Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 08-28-2011, 04:52 AM

Oil cooler on Power steering.

When I changed the radiator to a new design I had to remove the power steering cooling pipe as there is not enough room between the radiator and the condensor. As a result I have been driving around for the last 2 years with no cooler which causes major problems with the steering oil over heating. I have been looking around for a better way to do the cooling and have finally come up with a new idea.

Looking at the current piping on my 1995 the return pipe from the steering rake is bolted to the head and about 50mm away from the exhaust so the heat generated by the engine is heating the power steering oil. What I plan to do is remove that pipe and install this oil cooler attach to the subframe with air picked up from the side of the radiator through a box.

Here is the oil cooler.

This cooler will be less likly to block up with grass etc which will cause problems with a fin type cooler.
For the techinal minded the cooler in the photo is a 45mm ID pipe with fins on both the inside and outside. It will be positioned on the right side slightly in front of the engine and below the head. Air flow will be from the front of the car to the back. Oil will flow from the rake to the front, the method of the cooler is call "Counter Current" the reason is that when the oil leaves the cooler it is passing the hotest oil at the back of the cooler. At the front the coolest air is passing the coldest oil. What it means is that the air leaving the cooler is nearly as hot as the peak oil temp as opposed to the average temp of both.
Simple terms more work done with less air.

Anyway will post more images as we go.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Oil cooler on Power steering.

You could always just remove the PS completely and drop the gym membership. Looks like a slick set up.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Twice now when I have been away I have had to drive with out power steering and its been hard. My longest distance was 3,000k as I broke a pipe when I hit a washway to fast.
Its not the effort that scares me it the force on the steering wheel is so great you feel sure it will break the steering shaft or some thing simular.

I wonder if the same idea would work as a oil cooler for the engine.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:59 AM

Have the power steering oil cooler installed now I just need to cover it to force the air pass the fins.

Looks good, remember Adam saying that the SVX engine he did with Jack they had to put a oil cooler in so that is why I have goon over the top with this job.

Here is the cad.

Tony
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil cooler power steering assembly.pdf (168.5 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Dessertrunner; 09-03-2011 at 02:04 AM.