SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 06:20 PM
greg

Question Trailer Hitch?

Hey out there,
Does anyone have any idea about if and where I could find a trailer hitch for either my '92 SVX or my '84 GL wagon. I an pretty sure I need a class II. I have looked everywhere I can think of in town and I searched the regular engines...but nothing. I just bought a boat without thinking about how to get it home. It never dawned on me that I would not be able to get a hitch...maybe someone out there can help me?
Thanks -G

Old 05-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You *might* find one for the wagon, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high. I doubt that anyone makes one for the SVX, considering the limited chances a manufacturer would have for finding someone that would actually buy one.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:12 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
No help here other than to tell you there is no hitch available for the SVX, the lower lip on the rear bumper makes it all but impossible.
I believe that for the GL there is a class I and maybe a class II hitch, We have a dealer catalog at work and I'll try to check next week, I know there is one for the XT's as I was just checking a couple weeks ago.
Hope this helps,
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-31-2002, 11:08 PM
greg

thanks,
that will definatly help, I have tried everywhere to find one and I have had no luck! I was kinda hoping to find something for the ol GL anyway, I know the minute I start to pull a boat with the SVX the tranny will be as good as gone! But either way, I will be happy.
-G

Old 06-01-2002, 06:53 AM
Green1995SVX

I remember seeing a pic of a svx with a hitch on it. It connected between the two rear tow hooks. I'll look into that.

-Mike
Old 06-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Trailer hitch (a little long)

You can get a hitch for your SVX and your EA81 wagon. The question is how much you want to pay for one for your SVX. I looked for about 8 months for one. There isn't a single manufacturer who makes one, however, I was quoted $950 canadian to have one made at the factory of one of the hitch companies (I can't remember which one of the top of my head). Oh yeah, you gotta take your car there and have it in their custom shop for a couple of days.

As for your wagon, I've seen some wagons that have hitches on them. They are definately not class II hitches though. If your boat and trailer weighs anymore than 1000 lbs you don't want to be towing it with your wagon anyway. There is a place called www.hitch-web.com (I'm not positive on the address but if you do a search on yahoo it'll be there). You can get a hitch for a brat (which I have for my sailboat- its actually hooked up now) and one for a hatch. I would think the hatch might fit your wagon but not positive. The guy who runs the website is real nice. Call him if your willing to pay the $150 and he'll work with you to see if he can get it.

If your not in a hurry, I think I can score you one from Harry's U Pull it in Hazelton. There was a wagon with one on there about 4 months ago when I was there last. I'd imagine its still there. Only problems are 1. I'm not positive it's a bolt on like the one for my brat is and 2. I'm away next weekend so the soonest I could get up there would be the weekend of the 15th. Let me know though. If its there and I can get it off it'll be yours for under 50 bucks.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:04 PM
greg

I am willing to pay up to about $200.00 for a hitch. I hope that is not too cheap. If I am correct the back of my wagon and the back of a brat are the same underneath? I think the boat and trailer are around 2,000#. I am pushing my luck and already know that but I my mom has a boat slip at her house so i wil only have to pull it about two or three times per year at the most! Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 06-02-2002, 02:34 PM

trailer hitch

Like I said. I think I can come up with a hitch for a ea81 wagon. The Brat has a different rear bumper set up than the wagons and hatchbacks. Remember it has the plate below the bumper instead of between the rear lights. That's why I would think the Da'lan brand hitch for the hatchback might work. You gotta keep in mind that its rated for 1000lbs. A 2000lb boat is real big. What is it a ski boat? I can pull my sailboat which is probably around 800lbs w/o much problem but I'd suspect you'll kill your clutch if it does weigh 2000lbs. I usually put my Brat in 4x4 low to pull it out of the water. It seems to do it okay.

Like I said if you want me to pull the hitch of the wagon at the local pull-a-part I'd be happy to but won't go to the trouble trying unless I'm sure you'd want it.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:35 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I just checked our supplier, and the oldest listed Subaru is the 85-86 Wagons, but I'm sure a competant welding shop could make you one.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 06-03-2002, 07:35 AM
Lowered SVX

dont you dare!!!!

please tell me that you would not put a trailer hitch on the SVX?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-03-2002, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
i was going to buy a jet ski 2 months ago , until i found out uhaul does not have hiches for svx, after 4 shops here in orlando florida area this is what i had to do ,, one place the only place who could do it would be upwards of 500.00 everything included and take 2 days of work that was the most it would be, it would be a full custom job only rated for jet skis,, no one sells prefab kits, best of luck
Old 06-04-2002, 06:14 PM
greg

You got me!

Bob,
Thanks for putting so much effort forth for me, I really appreciate it. I have no other alternative I guess than to let you look into the used one. I would appreciate it if you would. I guess I am going to give it a try (for awhile) . My mother is getting a new car within the next two or three months, little does she know but I will be putting a hitch on it! But for now I think old Helga is going to try to pull the boat! Let me know what I need to do. If the "you-pull-it" place takes credit cards I would be happy to get with them and pay for it up front.... or what ever. How can I be certain it will work? Thanks..
-G

BTW, yes I would have put a hitch on the ol SVX but I had rather hoped it would be a "hide a hitch". I have three choices only...
1.) To put a hitch on the old '84 GL (my first choice anyway)
2.)To put a hitch on the SVX (not my favorite but an option)
3.) Trade the SVX for a boat pulling car (not an option, I will never, ever, not in a million years, ever, even for a katrillion buckaroonies, not on my death bed trade my SVX!!!!!!!!)

So what choice do I have?

-G
Old 06-04-2002, 06:52 PM

Reading this post was a big wake-up call for me, I thought one could easily and cheply put a hitch on any car!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:58 PM

EA81 trailer hitch

I'll get up there next saturday. So long as its still there and it isn't welded on its yours. Everything there is quite cheap. $50 an engine, etc but its strictly cash. I doubt that the hitch would be more than 20 bucks. Really I doubt it would be more than 10 bucks. My guess is the shipping will be just as much as the hitch. I'll let you know after I grab it. Its on an EA81 wagon now so I wouldn't see why it wouldn't fit. If its like the one for my brat you'll have to drill 5 holes (4 in the cargo area and one under the rear bumper to attach it but other than that its a breeze). Now just keep your fingers crossed that its there.

Talk to ya later
benebob
Old 06-05-2002, 03:50 PM
greg

THANKS!!!

I really appreciate the effort, Thank you!
-G