Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-14-2004, 05:18 PM

Tone wheel failure

A couple weeks ago my brother took his SVX in to the local dealer to get the rear wheel bearings replaced. Two days and a bit of drama later (he'd bought the bearings online and they tried to charge over $800 in just labor), he picked up his car and drove home.

The next morning, while driving to work, he heard a bang and metal crunching, and the left rear wheel locked up. The total distance driven since getting the car fixed was maybe 25 miles. He had the car towed back to the dealer, and the next day he and I went down to the dealer to see what went wrong.

When the tech that had previously worked on the car put it up on the lift and removed the wheel and loosened the rotor, chuncks of metal fell out. Upon removing the rotor, everything inside the hub was chewed up and destroyed:

The tech said the tone wheel had come apart and shredded everything, and he said it was probably his fault since he was rushed and probably forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the tone wheel in place. He also said that the dealer would pay for the repairs, which included replacing the entire hub, a new wheel bearing, the parking brake assembly, ABS sensors, and of course a new tone wheel.

A week and a half later (today), my brother got a call from the service manager and was told that there wasn't enough proof that the tone wheel failure was their fault, and that the dealer would only cover 50% of the repairs!

So, my question is: Has any one had a tone wheel just fail? From what I've seen on the board, the only broken tone wheels have been the result of over tightening and the failure has occured while the work was being done. The service manager is claiming that the tone wheel is a brittle part and that failures are common.

Second, assuming that the service manager is a piece of lying dishonest scum, what can we do? This isn't the first problem we've had there (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ht=timing+belt), but I thought things had gotten better when I was working there late last year. Apparently though things have gotten much worse in the past month since this new service manager was hired.

92 SVX - Sold
98 BMW M3 Sedan
89 Honda CRX Si w/B16 swap
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 04-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Superbeast

I'm pretty sure the "Service Managers" job is to lie as much as possible to save the shop as much money as he can. The tech probly remembered not screwing up the tone wheel part and was being honest. (He probly also got his ass chewed by the S.M. for it) I have never heard of a tone wheel desintigrating on any car. I've seen them crack on some cars but never seen a Subaru style fail on their own. They can be cracked while changing the wheel bearing if you not carefull, but even then they ussually don't fall apart as long as they'er bolted down tight. The tech probly did forget to tighen the bolts holding the ring and that what happend. I think it's good that the tech came clean with you, but once the S.M. found out thats when the problems start.

Besides, you have to take everything off the hub to change the bearing so if there was a part about to fail the tech should have seen it. And if the tone wheel was bad the tech should have seen it. Bottom line is: they were just in there takeing apart and putting together everything in that wheel, they are responsible.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:58 PM

I've never heard of one letting go in that manner from anyone I know, or that they knew, and told me about. Since I'm considered the car geek at work, I get all the "weird things happening to a car" stories.

Here's a short paragraph on assembly:
Reverse procedures to install, noting the following: Place a feeler gauge between speed sensors pole piece and tone wheels tooth face, adjust clearance on SVX models to .020-.039 inch. After clearance is obtained tighten speed sensor to backing plate.

From the looks of the one pic, the tone wheel beat the speed sensor pretty good before disintegrating. That implies improper fastening. That's something the shop my Dad used to own would have stood behind. If they won't fix it for free, then first I'd ask for the regional service manager to take a look. If that can't be accomplished in a timely fashion, then I'd pay for an independent mechanic to come take a look and render an opinion in front of the SM...then have it towed somewhere you trust, get lots of pics and go to court.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'm not terribly surprised they're now trying to get you to pay for the parts - they've since found out how expensive they are. It sounds to me like they're just shaking you down. Remain calm, explain to them that you're unwilling to pay the 50% they're asking for the following reasons:

1. Those parts were working fine before the shop worked on the car.

2. Tone wheels almost never fail on their own.

3. The tech admitted to you that it was his fault.

Open and shut case, in my opinion. I think if you remain calm and stand firm, they'll back down. I also think that the SM is just feeling you out. Some people will just say, 'oh, okay then.'

If they won't stand by what they originally told you, then it's time to start calling other people.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-15-2004, 02:51 AM
Jedi Member

I had some pieces of my tone wheel break off as I was tightening the lugs after a brake pad replacement job... weirdest thing. Probably hit it with the calipers or something.

Anyway, that thing's on there pretty solid. I can't see how it could break off itself unless it was installed wrong. Stand your ground with this shop.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 04-15-2004, 04:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Go see a lawyer.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:26 PM

Exclamation Re: Tone wheel failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoden View Post
A couple weeks ago my brother took his SVX in to the local dealer to get the rear wheel bearings replaced. Two days and a bit of drama later (he'd bought the bearings online and they tried to charge over $800 in just labor), he picked up his car and drove home.

The next morning, while driving to work, he heard a bang and metal crunching, and the left rear wheel locked up. The total distance driven since getting the car fixed was maybe 25 miles. He had the car towed back to the dealer, and the next day he and I went down to the dealer to see what went wrong.

When the tech that had previously worked on the car put it up on the lift and removed the wheel and loosened the rotor, chuncks of metal fell out. Upon removing the rotor, everything inside the hub was chewed up and destroyed:

The tech said the tone wheel had come apart and shredded everything, and he said it was probably his fault since he was rushed and probably forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the tone wheel in place. He also said that the dealer would pay for the repairs, which included replacing the entire hub, a new wheel bearing, the parking brake assembly, ABS sensors, and of course a new tone wheel.

A week and a half later (today), my brother got a call from the service manager and was told that there wasn't enough proof that the tone wheel failure was their fault, and that the dealer would only cover 50% of the repairs!

So, my question is: Has any one had a tone wheel just fail? From what I've seen on the board, the only broken tone wheels have been the result of over tightening and the failure has occured while the work was being done. The service manager is claiming that the tone wheel is a brittle part and that failures are common.

Second, assuming that the service manager is a piece of lying dishonest scum, what can we do? This isn't the first problem we've had there (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ht=timing+belt), but I thought things had gotten better when I was working there late last year. Apparently though things have gotten much worse in the past month since this new service manager was hired.
WOW! I never knew about the toner wheel existed on the SVX until just yesterday...and I'm fairly knowledgeable about the SVXs sensitive workings. 🤔

Once I had Less Schwab do work on replacing tire stems (a decade ago) and when they put the tires back on they were severely overtightened with their impact wrench.
I drove it for a day after they put the tires back on and it steered HARD left and right and took some engine power to move.
Like, wow, that's a liability waiting to happen.
Thank goodness I have my own torque wrench, I checked the torque after driving it and it was at 200 P.S.I. In the Hanes booklet it says not to torque over 75 P.S.I. from what I can remember..it's been awhile so I may be off some.
Amazing my toner wheel wasn't damaged????

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 01-07-2019 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling