Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-17-2003, 01:22 PM
CARLiTO_

Question Need opinion on which is the best tranny cooler here..

I decided to install a tranny cooler but i need opinions on which is the best one here..and also what size do i get for the svx?

1) B&M Racing Super Cooler Transmission Cooler

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rchtype%3Decat

2) Moroso Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler/Filter

3) TCI Performance Transmission Cooler

Last edited by CARLiTO_; 03-17-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Best Cooler

When I got mine I did a lot of research and went with a B&M 19,000gvw cooler. Can't remember the number off hand but it was a step up from the 16,000 but had the same thinkness so it fit in between my rad and a/c condensor. I read in a racing mag that B&Ms use a system in which if one "bar" is clogged it will still function around it. I also put everything parallel to the stock cooler so that if that becomes clogged the system will still cool. Kinda like x-mas lights. You can get ones that all of them go out if one bulb is burnt out or that just the bulb one goes out. My thoughts after about a year or so with it in typical PA driving. In the summer it'll heat up fast and stay around 190-210. Rarely does it go above that but a couple of times I shut it off to let it cool down for a while. In the winter, I'd say I'm boarderline as far as too much cooling. It'll only heat up to about 130-135 on a normal winter day unless I spend a lot of time in traffic. Also it takes 15-20 minutes to get up there. If I did it over again I'd definately look into setting up a switch or maybe a thermostat set up in it that'll shut off the cooler. Other option is cardboard! I also installed a Nors. tranny temp gauge in my pan at the same time so my numbers come from that. Oh yeah, on hot days I shy away from hard driving too! Do a search of the network and you'll find plenty of info on coolers. Not being involved in motorsports too much I look at it this way. B&M is a familiar name the others aren't to most people. Does that B&M is better. Probably not but then again it seems popular, its easy to get onto a SVX and many others have done it. Good luck and do it before summer!
Old 03-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

1. Everybody I've heard from says stacked plate is the way to go.

2. That B&M racing cooler is 1.5 inches thick - you may have trouble finding a place for it.

3. The Moroso cooler/filter sounds like a neat idea (can't beat more cooling AND more filtering), but it looks kinda small for this application and, at 3 inches in diameter, may be hard to find a place for.

4. TCI - never heard of 'em, but that means exactly squat.
2001 Outback Sport