Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
smoked lenses? Yay or nay?

I've seen one SVX with it done and it didn't look too good. I see lots of black evos and black STi's with this done. I'm just curious what everyone thinks about it, and if there are more people who have done it and have pictures.

I'd like to have a more modern look to my lights I'm planning on doing the clear lenses up front and clearing out the back but I'm curious if the smoked lights would look good as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Re: smoked lenses? Yay or nay?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX

If you really are curious what people thing, go ask a patrol officer what he thinks of the smoked lights, front or back. Btw, that teal 91 CRX Si in the background was exactly what I had many years ago.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Nay.

I say, tint your rear turn signals red if you'd like something different, as Eric has done.

'Nuff said.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 PM

Registered SVX

hahahaha that roofscoop is half of a small garbage bin and as for the one on the hood it looks like the bin off an office shredder
cheap mods= falls off before you hit 80 km/h
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Network Design Administrator

-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

Quote:
I say, tint your rear turn signals red if you'd like something different, as Eric has done.
Different, like everybody else! (or just me)

Nay on the smoked lenses. I once saw a nissan with all the chrome bits in the headlights painted with that black chrome stuff. It didn't seem to effect light output, and really set off the front end. Perhaps something like that woiuld be feasable?
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy'sSVX

Front or rear? Cause I'm thinking about doing my tail lights, and taping off my turn signals and reverse lights, I think it would make for some fun contrast.

1994 Barcelona Red LS 97,xxx miles
Mods:
- JVC Indash head unit, polk 6.5's, 6X9's, 2" tweeters, and 8" JL audio subwoofer run off of MA Audio M589I amp. Fiberglass Front splitters molded in, Shifted back stock spoiler, & repainted minor faded parts (Mirrors, rear quarter garnishes),18" murano 5-spoke wheels w/cooper zeon 2xs tires, '97 grille
Old 02-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

So you'd get clear headlights and not so clear everything else?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Old 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM

me and crusien15 did it to ours, i liked it but i no longer have it because i got new tailights. i will see if i have any old pics.

ps its easy to remove if you dont like it.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Mine has the tails smoked (bought it that way). I didn't know what to think of it at first, but it's grown on me since then. I kind of like it now so I'll probably keep it that way, at least for now. At least it was done properly (with VHT Tailshades + clearcoat) so it doesn't peel or have rough edges.

Crappy pic:

There were some other rice mods that I had to get rid of though (LED blinker bulbs, 8000k blue HIDs)
Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

how did I know it was gonna come to the rice comments. Ok, yes I would do smoked rears and clear fronts because my car is black with black wheels, and my interior colors are blue. so the red throws off the feel of the car, and I've seen very clean Evo's and sti's with this done, like I said before. To defend my point here are some examples.

here are some examples, I think it looks good on black or grey cars, very rarely red or white, but it doesn't fit every car. I just think it would make my black svx look cleaner.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

I plan on putting clear fronts with blue or white halos where the fog lights are and hid conversion where my low and high beams are or just the lows.

For the rear I was thinking of clearing the brake lights and getting rid of the subaru svx in the middle and then smoking the tails except the reverse lights and doing custom silver alcyone horns like a guy did on the other forum site. I think it'd look really clean and match the look and feel of my car.

Its not like I'm putting some massive spoiler or rediculous chrome mesh in my bumper I don't understand why everyone on here thinks everything is rice.

I have a wrx 5sd that I plan to run koni suspension with 440 spring rates and hydra ems and build and turbo with a gt 40 series turbo if I can ever afford it.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM

yeah i like the blacked out lenses. I say give it a try who cares what everyone else on here thinks as long as you like it. if you do it and don't like it, then un do it. it doesnt matter what mod it is multiple people are going to call it ricey. its really annoying. for every 1 decent comment you get you will get 10 "its ricey" comments, even if the mod is done well. you can't click on a mod posting and not find someone calling it ricey, unless its a mt swap

for the people who called the smoke lenses "ricey" you need to open up your eyes and look around alittle better, and you will see every style of vehicle new and old with smoked lenses. I have tinted taillights for many people, and not a single one was a honda. Ive done vdubs, bmw, blazer extreme, nova, saturn(close to a honda but still american), mustang and of course subarus.

ok im done ranting.
if you do it post pics i would like to see how it turns out.