways?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:09 PM

Not just yet :P

Thanks Ron,

Yea I know its a big thing, but hey at least the car dosen't call its doors "jars".

Who knows what strange quirks are designed in on purpose.

I would suspect the passenger side door is seldom if ever locked/unlocked by key. Even you had to "go check"

I appreciate the effort.

John
Old 09-09-2004, 10:12 PM

little quirks

drxman,
If you're going to take the time to "drain" the p. steer fluid, you might as well also change the o-ring between the reservoir and the pump body. If it's not bad now, it will probably be bad during your ownership.
It's VERY cheap and you've just done most of the labor already. You'll thank yourself later.
There are great instructions in the "how to" section.
Good luck and many happy miles,
mile-hi-bri - Brian
Old 09-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Peach

getting to know yours

Congrats Drxman. Three hundred miles is a good test drive. All Svxers can remember there first impressions, my only advice is to drive it three hundred more! You will become more familiar with it's quirks and sounds. In no time at all you will hear it when it calls, "too corny?" Anyway enjoy it, sounds like the car has you wrapped around it's..... tires. That's a good thing!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by svxfiles
Winnipeg, Manitoba. So, what for you city boys lock yer cars anyways?
You've obviously never been to Winnipeg

aka South Central Manitoba
aka South Central Canada

I believe we hold some sort of homocide record for Canada.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:04 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If I wanted to go someplace bittercold, where my life was in danger, it's only 5 miles to my ex-wifes house .

Old 09-15-2004, 09:39 PM

An update

The following is an update:

1. Passenger side keylock does work, CW unlock, CCW lock. Opposite of driver side actions. Whoda thunkit.

2. Power steering gets better with every transfusion, on the second one right now. Much better on noise, but a few more transfusions needed as it must be original fluid. tisk,tisk.

3. Buzz from shield remains, gives the car a nice quirk without causing negative effects. I think I will keep it

New observations:

1. New batteries for the remotes, hmm 8 pill size batts for each remote or one 12V... Well at 3.50 each for pills and 3.50 for a pair of 12V I went with the 12V model. A shame the remotes don't work. One is dead, the other seems to transmit all the time with a battery installed. After 5 min or so the alarm sorta goes off like its trying to program itself. Still experimenting with that remote.

2. Tires: Front are Yokohama A550V P225/50 R16 91V. 7k miles on them.
Rear tires are Vredestein Giugiaro Sportrac 225/50 R16 92V. Unknown miles but similar wear to Yoko's.
I don't know jack about tires but the tread of each mfg are very much the same, a V type tread. They don't look all that good for snow tho. Overall handling in wet and dry is very good, or so it seems to me so far.

3. In closing I would just like to say I have a horrible problem with this car. I can't keep from driving it every day to work. So anyone who knows a way to drive it all the time while not putting on any miles....