SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: Have you ruined a set of performance tires?
Yes 12 60.00%
No 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Based on this thread, I went out and changed my tire pressures to 40/36 today after completing my monthly oil change. Handling does feel better, and the higher tire pressures will actually improve my gas mileage slightly...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-11-2004, 06:57 PM
SVX Appeal

There are general rules for tire pressure for a specific application. A good tire shop will know. The general rules however, are just that: General. The only way to find the ideal pressure is to experiment. This isn't hard, but it's something most people won't find the time to do.

There are different pressures for different applications. For drag racing, lower pressures are sometimes better, but this isn't always true, especially on low-profile tires. For top speed, higher pressures are better. For best cornering, and tread life, moderate pressures are best.

The tread life test can be done in two ways. The best way is to carefully monitor the tread over time to see which part wears out first. If it's the outside, the pressure is too low. If it's the inside, the pressure is too high.

The other test is a footprint test. This is usually done with a special machine, but you can use carbon paper or thin sheets of Styrofoam, or even both simultaneously. You simply drive over the test material. This test just shows how much pressure each part of the tread exerts on the road surface. If you use carbon paper, the dark spots exert the most pressure. If you use Styrofoam, the most deformed parts exert the most pressure. If the pressure is to the outside, inflate the tires - and vice versa. (The texture of the surface you set the carbon paper on will affect the results.)

The cornering traction test is done simply by measuring how well the car can corner. You can use an instrument to measure lateral G-forces, measure the fastest speed through a corner, measure the smallest radius you can achieve at a particular speed, or simply measure track times on an especially twisty course.

Usually the ideal pressure for cornering traction will be very similar to the ideal tread wear pressure, but slightly higher. This is because when you corner, the weight shifts to one side of the car. Since a very large percentage of the traction is on that one side alone, the excessive pressure on the unladen side is trivial to the inadequate pressure on the loaded side, which makes up the majority of the traction. To combat this, the overall pressure is increased so the laden [important] side is at it's optimum. The consequence is that when driving straight, all the tires are overinflated. This is fine, if not good, for racing purposes, but for daily driving, it leads to poor tire wear patterns.

Overinflation in general is preferable to underinflation. Economy will be better. The propensity for overheating and sidewall damage is reduced. Excessive wear in the center of the tread is less likely to cause hydroplaning than wear on the outside. Handling will be better. Tire balance will remain good, and wear should be relatively even about the circumference. Underinflation adversely affects all these things.

In all cases, the ideal pressure vary between sizes of tires, the vehicle weight and weight distribution, the manufacturer and model of tire, and even between each tire on the car.

For the rough numbers, call a few tire shops and ask.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
So what pressure would you guys recommend for 225/40/18's?
Old 09-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
So what pressure would you guys recommend for 225/40/18's?
I'd be running at least 45psi on 40 series tires - to prevent damaging a sidewall or rim if for nothing else.

When I was looking for where to begin with my +1's I went to nasioc.com's tire forum and poked around - the autocross guys know their tire pressures well.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Re: ???

Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
33/29
37/33
40/36
45/42:

...what's the reason (or the physics) behind running the rears @ 10% lower pressure than fronts? and does this logic apply equally for fwd vs. awd variants? (ok, you engineers; here's your chance)
I'll take a stab at this. It's got lots of reasons behind it, but the most simple has to do with the weight distribution of the car. The SVX is 59%front, 41% rear if I'm not mistaken. That means that 59% of the vehicle weight is on the front tires, but only 41% of the weight is on the rear tires. The area of the tire contact patch equals the weight on the tire divided by the tire pressure. The front tires have more weight on them, so their contact patch will be larger if they are inflated the same as the rear tires. The end result of this larger front contact patch is increased wear on the front tires, and a higher rolling resistance at the front tires. Basically, the tire wears out faster, and the engine has to work harder to overcome the friction between the tire and the road. By bumping up the pressure in the front tire, the contact patch is reduced, tire wear is reduced, and rolling resistance is reduced.

A very surface level explanation that isn't even 100% true just because of the very very complex dynamics (that I sure as hell don't understand) behind tire performance.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-12-2004, 04:48 PM
SVX Appeal

Re: Re: ???

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
...because of the very very complex dynamics behind tire performance.
The reason high pressure is useful for maximum traction while cornering is also useful for front / rear weight distribution. Since we are not traction-limited in acceleration (except for the FWD folks) braking ability is the factor to focus upon. Higher pressures up front are important for this because so much weight shifts forwards under braking.

Just because the weight distribution is distributed 59 / 41 doesn't necessarily mean tire pressure should be balanced the same. The argument above for [relatively] higher front pressure is countered by the fact that low pressure in the rear tires can lead to stability problems, so the rear also should have plenty of air. Again, back to the "overinflation is better than underinflation" viewpoint. All four corners are better off that way.

We could get into motorcycle tires if we wanted to get really complicated. I know their dynamics are far more complicated and varied between designs. My understanding is far less keen in that school - as is the understanding of their designers too sometimes.