Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop

Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 PM

retracting P.S.Idler pully

Following the Power Steering Pump Repair "How To" but the Idler Pully does not retract when I turned "clockwise" on the bolt. The bolt retracted 3/4 inch but the pully did not retract or take tension off the belt. Now what ?
Cut the belt and hope to replace it when I free the pulley ? or remove the entire idler Pully Bracket [ugly]?Other options,Thanks,Bob
Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E Cooley View Post
Following the Power Steering Pump Repair "How To" but the Idler Pully does not retract when I turned "clockwise" on the bolt. The bolt retracted 3/4 inch but the pully did not retract or take tension off the belt. Now what ?
Cut the belt and hope to replace it when I free the pulley ? or remove the entire idler Pully Bracket [ugly]?Other options,Thanks,Bob
In this part of the world, it is standard practice to replace the complete idler assembly when changing the cam belt, as a cost effective precaution.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
the ps pulley is tensed by the idler pulley as you know. To remove the belt,
1st loosen the lock nut on the actual pulley, then by turning the adjuster screw you can either tighten or loosen the belt tension as desired...
Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the tip about loosening the Idler pulley nut,that was not in the "How TO" document and it was my first time at that, worked fine after. The "How TO "also does not indicate that you need a bearing puller to get the bearing out of the Steering pump body. All back together now and it works great.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
glad it worked out for you, I made the same mistake when I first attempted the same project as you...always good to seek advice from the board before you start tinkering if you are unsure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: