Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:15 AM

Question Any suggestions for shipping a windshield?

My car has a big, poorly-repaired crack running from top to bottom on the drivers side. I found a replacement windshield (bronze tinted and everything!) but neither the seller nor myself have any idea how to ship the dumb thing. Has anyone done this before? Suggestions for packing and shipping company? Normally I'd try to pick it up locally but I can't make the 18-hour drive anytime soon.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Any suggestions for shipping a windshield?

This has been my big reservation about shipping them for the 4 years that I've had them around... I currently have plenty of windshields but no safe way of shipping. And I don't do the amount of traveling I used to. If you and your seller figure out a way, please share.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 AM

How are windshields shipped to installers? Maybe the seller could ask some nearby glass company if they have a leftover crate and padding that could be modified as needed.

Declare a value to the shipper and insure the goods.

dcb
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM

I've not yet gone to/called UPS/Fed-Ex but I've been crunching some numbers and called a glass installer. So far, what I've come up with is ~$490 for new glass from Safelite installed (they have ONE in stock nationwide). If I were to drive up and pick the glass up myself, it would cost about $460 in travel costs (gas and hotel, not including fuel for the squishy meat bag behind the wheel). Add to that the cost of the windshield and the cost of install ($125) and it becomes very economical to get the new, wrong color of glass.
I still don't know how much it would cost UPS/Fed-Ex to ship it but I would be surprised if it is cheaper than the ~$500 it would cost me to get it.

Anyone with bronze glass be interested in meeting me halfway?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrvr View Post
I've not yet gone to/called UPS/Fed-Ex but I've been crunching some numbers and called a glass installer. So far, what I've come up with is ~$490 for new glass from Safelite installed (they have ONE in stock nationwide). If I were to drive up and pick the glass up myself, it would cost about $460 in travel costs (gas and hotel, not including fuel for the squishy meat bag behind the wheel). Add to that the cost of the windshield and the cost of install ($125) and it becomes very economical to get the new, wrong color of glass.
I still don't know how much it would cost UPS/Fed-Ex to ship it but I would be surprised if it is cheaper than the ~$500 it would cost me to get it.

Anyone with bronze glass be interested in meeting me halfway?
FYI, that's going to be chinese glass without the OEM moulding and they will need to salvage the moulding off of yours. If yours is original, and has spent 20 years in the arid, hot oklahoma climate, this isn't going to happen. Just so you're forewarned.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
FYI, that's going to be chinese glass without the OEM moulding and they will need to salvage the moulding off of yours. If yours is original, and has spent 20 years in the arid, hot oklahoma climate, this isn't going to happen. Just so you're forewarned.
Oh lordy... not what I needed to hear. Any suggestions or recommendations for getting a good piece of glass and install then?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Oh lordy... not what I needed to hear. Any suggestions or recommendations for getting a good piece of glass and install then?
Some people have had luck with getting a rubber place to custom make a some moulding. I personally would want OEM glass, but I don't see there being any significant issue with the chinese replacements. They do not have the titanium oxide coating as well which is the other difference. Also, take your car to the glass shop and see what they say about the current moulding. It's possible yours could have been replaced at some time meaning newer moulding.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
FYI, that's going to be chinese glass without the OEM moulding and they will need to salvage the moulding off of yours.
Is the moulding you describe something other than the "rubber dam" shown on a (subaruparts.com) parts diagram?

dcb
Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

My windshield was replaced by Diamond glass. They used a special caulking that hardens like a molding. It doesn't look that bad. I'll try to post a photo.

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Why not ask the glass installer that you've chosen to contact their counterpart where the OEM windshield is. Perhaps if the seller can get it to them they can ship it internally using the packing and an old crate from one of their recent installs.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Why not ask the glass installer that you've chosen to contact their counterpart where the OEM windshield is. Perhaps if the seller can get it to them they can ship it internally using the packing and an old crate from one of their recent installs.
That's not a terrible idea... I may have to swing by their office and see if they can help out somehow.

Is it worth all this fuss to get original glass? I noticed some mention about a coating of some kind...
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
That's not a terrible idea... I may have to swing by their office and see if they can help out somehow.

Is it worth all this fuss to get original glass? I noticed some mention about a coating of some kind...
The coating keeps the sun's rays at bay. keeps it cooler and lessens fading. It's what gives the bronze colouring. Many mini vans and other vehicles with large windshields have it. I'd go with the OEM. The way our cars are designed they are like mini green houses because of all the glass.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:45 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Is the moulding you describe something other than the "rubber dam" shown on a (subaruparts.com) parts diagram?

dcb
Yes.... While it appears that should be the moulding, many, many people have ordered it and it not being that. This has been discussed at great length in the past. THE ONLY way to get new moulding, is with a brand new, OEM windshield.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
My windshield was replaced by Diamond glass. They used a special caulking that hardens like a molding. It doesn't look that bad. I'll try to post a photo.
Any chance you can post those pictures?

UPDATE:
I've talked with UPS and the estimated shipping cost is a little more than $500. Assuming FedEx will be about the same cost. I am yet to talk with the people at Safelite, their office is on the other side of town. Hope to make it this weekend sometime.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 PM

I have shipped many large parts thru Greyhound Bus. I have not shipped a windshield glass but I have shipped two pickup doors, engine hood and a couple of other large body parts for an 72 full sized Blazer that I am restoring. The cost to ship parts from CA to NY was very reasonable and shipping was very easy except for pickup. The problem comes that the seller has to take the item to a Greyhound terminal and the buyer needs to pickup at a Greyhound terminal. No home pickup or delivery. Not a big problem if both the seller/buyer have access to a nearby terminal. Buyer pays the shipping cost when you pickup the item but seller/buyer can get an estimate from Greyhound ( I forgot the process but you can get info from a terminal or online). I've never had a problem since the item travels in the luggage area of the bus but if the item has to make many transfers from the seller to the buyer, things can happen if the glass isn't packed properly. Just my two cents but a source to consider.