Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Legacy gearbox option

"Wafting" at easy speed is what it does very well.

Back in '92 it was favourably compared in the press to the Jaguar XJS, and I think that's highly appropriate.

Jaguar's tag line a long, long time ago was "Grace, Space, Pace" I think the SVX does all this to very high level while adding the security of AWD to the mix.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Did you bid on that gearbox on eBay from Newton Abbott?

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

When you search this site there is more info on the gearbox than you can shake a stick at. Having replaced mine already with one that seems perfect I presume that the high temps are generated by the box attempting seamless shifts under power. Actually it does achieve this. My old one toasted it's high clutch. I'm sure somewhere I have seen mention that it's possible to remap this shift characteristic, presumably at the expense of a smooth shift. I wonder if this helps?
You might consider the manual option though as it would probably enhance the resale of the car and broaden it's appeal. A fruity exhaust would suit a manual too - call me old fashioned but only a trad V8 suits an auto with one.

Sorry for the long gap in posts - I have contracted a Volvo addiction. Think I'm over it but I have 4 to share amongst you all.......
Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM

Yes the manual does have a certain appeal doesn't it. I think the changes in the auto-box are well suited to the engine and I have been using Power mode for the last few weeks although compared to driving my RX7 on the same route it is somewhat more relaxing and stately.

Re: Gearbox Newton Abbot.
No I haven't bid on one although there was a late auto-box with the extra cooler on e-bay some time ago, it was quite local to me Tiverton is a name that rings a bell and it was at an Army base but I could be mistaken there was the rest of the car for spares as well.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:36 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
When you search this site there is more info on the gearbox than you can shake a stick at. Having replaced mine already with one that seems perfect I presume that the high temps are generated by the box attempting seamless shifts under power. Actually it does achieve this. My old one toasted it's high clutch. I'm sure somewhere I have seen mention that it's possible to remap this shift characteristic, presumably at the expense of a smooth shift. I wonder if this helps?
You might consider the manual option though as it would probably enhance the resale of the car and broaden it's appeal. A fruity exhaust would suit a manual too - call me old fashioned but only a trad V8 suits an auto with one.

Sorry for the long gap in posts - I have contracted a Volvo addiction. Think I'm over it but I have 4 to share amongst you all.......

You can't actually be barred for liking Volvos Steve, but it weakens your case. A lot.
[Unless it's the 2.3 turbo ones you like!]

I prefer the auto myself, and Phil has done wonders on reprogramming the TCU.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW svx View Post
Yes the manual does have a certain appeal doesn't it. I think the changes in the auto-box are well suited to the engine and I have been using Power mode for the last few weeks although compared to driving my RX7 on the same route it is somewhat more relaxing and stately.

Re: Gearbox Newton Abbot.
No I haven't bid on one although there was a late auto-box with the extra cooler on e-bay some time ago, it was quite local to me Tiverton is a name that rings a bell and it was at an Army base but I could be mistaken there was the rest of the car for spares as well.
Yes, I prefer Power mode as well, it's more responsive with it on.

The auto box with two coolers sold yesterday with two bidders on eBay. I just wondered if you were one of them as Newton Abbott is so close to you and you were debating having a spare. I think it sold for £58 which was ridiculously cheap if it's a fully working box.

BTW eBay also has a gearbox on auction from a Legacy RS, which is a twin turbo saloon. This will be 4.111 final drive. These are regularly available as the cars are imported from Japan with autos and guys round here prefer manuals. That one would make your car fairly nippy if you could get the matching rear diff.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

And the Newton Abbott one has been relisted for some reason, despite being "sold" last week.

Seems a little bit suspect. I wonder if maybe a friend tried to pump up the price, but the interested outsider left it to the last minute to snipe the auction, with the result the price did not rise to the level they wanted?

It's not explained why it's back on sale, so you wonder.

[eBay claim that they are trying to stop shill bidding with this new-ish unrecognisable bidder lark, Bidder 1, Bidder 2, yadda yadda. It's shooting themselves in the foot, it's no longer fun to bid. I used enjoy going over the other bidders' history to check what they tend to buy and how they bid. It brought an element of personal competition to the purchase. I have not bought anything off eBay for maybe two years now, and I used to enjoy competing for stuff and bought loads of things. Time for them to cop on, but they listen to their customers about as much as Sky does. Sweet FA]

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM

You can add Direct Line Insurance to that list as well I have just wasted too many hours of my life trying to sort out a very basic oversight on their part, spectacular stupidity.
I'll check out that auto box although the VTD option seems to be more favourable.