IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-27-2008, 05:38 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Opinions on good laptop

I bought my daughter a very nice Dell with a 13" screen. Very nice machine, classy finish and fast processor, loads of memory and disk space but more than double your budget.

However all of this hardware bling is totally undermined by the fact that it only comes with Vista OS. I wanted XP but they only sold with Vista onboard. It is the most frustrating and crap OS known to man. Or daughter. It keeps shutting down the computer. We spend half the time talking on the phone to Dell EMEA support, and they seem to be in Pakistan or somewhere. Considering Dell are a rather large entity I really thought if there were bugs they would/could fix them.

I was wrong.

I'm in the market for another computer soon but there is no effing way on God's earth I will buy anything loaded with vista. I'm looking at Macs right now although I have used PCs all my life.

Bottom line, whatever your budget and whatever you buy avoid the Vista [non]Operating System like the plague.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Opinoins on good laptop

Do you have Service Pack 1? I am baffled as to the problems people have been claiming with Vista! Things are located differently than in XP for sure, but overall, I've had a positive experience.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Opinions on good laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Bottom line, whatever your budget and whatever you buy avoid the Vista [non]Operating System like the plague.
Joe
Sorry to hear that Joe, Up until I bought my new computer a couple of months ago I had also hated the experiences that I had using it on both friends computers as well as on my mom's business laptop. On my mom's it actually crashed while installing SP1 but I was able to get it back running properly.
But now that I have it, I was able to go through and disable a lot of options and I also downloaded a trial of Tuneup Utilities 08 which also helps to easily find and turn off some settings that had been very annoying in my experiences. With a little exploration and changes it is actually a great OS. I also got a tower so that in case I absolutely couldn't stand it I could easily install a dual OS and have XP but I have had no complaints and haven't bothered doing that to this point.
Also one thing to point out is that I think it greatly depends on what version of Vista You are running and also to make sure you have plenty of memory. Even though Vista basic minimum is 1/2 gig and I believe The premium min is 1 gig, I firmly believe from experience that at the very least 1.5 gigs of ram is absolutely necessary. Also there are the 32bit as well as 64bit versions of Vista. My friends and my mom's computers all had the 32bit while mine has the 64bit. Just a bit of info to try and help.

-Nate
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

After a few settings changes my Vista runs great me.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Do you have Service Pack 1?
The machine was bought at the end of August. I presume it is the latest version, or is that a safe assumption? The OS is Vista Home Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Sorry to hear that Joe, Up until I bought my new computer a couple of months ago I had also hated the experiences that I had using it on both friends computers as well as on my mom's business laptop. On my mom's it actually crashed while installing SP1 but I was able to get it back running properly.
But now that I have it, I was able to go through and disable a lot of options and I also downloaded a trial of Tuneup Utilities 08 which also helps to easily find and turn off some settings that had been very annoying in my experiences. With a little exploration and changes it is actually a great OS. I also got a tower so that in case I absolutely couldn't stand it I could easily install a dual OS and have XP but I have had no complaints and haven't bothered doing that to this point.
Also one thing to point out is that I think it greatly depends on what version of Vista You are running and also to make sure you have plenty of memory. Even though Vista basic minimum is 1/2 gig and I believe The premium min is 1 gig, I firmly believe from experience that at the very least 1.5 gigs of ram is absolutely necessary. Also there are the 32bit as well as 64bit versions of Vista. My friends and my mom's computers all had the 32bit while mine has the 64bit. Just a bit of info to try and help.

-Nate
Nate, the laptop is a Dell XPS 1330 with a pretty high spec. From memory it has a Core Duo 2.8 chip, 250 Gig hard drive SATA type 7200 I think, plus it has 4 Gigs of ram, which should be enough to carry the onboard programmes without shutting down.

Thanks fellas for the support, it is much appreciated.

I hear what you are saying about having the machine for a while and getting around to taking off some options and downloading a utilities programme that now has it stable.

However, as a non-PC savvy person, am I asking too much to expect that a laptop that cost me over $1500 should work straight from the box, and not crash? Why is Dell shipping a machine with options enabled that are causing the machine to be flaky? Could these not be switched off at install, and the user could turn them on later if the user perceived a need to use them?

"With a little exploration and changes it is actually a great operating system"

Could these explorations and changes not be applied at source before they ship out a machine to customers like me who just like to switch on the machines and work them?

To me Nate, a great operating system is a working operating system. The word "operating" means working. If it ain't working or won't stay working, then it's not a good OS, never mind a great OS. Hard times are not just coming, they are here already, and Dell and MS will regret sending sub-standard software to customers that drive them into the arms of their Mac competitors.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy'sSVX

Mac. Mac. Mac.

Once you try a mac theres really no going back.

Everything about a mac is perfect. Everything is so easy to use, it NEVER freezes. I've had my macbook for over 2 years and its frozen once and that was because i tried to open all of my programs at once just to see how it would handle it. If a program crashes (which is rarely does) you start it right back up within 15 seconds.

