IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 10:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Unhappy Stopped by the Yahoo! site...

...and it makes me kinda sad...

It seems to me that the people with the real knowledge have defected to this club site.

The awesome science dispensed by one user about the 'AWD fuse' and the '4WD computer chip' was too, too much...

Add to that, the site is currently plagued with the M40 symptom.

Thank you to the people who have made, and continue to make, this site possible.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-13-2001, 11:39 AM
Lowered SVX

yahoo

never got on that site and i am glad i did not from some of the stories i have heard.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-13-2001, 11:49 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Lightbulb Re: Stopped by the Yahoo! site...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
[BThe awesome science dispensed by one user about the 'AWD fuse' and the '4WD computer chip' was too, too much...

[/B]
Can you do a cut and paste and post it here? I'd be interested in seeing what kind of idiocy is being posted there. If not, could you get me his monicker and I'll just do a search for it here?
Old 06-13-2001, 12:04 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Unhappy

As one of the first members of the Yahoo! club, I have to say that I find it a little sad how quickly it has degenerated. I agree that the technical knowledge all seems to be around here any more.

I think most of the reason is simply because this site's easier (to me) to navigate, and a LOT less buggy! The Yahoo! club admins cater to hundreds of different clubs demands... this place is SVX-specific and therefore I think much easier to modify to meet the demands of the user base.

Plus the fact that the signal/noise ratio went rapidly downhill in the last few months; keeping up with it all while I was out of town on business (since February) became a chore... this site became a lot easier to deal with.

Goodbye Yahoo! It's been a good run... but I for one am not going back.
Old 06-13-2001, 12:26 PM
Lowered SVX

aredub.....

did anyone post a bulletin on the yahoo site telling about the wonders of the Net. i posted one kinetic again yesteday and i think i pulled in another new recruit. i love this place and can imagine being on another site or trying to even post on multiple sites. this is my only home now.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-13-2001, 12:58 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: aredub.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
did anyone post a bulletin on the yahoo site telling about the wonders of the Net. i posted one kinetic again yesteday and i think i pulled in another new recruit. i love this place and can imagine being on another site or trying to even post on multiple sites. this is my only home now.

As this site was meant to be a "hopeful replacement" for Yahoo, it was heavily promoted prior to the "Grand Opening," as it was on the I- club and KC sites. After its "Grand Opening" I didn't want people to feel I was "proselytizing" their members. As far as I'm concerned, I've done all I'm going to do to "promote" this site. I'm just going to set back and watch it grow, now. And, grow it has. I'm very pleased with A) The level of growth, B) The quality of its members, and C) The level of information -- and, oh yeah, the senses of humor.

The fact that people have deemed this site "difficult to navigate" still leaves me baffled, but, I can understand an unwillingness to change. When the I-club was offered, I was rebelliously resistant, but, I felt like a "stepchild" at the "Impreza" club. This is truly "home." When the actual owner of the server as well as all admin staff are SVX *owners,* you can rest assured that your best interests will be first and foremost on their minds.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-13-2001, 01:03 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Stopped by the Yahoo! site...

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Can you do a cut and paste and post it here? I'd be interested in seeing what kind of idiocy is being posted there. If not, could you get me his monicker and I'll just do a search for it here?
"your rear wheel drive might not be working because the fuse blew or the coputer chip is fried. I think it might be one of these two things because the SVX is a front wheel drive if you simply pull out the computer chip that controls the 4wd."

It's a classic.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-13-2001, 01:07 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Stopped by the Yahoo! site...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

"your rear wheel drive might not be working because the fuse blew or the coputer chip is fried. I think it might be one of these two things because the SVX is a front wheel drive if you simply pull out the computer chip that controls the 4wd."

It's a classic.
Eddy, I know I've chastised you countless times about calling people re***ds. But . . . in this case . . .

BTW "pockets." did you set the poor fellow straight?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 06-13-2001 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:21 PM
Lowered SVX

pockets....

was that really the kids post?? jesus i hope he doesnt find his way here. that is just ridiculous???!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-13-2001, 01:40 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stopped by the Yahoo! site...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Eddy, I know I've chastised you countless times about calling people re***ds. But . . . in this case . . .

