Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2001, 11:11 AM
lightning_8669

but boods are food?)

My folks had a cat that would eat squirrels. About 2 a week for a decade. It took quite a while for the population to come back in the neighborhood after his passing. He would eat the whole things. Everything but the tails (no meat on a squirrel tail?), including the fur, bones, feet, faces, the *whole* thing. Then he'd sleep for a day.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Hand-out

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
<<None of you guys know my wife right...right? >>

Joe, if we ever meet I'll try to remember not to shake your hand if there are any pretty girls around.
Not if we meet, when. And if there are pretty girls around, I probably won't see you anyway.

You think I can high five at my age??

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-25-2001, 05:34 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: If you knew my wife you'd be amazed

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

My wife is German/Irish. Now would you care to swap stories on how loud and vocal they can be
German/Polish, German/Irish.

Do I detect a common thread here? My wife is 100% Irish, but she seems to have picked up a lot of these German and Polish traits also. "Talk" sessions such as you mention are issues that need thrashing out, and should not be avoided.

I had to ask my missus not to start a "talk" session in the bed or bedroom, it was causing me to have apoplexy. I discovered in a psychology book it is one of womens' favourite devices. They pin you down on an issue when you are not likely to easily get away, i.e. when your pants are off. They probably do it by instinct rather than premeditated.

Once I would forgive, but repeat doses I felt was treachery of the worst kind. The bedroom for me is the venue for two of life's pleasures, sleep being one of them. Issues can be hammered out in the kitchen or living area, I am not the running scared type.

Anyway if you get that hemmed in and impending doom feeling, be alert, they are pressing your buttons because you are not responding in the required fashion. And a good woman is worthy of a good response.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-25-2001, 06:45 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Man! And I thought I was the only one who had to suffer through this stuff. My wife had a hey-day when my knee was busted. I was pretty much immobile (I guess that's why they call that silly thing they put on my leg an "immobilizer"). She even had to drive me places. She got a lot of "talk sessions" in. She was really taking advantage of the situation.

The trouble is, my wife doesn't get straight to the point. A "conversation" would go something like this: "You know the Mortons? They're the ones with the little girl with red curly hair that looks so cute, and the little boy with blonde hair that looks like something out of a cheerios commercial . . . and they have that little dog that kinda looks like a wet rat, but it's so ugly it's cute . . . and Sheila got so mad at it one time, because it dug up the flowers she had just planted . . . they were geraniums . . . you know, those beautiful bright red geraniums, I think they call them "lipstick" geraniums. Oh, that reminds me, I need some new lipstick. I left my other in my purse, in the car and it melted. I opened the tube and it practically ran out. But I didn't get any on my purse . . . this time . . . but, I still need to replace that last purse that that happened to. I saw some nice purses on sale at Wal-Mart. I'll have to stop by and pick one out. Did you know they've moved everything around at the Wal-Mart. I can't find anything any more. They had to make it into a "Super" Wal-mart. Now they have groceries. I kind of looked at their prices but they were higher than Kroger. Kroger has better meat too. Their flowers are cheaper too. I think I'll pick up some of those lipstick red geraniums while I'm there and I may as well pick up some lipstick, I'll wait on the purse. Anyway, the Mortons are going to have another baby. Isn't that neat."

Anybody else have that problem?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-25-2001, 07:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ear bending

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Man! And I thought I was the only one who had to suffer through this stuff.
Randy, you've got a good ear for dialogue.

Don DeLillo, watch your laurels!

I hope she reads it and gives you an earful. At least you got the recorder switched on. Some of our arguments can be of the "what did I just say?" variety. But I would not be so rude to go the Yes Dear, No Dear, That's nice Dear route. Just tend to switch off when I get in from the Ratrace.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-26-2001, 01:04 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Man! And I thought I was the only one who had to suffer through this stuff.
Ya know, I love my wife...and we're going through some tough times now, but it just amazes me what can set her off. My sister called today and we had a very long in depth talk about our relationships...seems we both have shakey ones at this particular point in our lives. What I need to do is just step back and realize that my wife is going through mentalpause, and I just have to be supportive and understanding, and I also must realize the fact that I am a moron and generally useless.

And another thing that *really* irritates me is that my butt is growing more hair than my head! What's up with that?!?!? I seriously did not even think getting old would suck this bad! I've heard that men age gracefully, well I hate to tell ya that ain't the case with me! I'm gettin' mean and if'n I start growing hairs on my earlobes I'm gonna put a 45 in my mouth!

Seriously though, a former co-worker of mine came over to visit me one day a few years ago and I was very happy to see him. He's a great guy! He was on a little road trip to clear his mind. Seems his wife had felt a little indigestion at lunch and then about 2 hours later her co-workers found her dead at her desk. I cannot imagine what I'd do or how I would feel if that happened to my wife. I didn't even know what to say to him, I've lost many friends over the years, but how do you express your feelings to a man that has lost his wife of 40 or so years?

Now that we're *way* off topic...I get to drive the SVX on the freeway tomorrow! Neener neener!
Old 06-26-2001, 06:25 AM
lightning_8669

She gets me while we are in the car. I'll be driving in some bumper to bumper version of a Nascar race (you know the type, all packed up in anticipation of a major wreck) and she will be prattling on for several minutes. I'll be doing the "yes dear, that's nice dear" routine and she'll say "your haven't heard a word I've said!". And I'll look at her and say "No, you said your Mom was upset with your sister for not taking her side when her husband scollded Jake in front of his friends for wiping his nose on his sleeve. But I'm confused because this has little, if anything, to do with your original topic of why I *still* haven't put an outlet cover on the outlet behind the sofa", I'll then swerve to avoid the semi who's smoking his trailer tires because someone with Illinois plates missed their turn-off and is slashing across 4 lanes of interstate. And then she gets mad because she has nothing to be mad about.