Yes their a bit pricey but if you would find a laptop with the same specs as a macbook it would be just as much anyway.

There is no virus even made for a mac. So no need to waste your money on norton or any viruse protection.

Customer support is all located in america. So if you need to talk to someone you can actually understand them.

Myth: No software is compatible with a mac?
You can get ANY software for windows on a mac. Example: Microsoft office. Either an equivilant mac version or you can even run windows on the mac. I had this for awhile and my windows got a virus so i uninstalled it. Problem solved.

I would never go back ever.

Jeremy
Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

MacBook or MacBook Pro FTW!

-Bill (typed on a MacBook Pro)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy'sSVX View Post
Myth: No software is compatible with a mac?
You can get ANY software for windows on a mac. Example: Microsoft office. Either an equivilant mac version or you can even run windows on the mac. I had this for awhile and my windows got a virus so i uninstalled it. Problem solved.

I would never go back ever.

Jeremy
What about games =D?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
What about games =D?
I'm not much of a gamer so i dont know too much about that BUT.

You get windows using bootcamp and get a graphics card and yoru set.

Oh and ps. I saw a review on a website (i believe it was cnet.com?)

Fastest computer to run Windows Vista: Macbook Pro
Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post

I have a macbook but i would love a macbook pro!

I wasnt really feelin the old style silver macbook pro when i got mine but the new ones.

Ohhhh boy!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy'sSVX View Post
Mac. Mac. Mac.

Once you try a mac theres really no going back.

Jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post

Yes. I am strongly thinking of replacing my desktop with an iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
What about games =D?
I know where you are coming from with this question, but to be honest, I never play "games" on a computer, I have no interest in gaming, and I suspect that more than 80% of computer buyers are like me. We couldn't care less if we never saw a computer game.

What I do care about is that the computer is fast and competent at computer things, word processing, spreadsheets, email, web browsing. That can't be too much to ask, can it?

It's very likely that PC makers and Microsoft are so focused on early adapter high end gamers that their primary goal is now graphics ability and this so-called multi media experience, and to the detriment of us plebs who just want a computer. One that works.

I'm going to take charge of the calls to Dell, and if they can't fix it to my satisfaction I'll be sending it back and buying a Mac for the money refund.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I know where you are coming from with this question, but to be honest, I never play "games" on a computer, I have no interest in gaming, and I suspect that more than 80% of computer buyers are like me. We couldn't care less if we never saw a computer game.

What I do care about is that the computer is fast and competent at computer things, word processing, spreadsheets, email, web browsing. That can't be too much to ask, can it?

It's very likely that PC makers and Microsoft are so focused on early adapter high end gamers that their primary goal is now graphics ability and this so-called multi media experience, and to the detriment of us plebs who just want a computer. One that works.

I'm going to take charge of the calls to Dell, and if they can't fix it to my satisfaction I'll be sending it back and buying a Mac for the money refund.

Joe
Good choice. My first computer was a compaq. Probably the biggest hunk of junk ive ever owned. My family had a dell desktop. Still in the same category as the compaq.

If i would HAVE TO buy a windows computer id go with a toshiba or a sony. But if you have the money, buy a mac.

I've had my macbook for 2 years and it runs just as fast as the day i bought it. My friend has had an ibook for almost 5 years and its runs just as fast as the day he bought it. Find me a windows computer that 5 years later, can still run half of what it ran the day it was purchased.

If you think about it its probably saving you money to buy a mac over a windows computer becuase they will probably last almost twice as long.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:

Joe
True this is why I chose to build my own computer. TBH I would toss Microsoft out the window if I could but seeing as I am a avid video gamer I have no choice. Mac does not support games and the options left to run them are skeptical. True Macs are faster and better but If I had it my way I'd use linux . I do hope you are able to get yours fixed. I fried one of my processors already but that was due to overclocking. Besides that my computer runs like a dream, 3 seconds to load and start windows couldnt ask for anything more.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-27-2008, 03:20 PM

Can't be said enough...MAC MAC MAC

We have had Mac's since 1984, right now we have a Mac Mini, a Mac Pro, and 3 MacBooks (one is really old...). Ready to go out of the box. Great support...had a problem with one, they fixed it in a week and sent a nice set of speakers to me as an apology.

Get a Mac if you can.
05 Mazda 3 (Hubby's DD)

"You win some, you lose some, you wreak some." Dale Earnhardt
Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I have a desktop hp computer which is great but I cant upgrade the usb ports to 2.0 and it's a desktop so you can't carry it anywhere. I also have a iMac, the one with the cd drive built into the moniter. It plain out sucks!!! It crashes all the damn time. I had an old Acer desktop years ago with windows 98. It was great and never had any problems with it. So far my new Acer Aspire laptop is working awsome with vista premium. It's 10x faster than my other computers and i'm enjoing every minute of it. I'm using my Apple Mighty mouse with this also so there is some apple stuff.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 10-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: