Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Amp mount options...under the seat?

I'm looking to upgrade the sound system in the SVX - all of my speakers are trashed. So I'm putting all new ones in, but I'd like to amplify them rather than run off of deck power. I'm not looking at getting a subwoofer for this car.

But, I'm having trouble figuring out where to put the amp. I don't want to mount it in the trunk, because I use it often and feel like an amp mounted in there would greatly cut down on the available space. I like having the folded down rear seats available in case I want to carry extra stuff on top of them, so I don't want to put it there either.

With that said - has anyone successfully fit a smallish amp under the passenger seat? Seems like an amp could be fit there without too much trouble, but I don't know - never mounted an amp under the seat before.

For those who run amplified sound systems - where did you put the amp?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: Amp mount options...under the seat?

I put my amp on the back of the rear seat on the driver's side so I can still put long stuff in the trunk.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Mine are both mounted to the trunk. If you take out the passenger side tray im sure you'll be able to fit a small amp underneath.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-28-2009, 11:31 PM

I figured most people mounted their amps in the trunk / rear seats someplace. I'm considering that as a last resort, but really do want to make the seat thing work if I can do it safely and neatly.

I measured the distance between the seat rails at 15" exactly, and I think there's somewhere between 2 - 3" of clearance under the seat (with nobody in it, of course). Don't know how much that'll change when someone's sitting there though. Will have to look into that more.

As far as front to back room - I think there's some sort of large structural support running between the frame rails under the seat that might screw me up. I have to look more closely at it tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

The one thing that is going to be bad for your amp is that under the seat it will be creating a lot of heat which is bad for the amp.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

I mounted a small (50w/chX2) amp in my '93 vertically on the drivers side rear side trunk panel. Ran hi level ins for only the rear speakers, with all wiring hidden, using short bolts and washers to mount it. Two days later the car was totaled. The amp stayed in place through the crash impact. This location cost me basically no trunk-space. I agree that under-seat mounting may give you cooling problems, especially with the type of "stuff" that collects on car floors and under seats.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

The SVX is unfortunately not very amp friendly. I think it should stay relatively cool underneath the seat because it's still going to have airflow on the all 4 sides of the amp.

I'm starting a new build soon and hopefully will find a new place to mount everything.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
The one thing that is going to be bad for your amp is that under the seat it will be creating a lot of heat which is bad for the amp.
Yeah, that's the main concern. I'm not going to be driving the amp real hard - it'll be running two sets of speakers at a 4 ohm load (no subs or anything) and won't be played full volume 24/7 so I'm hoping it'll stay cool based on that. Worst case scenario, it dies and I have to pursue other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
I mounted a small (50w/chX2) amp in my '93 vertically on the drivers side rear side trunk panel. Ran hi level ins for only the rear speakers, with all wiring hidden, using short bolts and washers to mount it. Two days later the car was totaled. The amp stayed in place through the crash impact. This location cost me basically no trunk-space. I agree that under-seat mounting may give you cooling problems, especially with the type of "stuff" that collects on car floors and under seats.

Glenn
That's not a bad idea...I might consider doing something like that, provided I can find a good place to mount it. Do you have any pics of your installation? Was your amp mounted on the panel only, or to the metal behind it? Nearer the back, or more towards the rear seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The SVX is unfortunately not very amp friendly. I think it should stay relatively cool underneath the seat because it's still going to have airflow on the all 4 sides of the amp.

I'm starting a new build soon and hopefully will find a new place to mount everything.
I checked, there is a big bar running between the seat rails maybe 11" - 12" back from the end of the rail. Pretty much any amp I mount there is going to start to cut into rear passengers' footwell - I figure 10" of depth in that dimension is about the highest I want to go (less is better). What I might do is put an amp there temporarily (like with velcro tape or something) and test fit it to see if the heat is a problem or not...if so, I'll look into other options.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
That's not a bad idea...I might consider doing something like that, provided I can find a good place to mount it. Do you have any pics of your installation? Was your amp mounted on the panel only, or to the metal behind it? Nearer the back, or more towards the rear seats?
Sorry, but no pics were taken. The amp fit in the hollow at the rear of the trunk space, just below the panel for tail-light access. The plastic panel supported it adequately when secured at all 4 points. The amp was a Sony 2502x iirc and measured 8" X 11". I was pleased and surprised to lose no space in the trunk!! Much better than my current Diamond 4chan laying on the trunk floor, soon to be secured to back of pass rear seat. It's a challenge to make space in a car that you pretty much "wear", rather than sit in.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

After removing both seats I feel a small amp could fit with no problem underneath the passenger seat. The only issue I see is running wires. The passenger side has a computer underneath it I believe(can't remember what it is atm). I need to mount my amp on the side wall but I'm lazy.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 AM

you said you are not trying to put in a sub...

when i put in an amp i had it hooked onto the sub box...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Registered SVX

