Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 06-20-2009, 02:06 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Shaved door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
No turning back now:
1- Don't tell me that was a three tone SVX?
2- I can see that piece of metal welded a bit towards the inside of the door, am I seeing right?
3- Were you able to remove the outside rear 4th glass quarter panels successfully without breaking the inner tabs? If yes, HOW?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 06-20-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
1- Don't tell me that was a three tone SVX?
It was a white/black car that got smashed up on the passenger's side, my parts car was all black, the door, fender and most of the quarter on that side came from the black car, along with the plastic, just haven't primed the plastic yet. Everything else got primed because it all required a little body work.

Quote:
2- I can see that piece of metal welded a bit towards the inside of the door, am I seeing right?
Yeah, it is about 1/16" below the surface of the door, it might look like more because the welds weren't ground down at that point. The body filler is no more than 1/8" thick anywhere on the door, which is more than acceptable. I left the little lip that the handle sits in so the door resisted warping while I was welding, the metal is pretty much sitting on that lip, the metal I used for the filler piece is considerably thicker than the metal of the door. That is basically how we always do it.

Quote:
3- Were you able to remove the outside rear 4th glass quarter panels successfully without breaking the inner tabs? If yes, HOW?
It was falling off when I got the car, it was already broken. I have to take the ones off the parts car soon, so I'll try to get them off without breaking them. I have a plan that might work.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:13 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
It was falling off when I got the car, it was already broken. I have to take the ones off the parts car soon, so I'll try to get them off without breaking them. I have a plan that might work.
Please SHARE with PIX if possible!

Do a write up!

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Registered SVX

hers a pic of one i just found
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21738250004_large.jpg (206.7 KB, 205 views)
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

It's already been posted.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 PM

I solved the lock "problem" today, I'll have to get pictures tomorrow. I cut off the solenoid for the power locks, which freed up a lot of room and I also welded the lock permanently in the unlocked position. Even with nothing connected to them, door locks have been known to ruin my day by falling into the locked position.

Those door lock solenoids look promising for a power trunk release. I need to experiment with them a little. A pinout would be helpful, if anyone has one.

I also snagged a 40lb solenoid from the boss's truck, so I can at least mock it up tomorrow with that before I get around to ordering the new ones. I'll get pictures of that, even though it should be a pretty straight forward install.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Quote:
Agreed!

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 06-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Got some pictures today, would have a video, but my piece of crap camera had a dead battery and my DSLR doesn't do video.

First thing I did was cut the lock solenoids off of the latch assemblies, since they were dead weight and took up precious space in that area:

Then I welded the lock permanently in the unlocked position:

Here is a good view of the latch assembly, the part with the blue plastic is where the exterior door handle was attached, which is where the solenoid will connect:

Here is everything installed temporarily. The solenoid is junk, but it works good enough for mock up, my boss had it in his truck for a while, but he always had a very simple mechanical backup. It is supposed to have a rubber boot on it:

Only have one bolt holding it on right now because I am not absolutely sure it is the exact model that I will be getting, but it does work fine for right now:

I was almost sure I would need a spring loaded "popper" to push the door out after it unlatches or it would get stuck in that safety position, but it does seem to be throwing the door out enough on its own. I will still install one because if the car is on a hill, it probably won't work too well.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Looks good so far, can't wait for it to be finished.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM

More stuff is going away, I'm going to be very careful and weld up the washer nozzles tomorrow, the antenna is also going away. I'm toying with the idea of removing the trunk lock too.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, everything clears the window with at least 1/2" to spare, the cable is really the only thing that comes anywhere close.

Last edited by Elliott; 06-23-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Here is the solenoid in action. Just have it wired up to a battery charger for now:

Welded up the washer nozzle holes:

I didn't use any metal to fill the hole, just weld, I made this tool a while ago just for trim holes. Just copper tubing with a flattened end. It will hold the weld puddle, but it won't stick to it, it also keeps the heat controlled to reduce warping:

The metal did exactly what I wanted, it created a very slight low spot where the holes were, which was perfect for filler. You are always going to use filler in a situation like this, if the welding doesn't create a low spot, you have to make one with a hammer:

After primer, it is like they were never there:

Started filling the antenna hole in the quarter trim, used some stuff from SEM meant for plastic repair to start out with. Going to leave it sitting on the dash of my parts car for a couple days to make sure there won't be any problems, then I will grind it, fill it and smooth it out:

It may seem like little insignificant things, but it really makes a difference when the car is finished.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

how do you get radio stations if you have no antenna? Just wondering cause I know I personally like to listen to the radio in the car.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
how do you get radio stations if you have no antenna? Just wondering cause I know I personally like to listen to the radio in the car.
The trunk is fiberglass, so a hidden one will work great. Hot rod guys use them all the time in fiberglass replica cars.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

interesting. if you go this route please take some pics.