Yeah, and what is sad is that some unfortunate new SVX owner might find that site first and actually buy into that stuff. How'd ya like to walk into a service department and tell them that you have it on good authority that there is either a fuse blown or the chip in the computer is bad?

Service advisor: Very well sir we'll look into that.

ONE HOUR LATER

Service advisor: Well sir, we've checked all your fuses, and the chip in the computer is working fine. Normally we charge 65 dollars for a diagnostic, but in as much as I have never seen my tech laugh so hard...we'll wave the diagnostic charge.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:00 PM
Administrator

This server

I really do appreciate all the kudos about this server. I will be the first to admit that I have not been around much recently, but I must attend to personal thinks like getting a job. I still run in and kick things when the server throws a fit, but as time goes by and bugs are smashed, we run longer and longer without having to babysit. When I started this server is was a hair pulling experience. I got mixed emotions from the Yahoo members. All I wanted to do was FIX what I thought was bugs or features with the Yahoo system I thought were missing. Since I am not a programmer on the Yahoo payroll I had no way of adding features like the message search nor the ability to fix the msg40 bug. I even got hate mail from bogus email addresss about how I was damaging the SVX community and did this for might, power, and fame or attention. Wow! I am famous.... (not) The real reason I did this was nothing more than wanting to help and improve on the SVX community. It almost did not happen. In the begining while running a freeware versoin of the forum software code, I about pulled the plug. We were trying to get donations to purchase the forum software and it was going a bit slow and sluggish. It was Aredubjay that had motivated me to continue the project for just a bit longer and not to give up. Eventually we got enought donations and we started over from the freeware version to the full deal we use today. (with a few revisions here and there that people have noticed) Although I provided the server, time, and got the nesessary high speed T1.... This was not an effort performed by me alone.

So I would like to take a moment and list some of the people who helped to make the SVX World Network what it is today and will see it through to the next phase and on......

• Aredubjay
    LarryIII
    svxxx26
    rufus
    thumper_svx
    Jaylinb
    Chad
    Sith
    Chris (yea... me)
    and behind the scenes
    Travis Burnside
    Mark Messenger
    Jim Waldon

So, until I put information like this in a FAQ, let it be known that the listed people above are the ones that made this all happen.
Can I hear a round of applause for the people the stepped forward and either donated money, time, or both to see what we have made today!? In our infacny we have organized a fun loving group of SVX enthusiasts around the world and have shared our stories, information and knowedge. Isnt this great?!

Chris
(SVX Admin)
Old 06-13-2001, 02:11 PM
Lowered SVX

i am given all the.....

beloved golf clap.....you guys did a great job!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-13-2001, 02:24 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Stopped by the Yahoo! site...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

You have a real problem calling me that, don't you? You look uncomfortable saying it.

No, I did not set the guy straight. I only have a very superficial knowledge of how the drivetrain does what it does, so I am not the one to be calling his mistakes.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-13-2001, 02:29 PM
Lowered SVX

mr. pockets......

you still could have told the kid to stop spreading his ignorance.....that kind of crap is just unnecessary.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-13-2001, 02:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Question "The Other Site" or "Pull That Fuse for AWD"

To all on this site on this thread,

FIRST TOPIC:
We at the "other site" (yahoo) did set the young man straight about the AWD in the SVX. I think he either blew a fuse or fried his gray matter.
NEXT TOPIC:
I, for one, have to exert more effort to navivigate this site. For technical threads this setup is fine. But, I prefer the easy disjointed flow of posts on the Yahoo site. To me it's homier with a lot of different converstions going on at the same time.
NEXT TOPIC:
The message 40 bug is on the prowl today bigtime.
NEXT TOPIC:
Lwin, you're welcome.
LAST TOPIC:
Cube why did you change your club name to Mr. Pockets ?

Larry III formerly Larry iii