Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: tailight mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484 View Post
Jonny and Freeman, you 2 arn't the only ones wanting to see this thread continue. I am Subscribed and Will be looking into a few Solutions to this myself.

I know enough with Electronics to be able to make my own if need-be, but I would rather find Rectangular ones that fit without mods (other then mounting them)

Keep this thread going!
I also would like to see this happen. I may not do it for awhile but hopefully will have it done before too long.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Registered SVX

I, too, would like to see the round LEDs. The rectangular ones look good and all, but they kind of look like something from the 90's (which fits the car I suppose). In my mind I think a round cluster would look more modern. Just have to wait and see.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 AM

Registered SVX

I've been following this post as well and I have a couple of ideas that I'm working on.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

glad to see more of us are out there still trying stuff. anyone hear from mohrds lately? I'd love to get in contact with him about his lights.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
glad to see more of us are out there still trying stuff. anyone hear from mohrds lately? I'd love to get in contact with him about his lights.
if you look at his profile, he hasn't been on here in almost a year....
Old 03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
if you look at his profile, he hasn't been on here in almost a year....
Tear.... well... hmmmm....
Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I daily drive a Spyder right now and this is something somone did on Spyder Chat a while back, maybe it will help some of you in your quests =)

He said this about them too =

I'm running this through a PMW/Regulator so it regulate the voltate to dim the lights for driving lights. That is pretty much how bright it will look with breaking lights.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:42 AM

Registered SVX

This one i mean.

This have look so good togther whit the spoiler i have innstall on the car.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

There's a local guy that I just came across that just got an RS and posted on RS25.com that's apparently local to me. Anywho he does this for a living self emplied apperently doing this regularly for NSX's and a few other models. Should i send him a message and ask about people's interests and prices and all?
-Gaddis
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 PM

Registered SVX

I like the tail light. But are this just somthing you innstall self in the taillight.
What is the price for this?

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

interesting couldnt hurt to see i dunno i almost think it is one of those things price is more than likely way more than doin it yourself, maybe ask him a recomendation of where to get lights the lights and what size
Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post

that = the sex

very nice. but im curious how those LEDs are mounted together. looks like basically the cover of one of those cheap plastic binders, with holes in it to hold all the LEDs in place, and then just glued onto the lights

im thinking a similar thing for the rears. some sort of slightly maleable plastic, with drilled holes in a given pattern (this is where imagination plays a part) and then mounted into the assembly.
the key would be to figure out how to make it as big as possible, to use all the space available inside of the assembly
not to mention having to figure out how to sync it with the lights in the assembly of the trunk door, to make sure theyre aligned and look good
on that maroon svx, they seem a bit off, but the owner of the white one took care to line them up

IMO, the svx pics from above look okay... but the fact the red cover lens is like, more than twice the size of the illuminated area kills the sexyness of the overall look.
something to be explored
Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

hey guys, I just wanted to throw an Idea out there and see if anyone has any input on how to make a module to do something like this.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bcd6y8

this video of the leds in the waterfall grill, but my idea is to convert the brake and park lights to rectangular leds like mohrds did, and then to get a module to get the turn signals to go inside to outside like the led's in this video when they are turned on.

feel free to add any insight.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
that = the sex

very nice. but im curious how those LEDs are mounted together. looks like basically the cover of one of those cheap plastic binders, with holes in it to hold all the LEDs in place, and then just glued onto the lights

im thinking a similar thing for the rears. some sort of slightly maleable plastic, with drilled holes in a given pattern (this is where imagination plays a part) and then mounted into the assembly.
the key would be to figure out how to make it as big as possible, to use all the space available inside of the assembly
not to mention having to figure out how to sync it with the lights in the assembly of the trunk door, to make sure theyre aligned and look good
on that maroon svx, they seem a bit off, but the owner of the white one took care to line them up

IMO, the svx pics from above look okay... but the fact the red cover lens is like, more than twice the size of the illuminated area kills the sexyness of the overall look.
something to be explored
Agreed on all accounts. LOVE the look of that Spyder's rear, at least in the pictures. I'd love to hear more about his process. It does look like plastic binder material covering the void in between the light strips (would love to see a "before" picture, I assume it is covering reflective concave areas where the old stock blubs went). But the LED strips themselves look like they are on something else, maybe some pre-manufactured strips similar to the link earlier in this thread. Also note that he mentions rigging up a regulator so that they have 2-stage brightness (driving lights/brake lights). Anyone working with custom LED's (as opposed to the sealed pre-built trailer-type brake lights) will have to figure this out as well. Probably not hard, but would be some good knowledge to share.

I agree though, anything custom on the SVX should be done with great care and attention paid to the little details like making sure they line up straight and also that they look "right" on the car. One of the tricks will be making sure the light configuration looks like it belongs there - a modern "upgrade", but still matching the lines of the car, the size of the stock housing, etc. Like you said, the SVX ones a couple post up not only are a little crooked, they are too skinny. If the car had come with LED lights that narrow, they would have just designed the entire housing that narrow (which is interesting to think about, but would probably make the rear end look even more boxy than it does).

Keep the brainstorming coming, I'm watching with interest!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
There's a local guy that I just came across that just got an RS and posted on RS25.com that's apparently local to me. Anywho he does this for a living self emplied apperently doing this regularly for NSX's and a few other models. Should i send him a message and ask about people's interests and prices and all?
-Gaddis
I'd be very interested to see what this looks like on a NSX. The NSX and SVX have very similar tail light assemblies and overall rear end look to them and of course are of the same vintage.

I'd love to hear how it does it, where he gets his parts, etc, but a lot of that may be trade secret if he's trying to get business. And like Johnny said, prices have got to be high to have someone else do this for you.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...