How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 05:09 PM

Smile Another SVX comes back to life...

Put 50 miles on my SVX today, after having it sit in my garage for over a month. Here's the tale and some tranny info.

I bought an SVX and had only put 1K miles on it when the front differential case cracked and destroyed the ring & pinion. Couldn't find a replacement in Florida, so sent away for a whole transaxle. I screwed up the installation by not fully seating the torque converter (hindsight is a wonder thing, too bad it's always late coming), so I had to yank it all out again and take it to a tranny shop. BTW, all this is being done on jackstands in my home garage. Turns out to have been a blessing in disguise as I was shown clutches metal-to-metal, and serious notches on the hub, etc.

The shop (Dewey's Transmission in Melbourne FL) came recommended by the owner of the gas station/repair shop near my house, and by the chief mechanic/consultant at the Air Force Base Auto Hobby Shop (I work on the base).

Anyway, they used my old tranny, the new (used) differential, and inserted new master overhaul kit (with clutches, etc), a solenoid pack, rebuilt the Torque Converter, put in a bushing kit, and a new seal tube (goes from the tranny to the TC through the diff).

Got the parts, labor (and tax) with a 1-year, unlimited mileage warranty for $1595.

Can't tell you how smooth the SVX feels compared to my MR2 (fun, but not a cruiser), and how happy I am to be rolling again - now if I can just get my A/C working properly!
Old 06-11-2002, 12:32 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Sounds to me like you owe someone at least a raffle ticket at Earl's Hideaway in Sebastian next 12/7. You know, where they raffle off a chance to twist the crank on the demo' box, blowing up a rice burner on the end of the dock...

Glad to hear it's working right, you better haul them buns (and shrimp and fish- actually I prefer gator tail and frog legs ) up to Lafayette. I plan to be down there to visit mom & pop before the end of the year (in Vero) and you know I'll be looking for an oyster chuggin' buddy at Summit's Landing....

"Old men in tank tops, cruisin' the gift shops, checkin' out chiquitas down by the shore..." (the lost verse)
Old 06-11-2002, 01:14 PM

Beav,

Doubt I can make it to Lafayette this summer, but I most definitely owe you a beer, or an oyster, or a raffle ticket (or maybe all three). Looking forward to the possibility this fall/winter that you come down - definitely drop me line.

Stevesby,

If you're out there, and you're ever in my neck of the woods (well actually there are no "woods" here on the beach, but you get the drift), then the same goes.

thanks guys, I'm now up to 118 miles since rebuild - 30+ years driving, about 5 working as a parts changer (can't honestly claim to ever being a mechanic) and I've never been so nervous about a car before - think it has anything to do with my wife's harassing me I should have bought a Supra?

Lee
Old 06-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I was referring to those that turned you on to a good price on your rebuild - but I may take you up on a beer someday, you know, just for the fun of it....