I'll probably get in trouble for this but I think they are all that way. At least I've never met a woman who differed from that model in a measurable way.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Anybody else have that problem?

Quote:
I'll probably get in trouble for this but I think they are all that way. At least I've never met a woman who differed from that model in a measurable way.
The proverbial nail has been hit soundly on the head.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-26-2001, 07:46 AM
lightning_8669

<<The proverbial nail has been hit soundly on the head. >>

So the call goes out, if any man finds a woman *not* this way, tell her to have lots of daughters Heck, you could even ask me to help

Jeepers, I sure hope my wife isn't tuning in
Old 06-26-2001, 07:52 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
What I need to do is just step back and realize that my wife is going through mentalpause, and I just have to be supportive and understanding, and I also must realize the fact that I am a moron and generally useless.
My wife is actually going through menapause. Those mood swings are killer. As far as your being a moron and generally useless . . . well, I don't think so.

Once, several years ago (1977), I was out of work for six months. We had three kids to feed, and I couldn't find work to save my life. I felt like the most useless human being on earth. As hard as my wife tried not to show it was bothering her as much as it was me, it eventually crept through. It was one of the hardest times of our, nearly, 25 year marriage. Luckily, the other storms in our relationship have been short. Don't let it bother you, eddy and don't be too hard on yourself (you've got enough people on this board who'll do that for you ) It's just one more bump in the road of life. Keep on truckin', bud. There are better times ahead.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-26-2001, 08:36 AM
lightning_8669

My wife has yet to enter "power surge mode" and I can only imagine what that will be like. Like going from walking on egg shells to walking bare foot on smashed glass.

Why, just last night I got in trouble because I fixed something. Had a problem with our dining room table. So I grabbed a pliers and took care of it in about 5 minutes. She goes, "THAT'S IT???!!!, that's all it took to fix that?!" I told her I had no idea how long it would take until I tried. She was upset because she was after me for months to fix it. Hey, how was I supposed to know We wound up laughing about it and my son came to my rescue and saved me from a mild beating

Then I went and purchased a new stereo receiver. The one being retired is a Pioneer purchased in 1972. After hooking up this new thing (surround sound, video, cable, fiber optics, etc.) I'm pretty confident I could put a man safely on the moon. Perhaps even mars. Shees!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:00 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:

Once, several years ago (1977), I was out of work for six months. Keep on truckin', bud. There are better times ahead.
Well, I'm nearly at nine months now. And yes, she doesn't seem to think that I should be bummed out about it. Much like your tale, it's starting to show with her now. Actually, I think I'm holding up pretty well, I don't kick the cats or go into screaming rages about stuff I can't do anything about. But the most frustrating part of this whole ordeal is not knowing why I didn't get a job I applied for! Doesn't anyone have the common courtesy to reply to a resume that is sent to them anymore? And then there are the people that say "we'll get back to you", and never call, plain and simple RUDE!

Oh well, I get to drive the SVX to Spokane today to take a test for a job at the post office...now that's scary ain't it?
Old 06-26-2001, 09:07 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
My wife has yet to enter "power surge mode" and I can only imagine what that will be like. Like going from walking on egg shells to walking bare foot on smashed glass.

Trust me, you are *not* going to like it. My wife got so vicious that she finally went to the doctor to get some pills to help her out. She went into mentalpause the day after we got married I think. The hardest part for me, aside from being screamed at occasionally, is the fact that she has *no* sex drive anymore. Oh, yeah, the hot flashes all night long when you're trying to sleep are fun too...covers on, covers off...all night long!!
Old 06-26-2001, 09:11 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
But the most frustrating part of this whole ordeal is not knowing why I didn't get a job I applied for! Doesn't anyone have the common courtesy to reply to a resume that is sent to them anymore? And then there are the people that say "we'll get back to you", and never call, plain and simple RUDE!

Oh well, I get to drive the SVX to Spokane today to take a test for a job at the post office...now that's scary ain't it?

Common courtesy is relatively non-existent in today's business environment. It's sad. Of course, we're dealing with a generation who thinks that a Corporate Vice Presidency is an entry-level position and has little respect for "paying dues." It's kinda like the "we'll do lunch" thing. "We'll get back to you" is merely a "formality" left over from the time when common courtesy did exist.

Enjoy your drive tomorrow, and best of luck.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-26-2001, 10:21 AM
lightning_8669

when common courtesy did exist

I remember when common courtesy existed in the world. I had a conversation with my bride the other day after we were out for dinner. We were talking about the exceptional service we recieved at a local eatery. And I said, "Ya know, it's a real shame that we have a discussion about "good" service. It's a shame because it has become more and more the exception". She agreed that things have gotten worse. It's unfortunate that the business world has adopted this same treatment of people. I have received rejection letters from only a handful of submittals over the years. They seem to have gone the way of the full service gas stations and drive in theaters. Sigh

On the upside if you are one of about 8 people in the whole country that understands how to provide good service with a genuine concern for your customer or co-worker you will be rewarded with above average returns on effort. Treat people with respect and it is amazing how they start to respond.

And with all my good natured spouse bashing (we can guess pretty accurately what things she could say about me ) that respect of others should be extended first only to yourself.