How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Ca$h

I've always liked how 'different' they are, and I guess the early 90s styling just 'does it for me'. When I was growin up I played the original "Need For Speed" on the 3do video game system, and that whole luxurious high performance is just such a turn on. Add in the specs (AWD and 230 hp) and for under 5000 I don't think there is a single better deal in the automotive world today.

Did I mention I love driving my SVX? I've only had it for 2 days and its just incredible. Kinda porsche/jaguar/honda ish.

- Ca$h
Old 08-26-2002, 01:10 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I had always wanted a high performace sports car, but had never been able to afford one, or justify one. I had seen them before, and had no idea what they cost when I decided to shop for one. To my surprise, they were affordable. I wanted something that is not a dime a dozen or as comon as some of the other cars that I will not mention. I fell in love with them, and I have a second one now. I think that when I was able to drive one, that was when I knew I had to have one. I am hooked for life. The other thing that has added to the ownership is this great forum. I have made many friends, and have gotten more advice on repairs than I ever thought possible. It really makes this car worth owning. Oh, and the other fun thing is the comments and questions I get about the car. Some are priceless.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-26-2002, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
reasoning

well, i was interested in grand prixs, since i had owned one earlier. then looked at monte carlos... a friend of mine had a ford probe, liked the smaller car look and the power of even his car. i actually ended up using autotrader.com to look for types of cars, i was stuck between a 1995 dodge steath AWD twin turbo, 320 horses....but it was just too much for me. decided on the SVX without even test driving one, had it shipped to me from pennsylvania. I had bought it and never drove one, it was crazy. it was great though!! thanks to the lady who owned it before me and took great care of it. and also to green1995SVX(mike) for letting me know the condition of it.

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 08-26-2002, 01:54 PM

How it started

We have a fleet of Legacys and Outbacks where I work, so whenever we took one into the dealer for maintenance I would drool over the SVX. At the time I had a Black 89 XT6 AWD in great condition. But over the years the xt took a lot to maintain the suspension. Then one day on the used car lot was a red SVX, I looked at it and looked at it and when I decided to buy it someone had bought it the day before. Bummer. Well come to find out that person lived about 6 blocks from me, so for a year and a half I would drive by it occasionally just to look and drool. The XT finally became to much to maintain and it also started to rust. I knew I had to unload it, so just for the heck of it I drove by the Red SVX and the owner was outside fixing up his house to sell. I stopped and said I see you are selling your home, do you need to sell your SVX before you leave town. His mouth dropped and he stood there for a second and said he and his wife had just talked about selling it within the hour. Over the next two or three days I talked him down $3500.00 and it now sits in my driveway. I'm the third owner, the first owner is well known by the Subaru dealer because of how they baby it while the owned it. The guy I bought it from also took great care of it. Now I have it and plan to take even better care of it.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 08-26-2002, 03:20 PM
gcookaustin

I bought mine because of the styling, mostly, and also it's a rare car. Too many civics/eclipses/talons on campus; I've gotta "diversify" hehe. Also it was cheaper than some "regular" cars with more mileage, and has a lot of HP. Looks almost brand new when washed (and not looking at my fading front left fender )
Old 08-26-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm just sayin'..........

I remember the first time I ever saw an SVX. My mom was shopping for a car and I was a junior in hs. We went to a Subaru dealer that was right across the street from where my mom test drove a Plymouth Laser (piece of junk).....they had just gotten it in. It was a claret LS. I can still remember the feel of the the suede on the dash. That was all it took. I pleaded and pleaded, but she bought the stupid Laser anyway. From then on I knew that I would one day own an SVX.

So before I start rambling, I agree with what someone else said.....I like to be unique.....face it you just don't see SVX's every day. (at least I don't....unless you coun't this past weekend) .I've had a del sol, supra, xr4ti, legend coupe, and the list goes on....NONE of these cars even comes close to an SVX in my opinion. (hence I'm on number 2 - first one met her maker...head on into a tree...yet it was DRIVEN up onto the rollback). IF something happens to this one, I'm buying another...This is a lifetime commitment to a car I love......

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 08-26-2002, 03:53 PM

the tranny was slipping in my Probe and i needed a new car. i was driving down the street and i laid eyes on this car...test drove it...then it was mine. i like a "rare" car that is not seen on every street and every driveway. i like something with style and getupandgo. i love this car

the main drawing of the attention was the AWD sign on it...didn't think a car that looked like that (thought it was newer..silly me) would have that and the winters here are nasty. road depo don't take car of the roads to well. then it was the windows then it was the interior, then it was the performance and handling, then the keys went on my chain. i wanted a truck, but well, now i got a svx...and i love it that way!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:35 PM
Kienan

Why i bought it

I actually didnt know much about this car before i actually saw it. As i knew this car was going to be out of my price range, so i didnt even worry about searching for one. I was looking to buy a 300zx, silvia, or a sports car like that. As you can pick them up for cheap in Australia.
But we went to a car auction and i saw the SVX (wow, i couldnt believe it). I sat inside the car, and told my parents this is the car for me. Then we took it for a test drive. I couldnt believe how well it went. Dad also loved these cars, so he was keen for me to buy it, so he could get a drive. Dad knew one of the guys who helps run the auctions, and was able to get him to lower the price for me a fair bit . A day later, i had decided to buy it. Gave them the deposit, and it is all history from there.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:07 PM
"high" in Colorado

why...

