How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-11-2001, 05:52 PM
museumquality

Help! Remote code to work w/ car

How do i tune my new remote switch to work with my current alarm, i don't have a factory manual, can't figure it out. anyone know how?
Old 05-11-2001, 06:48 PM
zsvx

Re: Help! Remote code to work w/ car

Quote:
Originally posted by museumquality
How do i tune my new remote switch to work with my current alarm, i don't have a factory manual, can't figure it out. anyone know how?
From http://my.voyager.net/tmclane/

How do you reprogram the remote keyless entry transmitter?

This procedure is used if you need to program a new transmitter or additional transmitters. Programming is done by pressing the button on the transmitter after entering the programming mode. To enter the programming mode, use the following procedure:

Turn the security system off by pushing the security switch (light off).
Turn the ignition switch on, then off.
Immediately push the security switch on and off rapidly until the horn starts to beep; then stop pushing. The system is now in the programming mode and you are ready to program the transmitter. The programming mode is indicated by the parking
lights flashing and a clicking noise emanating from the glove box.
To program two transmitters slowly press the remote button two times on each transmitter.
To program one transmitter slowly push the remote button four times.
Note: The parking lights will turn on when the button is pushed and turn off when the button is released.
To exit programming mode, turn the ignition switch on, then off. The parking lights will stop flashing and the system can be used normally.
Old 05-11-2001, 06:54 PM
museumquality

Question

my light doesn't work on my security switch on the dash, i need to figure out whats on some how, i think it auto sets if its on.
i'll give it a try.
i appeciate the fast response, getting ready to go home and put the motor back together, and now i can take care of this , thats great, next week paint and hood.
thanks for the help,
Old 05-11-2001, 07:06 PM
zsvx

Quote:
my light doesn't work on my security switch on the dash, i need to figure out whats on some how, i think it auto sets if its on.
When the light is off and you press the button on your remote the doors will lock but the security system will not be activated. As far as I know the security system can not be activated with this light off.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:17 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by zsvx
When the light is off and you press the button on your remote the doors will lock but the security system will not be activated. As far as I know the security system can not be activated with this light off.
Right you are, "Z" (you said I could, right? ) If the light ain't on, the security system won't work. Trouble is, if the light don't work, chances are, the security system won't either. The module is most likely bad (another personal SVX-perience). I replaced mine with used unit. Works fine now. It could possibly be a burnt lamp. Let's hope that's all it is. The trick is remembering, when you push the switch "rapidly" whether you stopped in the first position you started with, so if it doesn't work, you can start in the opposite position the next time you try. (If you think that SOUNDS confusing, wait til you start trying to figure it out in the car )
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-11-2001, 08:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<i need to figure out whats on some how, i think it auto sets if its on.>>

Only if you use the key. The "passive arming" feature was "upgraded" out in (I think) May of '93 on a re-call. If you lock your doors with the key, with the security switch in the on position, and wait about 45 seconds, you'll hear the door locks disengage, then, engage again and the parking lights blink (no horn). When you return to your car, and unlock the door with the key, you'll hear a "clicking" sound. That's a ten second countdown to all-out alarm activation. Luckily, I think the engine shut down feature was disabled also -- if you miss the mark, just start the car with the key to shut off the alarm (or, at least that's the way it worked on my car).
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-11-2001, 09:25 PM
museumquality

Unhappy

well i tried the rappid button activity, with no luck, its dead, i'll try locking with the key, see if there is any response, i'll do it twice with the led probem switch.
any other ideas on trouble shooting? can i pick up any unit say out of a dump yard svx??
i don't want to pay the 400.00 for the complete new system.

thanks for the help
Old 05-11-2001, 10:08 PM
museumquality

Question

i am able to lock the door w/ key, and like you said within a short time it unlocks/locks engages alarm. then i try again, turn off burned led button switch, rapid pushing of the button, w/ no response, no horn or anything. is it poss, that i need a new alarm unit?
Old 05-11-2001, 11:55 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
i am able to lock the door w/ key, and like you said within a short time it unlocks/locks engages alarm. then i try again, turn off burned led button switch, rapid pushing of the button, w/ no response, no horn or anything. is it poss, that i need a new alarm unit?
Yes, all of the units are the same. The only thing that changed was the location of the box. In 92's (and I think, 93's) the control unit is located behind the glove box. It's a PITA to pull the glove box and pull the unit.

