Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-17-2001, 12:37 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
I'm sure I've mentioned it someplace before but I'll mention it again. Subaru has and continues to scavenge components from current production models to use in new releases. When the SVX came along they pulled from the Legacy product. The trans is basically a Legacy trans with different gearing and some other changes. The early Legacys pumped out something like 130 HP so the trans and other suspension and drive line parts only had to stand up to that much force. Along comes the SVX at 230 HP and similar drive train and suspension parts are employed in the design. To avoid overstressing these parts the engine is "subdued" off the line and is not allowed to produce its full horse power even though full output comes somewhere around 5500 RPM. In aviation this is known as "de-rating" and is intended to make things last longer. The engine is "managed" to prevent you from shearing drive shafts, breaking mounts and blowing up transmissions. Push your foot down all you want, the engine will not produce more power than the drive train can accommodate. Once you are moving the stresses are much less and the car will honk along impressively. There are probably some people out there that will tell you ways to bypass this feature but have some money ready to replace busted stuff.

Good luck
JP, that is probably one of the best explanations of the SVX that I have heard - and also something that the "mod guys" should consider a little more when trying to turn it into a drag car.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-17-2001, 12:38 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<Little bastard dropped his nuts and RAN!>>

OUCH!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-17-2001, 12:48 PM
lightning_8669

<<OUCH! >>

But I'm a compassionate man, I swerved to miss them. My guess is he went back to get them and had himself a swell weekend
Old 05-17-2001, 10:42 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Squirrels

You think that squirrel dropped his nuts?

I was in UK in the summer of 95, rented a Renault Clio, and drove around for 3 weeks.

I was at the old schoolyard of my girlfriend's, and the driveway out was wooded, with squirrels running around. A squirrel was in my way, and as I approached, it darted left, I swerved left, and when it changed direction and darted right, I swerved right. Poor thing didn't know what do to except to freeze, and I drove "over" it, as in it went right under the middle of the car, and it scrambled off right after I passed it.

I still remember the look of that stunned squirrel as it disappeared under the hood of the car.

Now, if anyone of you decides to get in my way, let this serve as a reminder of what I may or may not "run over".

VK

P.S. What was this thread about again?
Old 05-18-2001, 12:42 AM
museumquality

Unhappy drag not in a svx

just sit the light out and let them know its not worth your time, thats the best sort of dragin w/ the svx. because few know about it, they question how fast it is. let them wonder,, and keep wonderin.. if you are up to racein a toyota tercel or something, that doesn't tell much of t he car, if you take it to the tracks? and don't have any real mods, then sit it out, let people admire your wheels, don't show them those high #s. if you know you can get at least somewhere in the 13s, then drag and push it.
this car shows itself speed wise on the freeways, then you can push it, this i agree is where this car performs well. the comment on 50 mph run start, exactly! thats it. thats about it.
rally car, this car would be alot of fun, unfortunaly this sport is extremely expensive already, and this happens to be an expensive car, therefore killing that idea, the weight of the car would destroy just about everything, your first air and it would be over.
this car is a looker, a classic 90's car, that will look advanced for along time to come. they can look as if they are off the lot last month, i get questions from customers, - i see you have a new car, how much did it cost you?? what is it?? they have no idea on anything about this car, i took it to a local shop in town, one mechanic came out to review the situation, 3 more then came out, they were all asking questions about the car, checking it out.

think about all those new cars out, the celica, eclipes, prludes, they are all cut with a, to date look, but are they attractive, no. there is something missing from them all. it's called soul, they are souless in my mind. the svx,, has great soul, it shows a certain difference with strength. it forces them to look and study it. every stop light you pull up to, they point they glare, they love it. and so do we.

this car is to be seen, not to drag the streets agaist the battle machines.
this car is in a class by itself.
i've had many cars, much faster than the svx, but the svx is my favorite to date.

although my rover is right there in its own positive ways.

jimis just practicing his typing skills

Old 05-18-2001, 01:16 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
museumquality:
Well said!! You da man! Finally someone else who has the same point of view!
Lwin
Old 05-18-2001, 06:04 AM
lightning_8669

<<Now, if anyone of you decides to get in my way, let this serve as a reminder of what I may or may not "run over". >>

Birds

I hit birds. Lots of birds.

In all my years of driving I have hit one squirrel, one rabbit, one bat (yes bat, was going for a bug going for my head light and I think I got them both, sure about the bat) and loads of birds. Little birds, big birds, slow birds and fast birds. Creamed an owl one morning right in the grill, spead giblets all over the AC condenser on the old GL. One day, while driving at 75mph I spanked a morning dove with the pea at the end of the car's antenna. Bet that left a mark! Had a baby black bird crash into the B pillar on my brother's Omni while I was driving. Exploded into a cloud of gray/black feathers inside the car. It fluttered around for a couple of seconds before flopping down on the floor by the passenger's seat, twitched a couple if times and died.

None of these were intentional on my part just so the animal rights folks don't come hunting for me.

Birds, lots of birds. Now lightning on the other hand, that's a whole 'nuther story.

Oh, and I think we were talking about drag racing by the way
Old 05-18-2001, 08:58 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
<rally car, this car would be alot of fun, unfortunaly this sport is extremely expensive already, and this happens to be an expensive car, therefore killing that idea>

Mmmm depends on the the type of rally. I'm thinking more in the TSD style or possibly rally cross. I agree with you that this car would probably die on the first hill...but I'm sure it would do fine at lower speeds.

As for the expensive part...yes and no. I totally agree this is the most comfortable car I've had the luxery of owning. However mine being of the under $1000 kind...I'm not exactly TOO worried about throwing it sideways in a corner down some log road. BIG emphasis on TOO. But, at the same token...you don't see me wanting to drive my Sunfire anymore either!
Old 05-18-2001, 09:33 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
<<Now, if anyone of you decides to get in my way, let this serve as a reminder of what I may or may not "run over". >>

Birds

I hit birds. Lots of birds.

Been there, done that too. Hit a seagull at 50MPH.

The seagull spread its wings immediately after I hit it, but probably from it spinning out of control until it hit the ground.

What the hell a seagull was doing flying that low above the freeway in rush hour 50MPH traffic, I will never know. I mean, their aim from the sky is usually pretty remarkable, especially the day after I've waxed my car.

VK
Old 05-18-2001, 10:20 AM
KEVINL

I'm sorry u obviously didn't realize. I have a rear wheel drive turbo SVX