I have had 3 Subaru's besides my SVX.... a 85 BRAT, 90 Loyale, and a 91 Legacy...

I have always been impressed with Subaru's reliability, and "function before form" mentality.

The SVX is something out of the ordinary that I didn't think I could afford....then I stumbled on my Pearlie, and have never looked back. Love the performance, and handleing, and the great 3.3 boxer 6.
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 08-26-2002, 07:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
After my divorce 5 years ago, I didn't care much about what kind of car I drive, as long as it's decent enough and takes me from point A to point B . Since i can't afford a foreign car, I bought a Dodge Caravan. Until now, it runs so smooth and hardly have any troubles. After driving the minivan for about 2 years, I got tired of my brother telling me, I looked like a soccer mom in that minivan. It didn't really bother me that much until one day that I had to meet someone for a dinner and I didn't want to show up in a minivan... it wasn't too glamourous. So I asked my other younger brother if I could borrow his SVX. I didn't know much about this car before, except for it's weird windows. He never let anyone drive that car, but I begged to borrow it just for that one time. I didn't realize the special qualities of this car until I got inside it and took off. I said, WOW! I fell in love with this car instantly. I love the performance, the power and the uniqueness. I was amazed how it turned a lot of heads when I was driving it, and besides, some people told me I looked good in it, heh heh.....

One day, my brother came home with an Infiniti QX4 SUV. He traded his other car, BMW for it. He said he got too many speeding tickets because of the SVX, so he wanted to sell it even though he just bought new YOKOHAMA tires for it. I didn't want him to sell it to anybody else, so I bought it for $4,000 at 88k miles. I loved that car even before I owned it. I used to wash it for him and enjoyed every moment of it. Now, I'm SVXless temporarily because of some minor problems needed to be fixed. It's amazing how easy it is to spend money on this car while sacrificing my other needs. I guess, it's love...

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 08-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

I'm of the same mindset as Billisa. I can't understand the rush to throw money at a big ticket item that can lose 15% of its value as soon as you sign up to buy it. "I have some great stock called Enron. I'll sell to you today $50 a share, & in 10 years, it'll be worth 10 cents". "Oooh - then I better buy a lot of it". Hmmmm.

I first saw the car at an auto-show in '91, I guess. First reaction - Space ship, 30K - I'll pass, just as I've always passed on Maseratis & Ferraris.

Five years or so later, I'm in a shopping center parking lot & I spot a Pearlie. For some reason I really notice the windows, & I remember my first viewing at the show. Hmmmm... I peek inside. SUEDE, Holy Crap! REALLY distinctive looking, but probably still worth 20K. I do nothing.

Two years later, I spot a teal pulling into a business establishment. I follow it, & chase the owner. "How do you like it, I ask". "Love it, but had to replace the (guess) at 60K.

I now start to research the car via internet links & Yahoo. I still wasn't scared away, even with Maria's weekly parts meltdown vividly documented. I correspond with a couple of SVX owners (Joeaux was one).
I notice that the prices for these beasts, were not only a bargain, but were totally inconsistant. Now I'm on a mission. I WILL make this my next car, & I will NOT spend more than $7,500.00. This is 25% of list, & approaching my rule of "Never spend more than 3K for wheels, ever". I made the exception, however, because I simply wanted one BAD!
So, after watching local classifieds for several months, the batmobile appeared at the right price & condition & it's been mine for 18 months, & I ain't one bit sorry.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:34 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Well oddly enough, I was actually looking for a rally car to do navex rally in. I went digging in the paper and happened to stumble across an add for a SVX for $800. Thinking they had misprinted the add (seeing as it was from a Ford dealer lot), I called to ask about about. The car was intact, barring a overheating issue. I figured hell for $800 I could part it out if it didn't run, so I went down and bought it. Who could pass that deal up.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-26-2002, 09:43 PM

billsa,

I second or third, or ??? on buying used vice new (although my wife doesn't feel that way).

However, I went from an MR2 to an SVX. I moved because I wanted a little more comfort and was willing to give up speed and handling (but not all of it). So I started looking for an affordable GT to coddle me in my senility.

If a last gen Supra could be had for SVX prices it would have been a more difficult decision, but even at same-same prices, the SVX looks better IMHO. I really didn't consider anything else except for a quickly passing idea of a Legend coupe - too bland.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:49 PM
deadeye95

One of my friends at work knew I was looking for a car in March 1994. He brought in a "Consumer Reports" car guide......was looking through it and saw this picture of a red SVX 2 door and that it was actally rated "RECOMMENDED"! C/R never recommends a 2 door.

Called the 3 dealers in the state and only Santa Fe had one - RED just like the C/R picture. It was the "L" (in this state you get what you get). Listed $24K with a $2k rebate.

I wish my story was more romantic with a love theme, but it takes an engineer to decide to love only "recommended" cars...
Old 08-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Geeez, I can't believe nobody has confessed to "I bought it to impress the chicks." (my midwestern upbringing precludes me from using brash, 'colloquial' terms here )

Face it, we all bought this car for it's 'face' value, all of it's other good points are just perks...