Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-11-2012, 05:24 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Front suspension knock

Ok,

I retightened everything - the rubber bushings holding the whole rack in place seem ok. I took the calipers off, the pins had a little grease on them - I put copper paste on them.

Removing the sway bar end link for trial was a mistake - the bar interferes with the half shaft and makes a bang . So I reinstalled that.

There's no detectable play in the steering columns shaft or its U-joints. With the engine off there are two separate audible knocks, though, coming from either the shaft system or from inside the rack. I was alone and not able to pinpoint exactly where they come from....

What kind of noises do you guys hear when rocking the wheel from side to side with the engine off?

I also noticed that there's just a little axial play in the half shafts - yanking them left to right makes about the sound as I hear inside while driving on washboard surface..... hard to imagine this could happen when they are rotating under load.

Let's keep on hunting

Tapani
Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

On North American cars the strut was re-designed and replaced by those who complained because of thumping/knocking on irregular surfaces. It was inherent to the original design. If memory serves me correctly Mercedes had a similar design at the time. It was best described as the sound of a floating caliper. I remember it as a definite thump, not a knock. I wonder if Finland still uses the old style struts.

Another thing that I have read on this forum is that some members received OEM struts that failed very soon after installation, due to their age as they had been sitting on a shelf for almost 20 years.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Registered SVX

Interesting - mine is a US spec vehicle - a 1992.

Does anyone have the details on the strut mount change?

The shocks seem to work ok - one thing is to pull one and check.

Tapani
Old 02-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It was the entire strut that was redone, not the mount.

Having said, that have you checked your mounts to ensure they are not broken.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:46 PM

Registered SVX

Ok, I remebered having seen this somewhere.... found it at the information warehouse http://www.svx-iw.com/

Does anyone have any experience or the details? What changed - see attachement.

Tapani

Modified Strut Mounts Available to Eliminate Noise
Author: Subaru
Printable Version | Submit Feedback

NUMBER: 05-31-93

DATE: 03-31-93

APPLICABILITY:
SVX

SUBJECT:
MODIFIED STRUT MOUNTS

If you encounter a complaint of a knocking noise from the front of a Subaru SVX, when driving over bumps, it will be necessary to install a set of modified strut mounts. However, all other possibilities must be eliminated first.

The modified part is available through normal parts channels using Part Number 20320PA001. Two must be ordered since these strut mounts must be installed as a set. The procedure for transfer of the modified strut mounts remains the same as described in Section 4-1 of the 1992 Subaru SVX Service Manual.

This procedure may be claimed under the Subaru Limited Warranty using the information:

Also http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...uk/message/929

b3lha must be Phil Skuse in the UK :-) I will e-mail him too.

Re: thanks

I bought the mounts from a Subaru dealer and replaced them myself.
Took an afternoon - strut came out ok, just the spring compressing
that was as always a bit fraught. Cured the noise though. I'm sure
that if you go onto the subaru-svx.net website and do a search there,
you will find a how to.

Good luck

Tony

--- In svxclubuk@yahoogroups.com, "ally.fairlie" <ally.fairlie@b...>
wrote:
> Tonyshale & b3lha,
> Thanks for the advice regarding the suspension Knocking. I bought
my svx about 10 months ago and its always had a rattle especially
aver cobles. I originally took it back to the garage that I bought
it from and they could find nothing wrong with it. I also tried to
find the problem, the only thing I could find was Rattling front pads
witch was cured when new ones were fitted. The main and noisy knock
was still evident. All seems well on the lower suspension and
steering. I think that the strut tower bearings are worth a try.
I've been looking for information regarding the strut mounts and
there's a web page that makes reference to modified strutmounts Part
No. 20320PA001 available from Subaru on a limited waranty basis.
Does anyone have some experience or knowledge of this mod?.
>
> Thanks for your help Ally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strut mount.JPG (155.7 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Tapani; 02-12-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

The number 20320PA001 is not coming up for me. This one keeps coming up instead 20320PA011, so perhaps the old number has been superceded?

Anyway, my suspension is about a year old - new struts, mounts, rubbers, BJs, TREs, etc. I too have been noticing a slight noise as described previously, going over uneven surfaces. Going over large bumps, I don't seem to notice the noise. I too checked everything as the OP so I'm unsure of the source of this slight clunking as well.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Registered SVX

Ok,

I took the passenger side strut out - everything looks good, the bearing is tight, but it was rather dry. Not rub or contact marks indicating anythin unusual. I packed the bearing with fresh grease.

I also took out the RH sway bar bushing. It is dry and hard, but not loose. Lubed it with some silicone grease and put everything back together and went for spin.

You guessed it - no change. Careful listening locates the knock closer to the center of the car (front) rather than strut towers.... also lower.

Had my son rock the steering wheel back and forth - there is an ever so slight play somewhere - actually two separate, both minimal..... With the wheels on the ground and my son rocking the wheel I inspected the U-joints and the rubber joint - all seemd OK.

There is an audible knock from inside the rack - or actually two . One with very small movement the other when increasing the steering wheel movement a bit. There's no slop in the steering. The wheels start to turn exactly when the steering wheel is touched.

While on the lift and carefully listening from below I think one comes from the pinion/rack contact and the other more to the right - close to where the rack piston is.... has anyone tried to tighten / adjust the pressure pad adjustment while the rack is installed? The lock nut seems difficult.

I need to get the vehicle on a different type of lift.... one with the weight of the car on the wheels. The knock is much, much louder this way and thus easier to locate.

Tapani
Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Registered SVX

I looked into this again - this time with a friend and on a lift with the weight of the cars on the wheels.

I am starting to lean on the struts themselves just like SVX_MY_BABY suggested below.

Found also, that the flex joint in the steering input shaft might be making sound. Not this one, though. The rubber is so soft that the dowels hit the slots they are in - they have contact marks on them. Under the axial rivets which hold the flex joint together are steel plates (like wings to support the rubber) - are these supposed to be completely straight? Mine are bent a bit and allow the rubber flex and then the dowels contact the steel slot. Am I making any sense here ?

Anybody replace this part?

Tapani
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
I looked into this again - this time with a friend and on a lift with the weight of the cars on the wheels.

I am starting to lean on the struts themselves just like SVX_MY_BABY suggested below.

Found also, that the flex joint in the steering input shaft might be making sound. Not this one, though. The rubber is so soft that the dowels hit the slots they are in - they have contact marks on them. Under the axial rivets which hold the flex joint together are steel plates (like wings to support the rubber) - are these supposed to be completely straight? Mine are bent a bit and allow the rubber flex and then the dowels contact the steel slot. Am I making any sense here ?

Anybody replace this part?

Tapani
that's a "rag joint" it's supposed to break if you get in a collision. the metal discs are supposed to be bent and it should have some play. it sounds like yours is too loose. you can buy a new replacement disc at pretty much any auto parts store you just have to buy the correct size. to replace it take the whole assembly off and do it on a bench.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback