Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 AM

SVX/Legacy brake interchange

This isn't about a swap but more about what Legacy brake parts were used on the SVX. The SVX uses Legacy 1 pot rear calipers; I want to know from what year(s) and trim level(s) Legacy's(N/A/AWD/Turbo)? I found a company that sells rear big brake kit upgrades most for Impreza/WRX/Outback/Forester models w/5x100 bolt spacing to upgrade rear rotors to 290x10mm the same size as ours except for the 5x114.3 spacing. Where it becomes relevant the SVX, is that the kits also include an upgrade to STI rotors using our 5x114.3 spacing; the rotors can increase to 316x 18mm w/5x114.3 spacing and use Legacy 1 pot calipers. Sound familiar. The Legacy 1 pot calipers are from 90's and are Legacy Sport calipers. So do we have Legacy Sport calipers and only need to upgrade to STI rotors. Once I find out what calipers the SVX uses, I will contact them to inquire. Maybe we don't need to buy anything other than brackets from them and can source STI rotors/pads/Legacy calipers from aftermarket Subaru sources. Before someone responds that there are Brembo kits available, I don't need them for every day driving and they are expensive (worth the cost for certain applications).
Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Re: SVX/Legacy brake interchange

So no big brake guru knows this information?
Old 02-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Rear brakes are a waste to upgrade if you're not going to do the front at all. The front does 65-75% of the braking. It used the same pads and I believe the same calipers for the rear only.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM

I don't agree that upgradng rear brakes is a waste of time. I do agree that the fronts do most of the stopping but upgrading the brakes can change this proportion. The trick is to upgrade but not to the point that the rears lockup. Brembo's have a split between front/rear where the rear have a larger proportion split than other systems used on Subaru' s. This thread shows why upgrading rears is important.http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1265631
Old 03-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

I upgraded mine with some vented rotors from eBay. Unless you're doing a lot of hard braking, significant upgrades aren't really necessary for the street. If you're going to upgrade anything, I would look into bigger rotors for the front, as the stock ones are almost too small and a few good hard stops will warp the front rotors if you aren't careful. As far as I know, all Legacies except possibly the 90 base models, had rear discs with the parking brake inside the rotor hat like the SVX does, however the Legacy Turbo did use larger brakes front and rear.
Someone told me that stock STi brakes will bolt onto the SVX although I have not confirmed it. (Stock STi brakes can usually be gotten for fairly cheap since most of those guys upgrade them)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM

I've read so many threads about upgrading brakes that I have information overload. The SVX shares it's brakes w/90's Legacy's. From various threads,the SVX uses 290x10mm rotors w/190 parking brakes.: 290x18mm/320x18mm solid/ vented rotors are readily available, although I don't know if the SVX calipers will accommodate the thicker rotor w/o a new bracket. STI rotors will fit the rear and require STI calipers/ pads,(requires some modifications & changing backing plates-info is in our forum). DBA has "multifit" rotors that can be used w/STI 05-07 calipers. Although some members don't see any benefit to upgrading the rears, IMO, a thicker rotor helps to reduce brake fade which may not be a common problem w/street driving (I have experienced this on long steep downgrades-not w/SVX) and a larger diameter rotor does increase braking force. IMO, any increase in braking performance, no matter how small, is worth it if it helps prevent an accident/injury by reducing stopping distance(tires play a major part but it's called a "braking system".