Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Cruise/fog light/security switch removal

I have read the various posts about removing this switch complex but haven't succeeded and afraid I'll break the 20 year old plastic if I force it...anyone with a hint on getting the thing out ? I can get the inner side popped a bit but my attempts to pry out the lateral side w/o success. Also, a post mentions "taking off the inner side blank piece" but again doesn't budge for me.

Helpful hints would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Cruise/fog light/security switch removal

Replacing the illumination bulbs on the dash switches.

Apply pressure to the rounded end cap on the left side of the assembly. Press inward and rotate out, I use a butter knife with a terry cloth towel (or similar) over it, to give me some leverage and prevent scratching, and pry it out. Pay no attention to removing the inner side blank piece. Don't worry, they won't break. A small piece of plastic, like a putty hnife works well too.

When you pull out the switch clusters from the dash, the illumination bulbs are inside the BROWN sockets They are the ones closest to the face of the switch panel.

The BLUE sockets towards the rear are for the indicator lights, which tell you if the circuit is activated. I have never had to replace those. Using a small screwdriver, hey just twist out with a quarter-turn. Check for proper illumination before putting switches back into the dash.

Bulb number 83426PA020

Then just slide it back in with the right side touching first, then the left side just snaps in.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I also move the steering wheel to the lowest position. That allows a little room to hook your finger behind the one corner to pull out
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 AM

When you say "press inwards..." do you mean towards the front of the car or towards the steering wheel ?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I also move the steering wheel to the lowest position. That allows a little room to hook your finger behind the one corner to pull out

Thanks...what's your take on which end comes out first?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteract7 View Post
When you say "press inwards..." do you mean towards the front of the car or towards the steering wheel ?
Press inward toward the steering wheel to release the tension on the switch and gently pry out from the left side. The left side will come out first.

You should be able to pull it far enough out to change the bulbs without rotating it like the photo.

Also see photos 3, 4, and 5 in the instrumental panel removal instructions HERE

It shows the same thing. The main reason to rotate the switch is to push it back through the opening to get it out of the way for the next step.
You won't need to do this. I haven't steered you wrong yet.

If you have problems, you have my mobile number.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-28-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Thanks..off to give it a try.