Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T
5 speed swap issues

Hey guys. I finally got my 2005 Saab 9-2X transmission bolted to the motor tonight... However upon doing so I see a few issues.

Firstly, several of the bolt holes do not line up. I currently have it being held on with three.. the two bottom ones that come out of the block and one at the top right (staring at the back of the motor). I might can get a small one in through the lower middle right, but I don't order a bolt for that. I skimmed through both Tom and Hucks (heh) guides but I didnt see any mention of this issue.

The two bolts that go through the starter are also giving me issues. The bottom of the two has no hole on the SVX block, so I cannot get a bolt in there. The top one that has a hole through the block wont work with either bolt I have, but the main issue is the bottom one. Am I the only one having this problem? Or what did you do to solve this?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed swap issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
Hey guys. I finally got my 2005 Saab 9-2X transmission bolted to the motor tonight... However upon doing so I see a few issues.

Firstly, several of the bolt holes do not line up. I currently have it being held on with three.. the two bottom ones that come out of the block and one at the top right (staring at the back of the motor). I might can get a small one in through the lower middle right, but I don't order a bolt for that. I skimmed through both Tom and Hucks (heh) guides but I didnt see any mention of this issue.

The two bolts that go through the starter are also giving me issues. The bottom of the two has no hole on the SVX block, so I cannot get a bolt in there. The top one that has a hole through the block wont work with either bolt I have, but the main issue is the bottom one. Am I the only one having this problem? Or what did you do to solve this?
^What?

and one word, helicoil... it's been gone over plenty of times with the newer 5/6MT's
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM

Yeah, I see that now. My issue is my car came with neither an automatic nor manual trans so items like the stud theyre talking about you remove from the auto... I ain't gots it.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The alignment dowels (9 and 3 o'clock)? They're pretty important. Probably got left in the old trans. I'm sure someone could hammer some out of something but I'm sure you could also get some from subaru.

The upper bolt for the starter should go through the starter, then trans, then thread into the block. I think you'll need a longer bolt than what was in the auto. The other one you'll need a helicoil kit for. I don't know where to source one as my swap came with that bit. That will total 2 bolts for the transmission to engine on the top, 2 studs with nuts for the bottom and another shorter one for the starter.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

And the EG33 (and older EJ stuff) only use 4 bell housing bolts, the newer stuff has more, but has 4 in the correct position for the EG33, but you do need the 2 dowel pins in either the motor or the transmission.

Will need the manual tranny starter also.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM

Thanks guys. I guess seeing what either transmission looked like complete would have been really helpful

I for sure have the dowel pin on the drivers side of the engine, but its possible I don't on the other... That could be what goes in that place I thought a really small bolt would go through on the opposite side.

The car came with a starter sitting in the trunk, I can only assume its an 02 WRX but I suppose it's possible it could be the SVX one.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Rather than use a helicoil I tap the aluminun for a new bolt.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link