I know you said you didn't want to use the seat back, but if you do decide to break down and do that, possibly on the small side so you can still use the large side for long items, there is a method I would recommend. Go to a hardware store (I got mine from Lowes) and pick up a pack of screws with plastic anchors. Mark your holes and drill them out to the recommended size, insert the plastic anchors, screw your amp down. I used this method in my Saturn and it was rock solid. I was hit very hard in this car (totaled the car) and the amp was still mounted as solid as when I first mounted it.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket View Post
Sorry, but no pics were taken. The amp fit in the hollow at the rear of the trunk space, just below the panel for tail-light access. The plastic panel supported it adequately when secured at all 4 points. The amp was a Sony 2502x iirc and measured 8" X 11". I was pleased and surprised to lose no space in the trunk!! Much better than my current Diamond 4chan laying on the trunk floor, soon to be secured to back of pass rear seat. It's a challenge to make space in a car that you pretty much "wear", rather than sit in.

Glenn
I checked it out, I see the space you're talking about...but the plastic panels for my trunk have seen better days None of them really fit together right anymore...I think the weight of the amp on it may cause it to sag. I might look into this regardless once I have the amp here and can test-fit it in spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
After removing both seats I feel a small amp could fit with no problem underneath the passenger seat. The only issue I see is running wires. The passenger side has a computer underneath it I believe(can't remember what it is atm). I need to mount my amp on the side wall but I'm lazy.
I'm not sure how the wiring part will play out either. I'm only looking at amplifiers that have ALL wiring connections on one side, for simplicity. I'll know more once I'm able to look at it more closely. I'd be interested to know what computer / module is under there, if you ever figured it out...I guess I'll find out once I start taking stuff apart to get this in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellibomb View Post
you said you are not trying to put in a sub...

when i put in an amp i had it hooked onto the sub box...
I've done this before too...makes for a nice easy installation, no permanent car modification required. The only problem is, this also makes it easy for thieves...although the only way they'd see it is if they actually saw in your trunk. But yeah, trying to go sub-free in this car for now (may change my mind later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughSilver92 View Post
I know you said you didn't want to use the seat back, but if you do decide to break down and do that, possibly on the small side so you can still use the large side for long items, there is a method I would recommend. Go to a hardware store (I got mine from Lowes) and pick up a pack of screws with plastic anchors. Mark your holes and drill them out to the recommended size, insert the plastic anchors, screw your amp down. I used this method in my Saturn and it was rock solid. I was hit very hard in this car (totaled the car) and the amp was still mounted as solid as when I first mounted it.
That's a great idea, hadn't thought to use those. Will keep in mind if I do end up using the seat back.

Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming I'll be sure to update with pics and stuff once (if) I get this done they way I'm imagining it.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 PM

****UPDATE:
Cliffs: No good. Don't waste your time attempting this.

Long version: So I finally did some work on this over the weekend. I started by taking the lower rear seat and the passenger seat out, and pulling the carpet up. I found a ton of what looked like birdseed?? under the corners of the rear seat cushion, along with some crusty stuff that looked like dried up dirt / mud , a small fortune in old, dirty change that had fallen down and gotten stuck under the passenger seat over the years, and a little pin for some really obscure band I've never heard of. I was sort of hoping I'd find some better loot

Anyways...I didn't want to drill through the floorpan for any reason, so I made a pair of crude brackets out of 22 gauge sheet steel that would allow me to bolt the amp down securely, yet not have to drill through the floor. These brackets were held with lag screws to the bar running underneath the seat. 4mm studs were placed in the appropriate locations for them to extend up through the carpet and the mounting points on the amplifier, which was held to the studs with hex nuts. Holes were also drilled in the brackets for the rear seat bolts to pass through. They were ugly, but functional, and they held the amp really well, so I was happy with them.

The amp fit perfectly between the seat rails, sat very securely and solidly on the brackets, and looked like it was going to work. That is, until I put the seat back in. The bottom of the seat scraped along the top plate of the amp, and also dragged on the sides of the heatsink - and that was without anyone in it. With someone sitting in the seat - forget it.

This space may be suitable for mounting some sort of very thin component (like an active equalizer, or component speaker x-overs maybe) but will not work for an amp. The one I test fit was 2 1/8" thick, and didn't even come close to having the required amount of clearance - I very much doubt that an amp is produced that will be thin enough to go here. Too bad, it would have been perfect.

Now, I have to figure out where to put this thing in my trunk. Really didn't want to put it there, but I don't really have much choice I guess. Anyways, just wanted to update in case anyone was interested.

**EDIT: And yes, the ABS computer and associated wiring is the only component under there (at least in mine). It's a rather large, thick box that is held with 2 10 mm screws to the bar running under the seat and the raised bump that the right rear seat bolt goes into, mounted on the far right side. There was also a mysterious threaded nut welded to the floorpan near the center console area that went straight through to the outside. This was obviously factory installed, but I have no idea what it is for - in my car, there was nothing occupying it.

Last edited by Black88GTA; 04-13-2009 at 09:32 PM.