I also know, that on the '92s, there was a problem with oxidation on the security switch that caused it to stop working. They developed an upgraded switch and suggested simply pushing the switch in and out several times to "clean" the oxidation from it until the new switch unit arrived (this was in a TSB)

There is also a possibility that, if you pull the control unit and clean the contacts on both the unit and the wiring harness, the system may come to life again (again, possible oxidation). If not, try the dump yards. If yours is a 95 or newer, the control unit is attached to the metal shelf of the rear window deck (where the speakers are). Just remove the trim from inside the trunk to reveal the box.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-12-2001, 12:03 AM
museumquality

Smile great

any advise on the removal of the glove box, tricks - cautions. i will attempt this sunday morning, after i finish the motor work, and the driver window. something snapped in the window, thunk, probably snapped a cable, or cable connection.

your help is greatly appreciated!

jimi drives the same as you, 92 pearl/black 98,000
Old 05-12-2001, 12:21 AM

Registered SVX
The booger of the whole situation is not being able to get the danged door out of the way. One of the door stays is "cabled" in. I never did figure out how to release it. One of the stays pops out.

Another pain is the bracket in the back. It's very difficult to see. You have to "feel" where to replace the screws. Also, make sure you kinda keep track of the screws and the way the fit into the very back of the box. You have some screws, and then, you have some heavy bolts.

When you get ready to physically pull the plastic glove box out, you're going to feel like you're going to tear it up. It's a tight fit. You'll just have to work with it.

Do you know where the control unit is located. If not, I think I have a diagram in my files here somewhere. I'll e-mail it to you if you wish.

Like anything else, you just have to be patient and take your time with the job. It's fairly straightforward, just a lot of tight squeezes and "blind" screws. And, some "standing on your head" much like with the Noise Supressor mod (which I have yet to attempt because I don't like standing on my head.)

I can't remember if the passive keylock feature worked on mine when my module went bad, or not. Does your car do the countdown when you open the door with the key? Have you tried to set it off by opening the trunk with the alarm set? If it operates, that means the unit is, at least, partially good. May just be oxidation, like I said. I used WD-40 to clean my contacts. It was all I had. You might want to use some zero residue contact cleaner. Which reminds me. Open the box and use contact cleaner on the little actuator spring. That may also be a trouble spot. Once you open the unit, you can miss it. It's the only spring in the thing. If you use zero residue contact cleaner, just spray down the entire inside of the unit, maybe it's just gathered a little too much dust over the years.

Good luck.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-12-2001, 08:39 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
The booger of the whole situation is not being able to get the danged door out of the way. One of the door stays is "cabled" in. I never did figure out how to release it. One of the stays pops out.

I recently removed the door portion of the glove box. The right support on the door doesn't come out, but you can remove the support from the door itself by moderately tapping it from the door side. Leave the support there, remove the door only without the support.

I removed the door portion because my glove box lock was busted when I bought the car. After removing the screws at the bottom of the glove box door at the hinge, and fighting with it until the lock unlatched, I removed the door so I can take it indoors to fiddle with the lock.

VK
Old 05-12-2001, 09:44 AM
kvnobrien

security button

I replaced the batteries in my remotes.
I trying to reset the alarm system by truning the ignition switch on, then off.
I press the security button on and off rapidly for 2 minutes without any luck. How long does this usually take? Cause my arm was getting tired.
Old 05-12-2001, 11:25 AM

Registered SVX
<<The right support on the door doesn't come out, but you can remove the support from the door itself by moderately tapping it from the door side. >>

Thanks VK. It's information I hope I never need again, but, it's nice to know. What exactly do you mean by "moderately" tapping. I just want to make sure I don't lose something in the translation from US English and Canadian English -- I mean, what you guys call "ponds" we call "lakes!" I just want to make sure the translation doesn't skew over to "moderate."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-12-2001, 11:28 AM

Registered SVX
Re: security button

Quote:
Originally posted by kvnobrien
I replaced the batteries in my remotes.
I trying to reset the alarm system by truning the ignition switch on, then off.
I press the security button on and off rapidly for 2 minutes without any luck. How long does this usually take? Cause my arm was getting tired.
Kevin, my man! I was just thinking about you last night. I was using the cigarette lighter in my wife's van. I pushed it in, and when it came out, it shot out between the two front seats. (Everybody, ask Kevin about his "lighter launcher" mod).

At any rate, you shouldn't have to push the button in and out "rapidly" more than ten times before the "program mode" kicks in. Make sure you're starting with the security system button OFF (not blinking).
Subaru Ambassador