How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

1992 Pearl White SVX LS-L: The saga

Always wanted one; now l got one. Very good shape overall. 103,600 miles. Used to flare a bit from 2nd to 3rd, but adjusted the tranny band a bit and it doesn't do it anymore, just lags a bit in the shifting. So, I perform the following:

1) Changed differential oils (front and back). Use Valvoline 75W90 + LUCAS oil stabilizer.

2) Changed the tranny fluid with Valvoline Dexron III and added LUCAS Transmission Fix just as precventive maintenance. Changed internal tranny filter with WIX filter.

3) Replaced the external OEM tranny filter with Perma-Cool filter; need to wire up temp gauge.

4) Got Perma-Cool tranny cooler w/ fan and will install soon. Not driving the SVX until done.

So, am I happy? Not really - I just discovered a fuel leak that seems to becoming from the top of the fuel tank on the drivers side...I can't believe it. I was so eager to get her on the road full time and this happens....I am sooooo dissapointed. Any recommendations, experiences on changing fuel lines/fuel tanks are desperately welcome. Thanks for hearing me out.
'05 Subaru Impreza STi, '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, '01 Toyota Celica GT, '98 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 Sedan, '96 Isuzu Rodeo, '95 Jeep Cherokee 2WD, '94 Plymouth Sundance, '94 Subaru SVX LSi, '93 Subaru Impreza, '92 Subaru SVX LS-L, 2003 Subaru Baja.

Last edited by seion; 07-24-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

OK, the girl is up on jacks at the back (5 ton ones, hehe). Fuel leak seems to come from the lines that attach to the fuel sending unit. Will not know until I drop the tank. Didn't have the leak until I added LUCAS fuel treatment. Seems additives find a way to expose a rusted fuel line/hose that will eventually fail - horrible way to test for them.

As it stands now, this is what I will have to do:
  1. Disconnect the battery
  2. Syphon the fuel out
  3. Disconnect power cable to the fuel sending unit
  4. Take exhaust pipe and muffler out
  5. Take out the heat shield
  6. Disconnect the filler pipe from the tank
  7. Disconnect the filler pipe air vent hose
  8. Take the straps that hold the tank in place
  9. Disconnect fuel hoses that are next to the rear wheel on driver's side
  10. Drop the tank
  11. Don't pass out from the smell of gasoline (will use a fan to blow fumes away from working area)

I will keep updating this saga with new events as they happen.

Wish me luck.
'05 Subaru Impreza STi, '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, '01 Toyota Celica GT, '98 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 Sedan, '96 Isuzu Rodeo, '95 Jeep Cherokee 2WD, '94 Plymouth Sundance, '94 Subaru SVX LSi, '93 Subaru Impreza, '92 Subaru SVX LS-L, 2003 Subaru Baja.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Locker Link Solution

how about a new number 6?

I've never removed the tank from an assembled SVX, but isn't the driveshaft in the way too!

Anyway, good luck!! Hope you're cruisin soon!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix
I've never removed the tank from an assembled SVX, but isn't the driveshaft in the way too!

Anyway, good luck!! Hope you're cruisin soon!
Yep, it is, and that's when I said in a very solemn tone: "Ph0ck me...". Rear diff, axles, hubs have to come out. It went from bad to worse. I don't think I will be able to get to the gas tank...this really bites .
Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by seion
Yep, it is, and that's when I said in a very solemn tone: "Ph0ck me...". Rear diff, axles, hubs have to come out. It went from bad to worse. I don't think I will be able to get to the gas tank...this really bites .
Have you looked at the sender unit, through the hole under the back seat, to see if you can fix it from there?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Have you looked at the sender unit, through the hole under the back seat, to see if you can fix it from there?

Harvey.
I will check today, but my fear is that I need to replace the metal pipes that flow downwards from the top of the sending unit.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

Update

Well, the new fuel lines are in with several coats of undercoat rubber . Everything is back on and the vex is running again, now without fuel leak (YEAH!). Now is time to get back to the tranny cooler install.....

Thanks to all of you who advised on how to take the tank off - domo arigato!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Update. PermaCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seion
Well, the new fuel lines are in with several coats of undercoat rubber . Everything is back on and the vex is running again, now without fuel leak (YEAH!). Now is time to get back to the tranny cooler install.....

Thanks to all of you who advised on how to take the tank off - domo arigato!
I need a vender for the PermaCool.

Can you hook me up?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Subaru Engineer Wanabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX
I need a vender for the PermaCool.

Can you hook me up?
www.jegs.com